Photo

Xbox live accounts being hacked?

• Please log in to reply
223 replies to this topic

#46 Ayepecks

Ayepecks

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:16

I think Microsoft should come clean on this including specifics of what exactly is happening with these "hacked" accounts. That is the only sure way to sort this mess out. Are all hacked accounts from UK?

I'm sure if they knew the specifics, they'd announce them. I can't imagine them willfully not giving us the information after the PSN fiasco.

I do find it interesting that nothing's really been said publicly about it yet, though. During the same time this has been happening, I know quite a few friends and relatives who have had their Gmail and Yahoo! Mail accounts hacked (people that aren't stupid with where they input their information). I think there's something to that, personally... wonder what hackers/crackers have thought of now.

#47 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:04

I'm sure if they knew the specifics, they'd announce them. I can't imagine them willfully not giving us the information after the PSN fiasco.

I do find it interesting that nothing's really been said publicly about it yet, though. During the same time this has been happening, I know quite a few friends and relatives who have had their Gmail and Yahoo! Mail accounts hacked (people that aren't stupid with where they input their information). I think there's something to that, personally... wonder what hackers/crackers have thought of now.

This is interesting since your Live account is basically your email account, so if that info gets hacked from some other source and all these hackers are doing then is trying it on Live to see if they work, then that'd explain it.

#48 Colicab

Colicab

DGDesign

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:14

Lets see

Hacked,

then locked out of Live for 30days, then wait 10days for refund to be processed, then wait 30days for it show up in bank. Fyi im now into my 38th day since MS completed there investigation and still no refund, despite them clearly telling me they are. Ive phoned 3 times now and all I get is "be patient".

Total and utter ****ing joke. Im off live after my 2 free months are up. MS your customer service is total ****!!

#49 Ayepecks

Ayepecks

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 December 2011 - 16:32

This is interesting since your Live account is basically your email account, so if that info gets hacked from some other source and all these hackers are doing then is trying it on Live to see if they work, then that'd explain it.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. I know it's anecdotal, but I find it strange that numerous friends and family members have had their Gmail and Yahoo! Mail accounts hacked around this same time, when I've never had any friends or family members say it's happened to them before. My dad's Yahoo! Mail account got hacked, for instance, and he only uses it for work-related stuff (it's different than his work e-mail, I mean, but he uses it mainly for work). He's pretty tech savvy, too.

I'm not making excuses for Microsoft, because if this happened and it's their fault, then own up; I just think it's too similar to be coincidence.

#50 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 01 December 2011 - 16:35

I'm sure if they knew the specifics, they'd announce them. I can't imagine them willfully not giving us the information after the PSN fiasco. I do find it interesting that nothing's really been said publicly about it yet, though. During the same time this has been happening, I know quite a few friends and relatives who have had their Gmail and Yahoo! Mail accounts hacked (people that aren't stupid with where they input their information). I think there's something to that, personally... wonder what hackers/crackers have thought of now.

I agree, I just meant to say that if this is not their fault - they should not take heat for any of their partners, EA or whatever (they did this in a stupid way taking blame for the Yahoo data hog bug on WP7). If this is a problem in their service - Windows Live ID compromised etc. then make it clear and swiftly.

#51 WalleO

WalleO

Neowinian

Posted 01 December 2011 - 18:56

I can confirm that this also happened to me... twice now. just yesterday i was charged for a game i never authorized. i also had it happen about a month ago for the first time. i was charged 3 seperate charges on the same day for games i didnt approve. I was also locked out my live account with my password changed. i had to reset my password to log into my email only to discover the charges. i immediately called microsoft and remove my card on file. it took some 30 days before they finally unlocked my account and i had my bank refund my money while they opened an investigation. It was just last week i added a new card on file so i could buy some DLC content and now ive been hacked again. Ive decided to permanently take off any CC i have on my account and just buy the points offline.

#52 mattmatik

mattmatik

formerly soLoredd

Posted 01 December 2011 - 19:48

That could be the case but that also means my Gmail was hacked initially. I don't use that email for anything else. So its either on Google or MS.

But in my case, my gamer tag was also changed, and they changed my preferred language (from English to Spanish). In addition to the charges made. I really would suggest to everyone to pull your CC info and just buy online points/LIVE renewal cards.

#53 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

Posted 01 December 2011 - 21:39

This sounds a lot worse than the PSN hack.

PSN hack = your name, email, maybe password, and address where taken, but no one lost money.
360 hack - they got the same info, but you also lost out on money
Both systems now showing downtime for each.

#54 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 01 December 2011 - 21:51

This sounds a lot worse than the PSN hack.

PSN hack = your name, email, maybe password, and address where taken, but no one lost money.
360 hack - they got the same info, but you also lost out on money
Both systems now showing downtime for each.

