How to fix this weird corruption/artifact?

Any ideas what might be causing these of red artifacts on my xbox 360 screen? They seem to appear over everything but in different places depending what is on the screen.

I'm guessing it might be overheating (hopefully not!)

Also, I had an update last night which could have cause it. Who knows, Microsoft never tell you what the updates change!

Oh and obviously I'm in the new dashboard preview which is another possibility...

Ideas? :/

Update:

What's weirder is that this doesn't happen at all when the console is set to 720p

It only happens when it's set at 1080p but it's something that's only developed in the last week.

They look like dead/stuck pixles...but if they only occur at 1080p and only on ur 360 then they can't be...double check your connection, and maybe try the 360 on another screen/tv at 1080 if you can see if it happens there...if it does 360 issue, if it doesn't screen issue.

I have a similar problem-ish on my 360, but no-where near that bad, and also on an ATi radeon x1650 PRO card, but pretty bad, and only out one port (the other being fine). AFAIK it's a GPU chip or GPU memory problem, and to fix it would require a replacement.

Aside from 360 hardware issues, it could just be your HDMI cable :)

Unlike VGA which uses analogue-signaling with seperate R, G and B pins - HDMI is DIGITAL and therefore works out signals from 0 being 0v and 1 being 5V, or above 2.5V or so, therefore no matter what type of cable, it will not cause screen artifacts.

HDMI is DIGITAL and therefore works out signals from 0 being 0v and 1 being 5V, or above 2.5V or so, therefore no matter what type of cable, it will not cause screen artifacts.

FALSE!

HDMI does/can suffer from interference. And that interference manifests itself as "glimmering pixels". Very much akin to as seen here - but generally white not red.

Unlike VGA which uses analogue-signaling with seperate R, G and B pins - HDMI is DIGITAL and therefore works out signals from 0 being 0v and 1 being 5V, or above 2.5V or so, therefore no matter what type of cable, it will not cause screen artifacts.

err yes it will. a broken HDMI cable will cause anything from weird artifacts to stuttering picture to plain old whitenoise to no picture.

+1 to nik and hawk, try a different cable if you have one...if not go grab one...and only a ?5-10 cable, there is no difference up to the stupid ?40 ones.