Desktop Environment   53 votes

1. 1. Which is your preffered desktop environment?

• KDE
    • Gnome-Shell (Gnome3)
    • Unity
    • XFCE
    • LXDE
    • Xmonad/Awesome/RatPoison or any Tiling Window Manager
    • Enlightenment
    • Other
  2. 2. Is Unity better than Gnome3

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

19 posts in this topic

Posted

Please put forth your view on which desktop environment you prefer and why.
Also have a look at the poll.

Posted

Uggg..Unity feels like cheap OSX.

Posted

never before has Unity divided people more.....
2 people like this

Posted

Gnome-shell all the way. Screw the haters, I really enjoy it :)

I feel like gnome shell is a far more polished experience than unity currently is. Compiz seems to have gotten significantly slower in the 0.9.x series (0.8.x much faster on my hardware) and unity still has lots of polishing needed. Gnome-shell is solid, fast, and stable (its main problem is missing options, but its been getting better each release, and gnome-tweak-tool helps a lot).
1 person likes this

Posted

What was the version of Gnome before the weird Gnome 3 ? Gnome 2.xx ?

The one that had all the useful settings in a nice easy to find menu at the top of the screen - that one was my favourite
2 people like this

Posted

[quote name='ViperAFK' timestamp='1321317244' post='594453569']
Gnome-shell all the way. Screw the haters, I really enjoy it :)
[/quote]

GNOME sHELL

Posted

Currently using Gnome Shell and sort of liking it.

I voted that both suck though, simply because I believe it's going to take another round of refinement for them to truly be usable. And there's a huge question mark if that will happen because the only thing is see is more iPad-ification/Metro-fication of both of them and dumbing them down even more to meet thestandards of tablet users, which is simply wrong for a desktop OS.

Posted

I love Gnome Shell. Considering my laptop doesn't have a graphics card, I can run Gnome Shell AND play 3D games reasonably well (40FPS), whereas with Unity my CPU load shoots up to 150% when I'm playing a game AND the mouse has lag problems.

Also, Unity is a bit too cluttered for my tastes; Gnome Shell is nice and minimal.

Posted

I prefer XFCE. It's the lightest weight, and works well.
I would have stuck with Gnome-Shell, however when I'm programming, I have multiple windows open, and I like going to the taskbar and selecting my next window. I don't do Alt+Tab, and moving my mouse to the top left everytime is a pain in the butt. And I don't want another taskbar just for that.
Once they add in more options, I might try it again, until then, I prefer XFCE, then KDE, and then Gnome-Shell

Posted

I have an older desktop and recently updated ubuntu to unity. After a few days i realized it'd turned my box into a zombie (slow moving; eats away at my brain) so i decided to try enlightenment, and was amazed at how much faster it was while still looking better imo. So I'm definitely with enlightenment.

Posted

Gnome Shell (3.2.1) is definately the best Linux UI available. Looks smart, clean, simple and bloat-free. Thats why Im loving Fedora 16

Posted

I prefer Unity,
surely it's a badass approach copying Aqua, but coming from a Mac I actually like a bit Aqua feeling in my GNU world! :)

Then again I will also say that it's not very well integrated so far and leaves me with too few costumization options.
Also it's drawing effects weirdly... :s
Like bringing back the menu bar shadow after you come from the virtual desktop view.
No smooth-in, not drawing the shadow during the "back to desktop" animation.
It leaves you with a hard cut on switch and annoticable gap after the animation completed.
ARGH!
Canonical, Y U NO DEPLOY PROPER GUI DRAWING ENGINE?!

[i]Glassed Silver:ios[/i]

Posted

[quote name='Glassed Silver' timestamp='1321357486' post='594454235']
Then again I will also say that it's not very well integrated so far and leaves me with too few costumization options.
[/quote]
Yes, that's a big issue with Unity, there's no easy way to customise it, and when there is, you can't customise much.

Posted

I never thought that Gnome-Shell will have so much support. Nevertheless my personal fav is KDE. People might say its bloated and all, but the thing is if you install KDE from scratch and selectively choose what you want, it isn't that bad. I don't have even one useless app and keep the desktop effects minimal.

Gnome-shell i tried, its good but i think i will wait for it to mature. It actually kill my productivity. It has minimal customization options and same goes for Unity.

Tiling WM are way above my head, though i would say if you have large monitor and you are keyboard freak, you would love it.

xfce & lxde are good but not at all beautiful. I want them to at least look decent.

Posted

I am using KDE 4.7.3 on Fedora 16 and I am loving it.

Posted

KDE anything on virtualbox is wonnnnnkayyyyy

Posted

Gnome Shell with Docky for the lack of window management.. works as a charm!

Posted

Gnome2.

Posted

I keep my desktop in my lounge.

[i]*looks at poll*[/i]