Why It

I enjoy the game and I'm glad someone wrote this up. I honestly agree that people who go way out of their way to hate on the game is just sad and proves to me that person really isn't a gamer. I do agree though that it's almost identical to the past, but I don't care. I'm going to put massive hours in this game and enjoy it. It's worth it in the long run for me at least.

I dislike it cause it's not Modern warfare it's Current if it were modern it would have something like an Ion cannon and Railguns.

Definition of MODERN

a : of, relating to, or characteristic of the present or the immediate past : contemporary b : of, relating to, or characteristic of a period extending from a relevant remote past to the present time

: involving recent techniques, methods, or ideas : up-to-date

capitalized : of, relating to, or having the characteristics of the present or most recent period of development of a language

Synonyms: contemporary, current, designer, hot, mod, modernistic, new, new age, newfangled, new-fashioned, present-day, red-hot, space-age, state-of-the-art, ultramodern, up-to-date, up-to-the-minute

I hate it because its been milked to death. Like Tony Hawk, Guitar Hero, Halo, Madden, NBA Live and the other games similar to that with no real story progression or real innovation. Its different when the game is so epic it needs multiple games to tell the whole story. While Halo has a nice story that could have been summed up in 2 games easily. Good games where it works out are like God of War, Legacy of Kain, Elder Scrolls and Resident Evil. Milking it to death like how they are doing is just wrong and not good for the fans of the series or franchise.

• Like 1

I think what people hate about it is how a company can get away with releasing garbage over and over again. They don't listen to what their customers want, take away what they already had (dedicated servers being one) and giving them a brand new title with a brand new price tag for a mere "expansion-quality" game.

• Like 4

I enjoy the game and I'm glad someone wrote this up. I honestly agree that people who go way out of their way to hate on the game is just sad and proves to me that person really isn't a gamer. I do agree though that it's almost identical to the past, but I don't care. I'm going to put massive hours in this game and enjoy it. It's worth it in the long run for me at least.

So if you hate Call of Duty then you're not a gamer? How did you leap to that conclusion? I hate the game when they publish a minor release and make it $60. Is it wrong to want more for your money now?

It's a shame that so many people have accepted this as the norm now. "Well, not much has changed and it's very similar to the last game I played $60 for, but I like it so I'll gladly pay full price for it. " That's all well and good. If you like it, buy it. But don't hate on people that want more and that want to see something different. I played Black Ops and really enjoyed it. They added a lot of new stuff to the game. Guns actually had some recoil and sounded better.

So if you hate Call of Duty then you're not a gamer? How did you leap to that conclusion? I hate the game when they publish a minor release and make it $60. Is it wrong to want more for your money now?

It's a shame that so many people have accepted this as the norm now. "Well, not much has changed and it's very similar to the last game I played $60 for, but I like it so I'll gladly pay full price for it. " That's all well and good. If you like it, buy it. But don't hate on people that want more and that want to see something different. I played Black Ops and really enjoyed it. They added a lot of new stuff to the game. Guns actually had some recoil and sounded better.

Maybe I didn't explain myself as well as I thought that I did, let me try again. It's almost the same concept of people watching different scary movies, we all know how they are and they are not even scary anymore yet we still pay to see them. Paranormal Activity is a great example: it's the "modern day" of horror and people are suckers for it, including myself. I'm just comparing Call of Duty to this, we are still suckers will continue to buy it because the method works. I never once said people who aren't gamers do not like Call of Duty. I said, if you go out of your way to make a point and to bash on the game you are not a true gamer, a true gamer wouldn't do that. I dislike Battlefield yet I don't go around talking about how bad it is, instead I talk about how great the graphics are and how I have enjoyed the game on the PC but hated it on the Xbox 360. You just read what you wanted to read and didn't examine what I said.

I agree to an extent. Hating a game because you think it's the cool thing to do is pointless.

However, you can make the argument that you hate a game for what it is doing to the gaming world. As an example, patches. There was a time where a game was playable from the beginning, and the gamer could go through without any hassle. However, with the introduction of faster internet, and machines that are always hooked up to the internet, the gaming industry seem to think that it's fine to release a game that isn't as polished as it could be.

Another thing is DLC, and this is one that I think the CoD series is pretty guilty of. Again, because of the internet the gaming industry thinks that it's perfectly acceptable to hold back on some things and then release it as DLC...for a price though. ?15 for a map pack that offers 4 new maps seems completely overboard, and for the most part I've stopped falling for it.

+1

I remember finding blindingly obvious bugs and glitches in Call of Duty: Black Ops two days after it was released. I pre-ordered and bought it because most of my friends play it, and I wanted to be able to play online with them. I remember going out and buying a brand new copy of "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time", and without using a gameshark or some crazy hack, there were absolutely ZERO bugs in that game, and most games of the time. Nowadays it is not uncommon for new games to be filled with bugs on release day, which may or may not be fixed with a patch later on.

Anyway, I'll stop myself before I get into a rant, I just wanted to say that the post I quoted pretty much sums up why I cancelled my pre-order of Modern Warfare 3 and probably won't bother buying any more Call of Duty games.

I don't agree with hating a blame blindly for no valid reason(s). If you have reasons though, I think it's okay to hate it as much as you want. And I'm sure a lot of people have a lot of reasons to hate MW3. The user reviews on Metacritic sort of reflect that:

MW3 (X360): http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-3

MW3 (PS3): http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-3

MW3 (PC): http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-3

I said, if you go out of your way to make a point and to bash on the game you are not a true gamer, a true gamer wouldn't do that.