Yeah this one is worse than the PSN hack, but the difference is that this one is only person-to-person whereas the PSN hack took down the system for everybody.
And on top of that, the PSN hack occurred just as Portal 2 came out which prevented people from activating it for a few weeks.

#55 Gotenks98

Gotenks98

Neowinian

Posted 02 December 2011 - 05:05

SO MAD RITE NOA!!!!! :angry: I can confirm something has happened. My account had a second 1 year sub added as well as 5600 MS points. All of this was transfered to another account. I called them and had my account frozen and credit cards removed. I will be getting a refund in a few days. I think this will end up worse than the Sony thing because these guys are buying all kinds of crap on Xbox live. I do information security as my job so I know all the do's and dont's in terms of account stuff. What gets me is I had a really hard password. What I think is happening is these guys are bypassing authentication all together and just ganking accounts as they see fit. Some of the others I have seen this happened to dont even own a computer and just entered their card info just on the console only. That makes me think the system has been hacked.

#56 Ayepecks

Ayepecks

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 December 2011 - 05:43

Nothing's happened to me, but I'm removing my credit card from my profile just to be safe (even though it's expired; it's since been renewed, but not sure how much information they'd be able to utilize from the expired information). I only used it once anyway -- I buy all my points and whatnot through prepaid cards.

#57 XPGoD

XPGoD

The XPGoD

Posted 02 December 2011 - 05:56

This is super interesting to watch unfold. It would appear that someone knows something that someone else is not wanting to discuss as they are really unware of the facts. I know that sounded odd... but from my "digging" it appears they are using a flawed "recover your account" feature to hack accounts.... this is super simple for them to trace if they needed to. This actually reminds me of the flaw in TMobile Sidekicks back when Paris le Hilton's crap was leaked.... oh the good ole days...

All in all, it would appear that all they need is a gamertag... nothing else.... BUT, they may be using the system for more... if they can say, reset the LiveID password, they can then give this info out for pillaging and internets...or 9000 emails to be sent on your behalf.

It would appear this is the "same" flaw that caused the graphic images to show up in Facebook... as the two appear to be related in their method.

I know I don't post on here alot, but I have funny little ways of connecting the dots.. and you'll see...it is totally a Microsoft issue with XBL... not your emails getting hacked then XBL.

#58 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 02 December 2011 - 16:25

For people who are facing these "hacks", would you mind posting links to your gamertag on Xbox.com?

This sounds a lot worse than the PSN hack. PSN hack = your name, email, maybe password, and address where taken, but no one lost money. 360 hack - they got the same info, but you also lost out on money Both systems now showing downtime for each.

They didn't get info on all members. :huh: WTF are you talking about? PSN was ****ed to hell compared to this. There is also a good chance that some people will end up being victims of id theft as a result of PSN hack.

#59 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

Posted 02 December 2011 - 16:35

For people who are facing these "hacks", would you mind posting links to your gamertag on Xbox.com?

They didn't get info on all members. :huh: WTF are you talking about? PSN was ****ed to hell compared to this. There is also a good chance that some people will end up being victims of id theft as a result of PSN hack.

First, anyone that is getting their Xbox Live account hacked, is most likely getting the same information that was taken from PSN users. Your live account most likely has your email, address, and other information linked to it. So yes, they are getting that.
Second, if you actually had your facts correct, you would know that Sony did encrypt the really sensitive information, and as of today, there has still not been a single report of someone having their credit card information stolen and used. Also, Sony provided 1 year free credit protection, so that if somehow, the encrypted info was taken and decrypted, you can keep track of your credit.
Third, tons of accounts on Live have already been charged for hundreds to thousands of dollars of items. Seeing how PSN didn't, I would count this as a more damaging incident.
You can be a fanboy all you want, but don't ignore the real issues, and you may want to better educate yourself on what exactly happened with the PSN hack.

My friend had his account hacked just the other day. He is ****ed, as rent is now due, but he doesn't have the funds. Luckily his girlfriend can front him the money... but this is hurting users a lot, and MS needs to get a hold of the issues pronto. At least Sony took the right step in shutting the whole network down to insure nothing else would happen. MS seems just dandy letting it happen, and not doing much to actually stop the hacking. It's good they are investigating it, but they need to do something more preventative.

#60 AbandonedTrolley

AbandonedTrolley

Dexter Freak

Posted 02 December 2011 - 16:44

I mentioned this in a Sony thread when someone was badmouthing PSN saying it wasn't safe.

To date I still don't know any real life occurances of anyone having had their details used for fraud or theft from the PSN hack. This hack hasn't been proven to be directly linked to the 360 and Live service but it's certainly linked to Microsoft as a company. People are getting in hurt a lot more financially by this than they did with the PSN downtime.

Fallout from Sony hack - Network downtime, (no publicised cases of fraud yet)
Fallout from Microsoft hack - People having money taken from accounts, gametags suspended and having to wait for refunds.

Tell me which is worse please?