Well **** me. I was playing games 10 years before you even existed so I guess I'm not a "true gamer" when I go out my way to point out MW3 is nothing but another cash cow release to milk more money from re-releasing practically the same game with almost identical assets and people seem to be buying it for the name only.

But I guess I'm not a "true gamer".

• Like 2

I understand what you're trying to say and I'm not trying to insult you. I think you're taking it a little too personal when I'm speaking in general terms. Be a critic if you wish, I stand by what I say and enjoy the game. I don't buy it for the name either. I buy it because I enjoy it, that doesn't mean I don't think it could be better than it is. I've already stated in the Call of Duty thread that the game needs a new engine and I might see that happening when the new consoles come out.

Dont care if others hate it or love it, since it doesnt change my view of COD. i personally enjoy it for what it is (6 or whatever hours of good fun).

Its important to control ones expectations...

• Like 1

This argument could easily be flipped in the other perspective!

People are being defensive and will not listen to anybody else's thoughts that has any inclination that it is a negative comment, just because it is a COD game I've already seen it that people 'flaming' others for a valid and mature negative opinion, It's just plain idiotic.

Personally I dislike this game and will not be buying because as many have said that it feel's like a rehash and that it shouldn't have had the price tag it got. Thats my opinion but I know full well that someone will be reading this and think "WTF he talking about such a newb...(and other stupid language)".

If someone likes the game fair doo's let them like it let them praise the game till the cows come home, If some dislike's fair doe's let them slag it off till blue in the mouth.

The problem is not the liking or disliking of a game that stupid! It's the responses that each opinion gets back because of it! That is where the problem is.

Thanks Matt

You know there's a problem when all you see on some friends activity on Xbox Live is a CoD game. To me, that person is not a gamer. I played the crap out of games like Crysis 2, Bulletstorm, and Mortal Kombat when they came out, but I've moved on to others to enjoy newer experiences. I do go back to those games from time to time as I do love them, but there's no way I can just strictly play one game till the next one releases.

I'm just glad to see I'm not the only one who sees that games like CoD are what's wrong with gaming today. Even a series like Gears of War didn't seem to innovate. From a gameplay standpoint, I can't tell the difference between GoW1 and GoW3. They're fine games on their own and I do think GoW3 is one of the better ones I've played. I just hated how there was no real gameplay beyond the cover based shooting, and, hell, I swear, half the time the game just went to a cutscene during a shoot out.

I think EA is one company that actually does try to push innovative games. Not all may sell like hotcakes, but they do provide new experiences. Even reviving old franchises like NBA Jam and NFL Blitz, they try to expand on what made the game great.

Bottom line is, if your game is selling like crazy like MW3 is, I'm pretty damn sure you can afford to innovate and bring something new to the table with the series. It may divide your fan-base, but that's a risk you have to take. One that could pay off. Nintendo's done it time and time again.

some people are just passive aggressive, they are angry at themselves for feeling compelled to buy COD titles, and then vent by badmouthing the very games they pay for. quite sad actually, just enjoy it or don't play the next one.

I didn't know you had to play certain games or avoid certain games to be a gamer. I might argue if you play casual games on your phone and have no interest in games beyond that, it's a stretch to call yourself a gamer. Plus, you probably wouldn't

Take a look at any comments section on almost any video game site on Earth and you'll see the same thing. People wondering aloud why the series is so popular, complaining about its incremental updates, mocking its design and lambasting those who have the tenacity to actually enjoy it.

Those people are idiots.

Those 3 things are perfectly legitimate criticisms. They aren't idiots for wondering what a game's appeal is. I wonder that about a few games. How a game is updated can be frustrating and "mocking" its design sounds like he's sad someone says mean things about a ****in' video game! Dude, come on. If people saying mean things about something you like bothers you; the internet isn't the place for you.

Bottom Line: If you think COD is rubbish and you want to criticize it, have fun. Be warned, though, you might come off like a dick. If you like it and want to play it, it seems there are literally millions of other people playing it too. You're not alone.

I've never heard of anyone hating this game. In fact, literally 100% of the people I've spoken to about Call of Duty are always surprised that I've never played any of them (and some call it refreshing). xD People love this series.

I've never heard of anyone hating this game. In fact, literally 100% of the people I've spoken to about Call of Duty are always surprised that I've never played any of them (and some call it refreshing). xD People love this series.

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1017708-call-of-duty-modern-warfare-3/page__st__525__p__594448885#entry594448885

see the above.

I almost believed this was a mature, thought out, logical arguement until the mentioning of Lisa Simpson.

LOL Something mature written by Kotaku??!?!? That'll never happen.

The world is a strange place now, with people hating random things for random reasons. In a sane world no one would hate a game because.... it's just a game, something to do for harmless fun. There are better things to save your hate for.

I actually like the (totally absurd) Modern Warfare series storyline, but it's too damn short to warrent a purchase as I zero interest in the multiplayer.

If I dont like something I make my voice, heard. Nor will I have someone imply im stupid for stating said opinion.

If anything its stupid to label people as anything just because they dont share an opinion or you think there joining the crowd. Your really no better than those you deem to be stupid, in fact a little worse for being so ignorant.