External Display

Hello Everyone,

Quick question i have a old iMac later 2006 model 17" but the screen on it has gone kaput, only half of it works the rest of it is all fuzzy is their any ways i can get the installation wizard in OSX to show on an external monitor?

The machine itself works fine but the screen dosen't so i cant really see what i am doing.

Thanks

Rich

If half the screen is kaput then the whole screen is kaput. But if you had an external monitor, couldn't you hook it up to the iMac using the mini-DVI port?

If half the screen is kaput then the whole screen is kaput. But if you had an external monitor, couldn't you hook it up to the iMac using the mini-DVI port?

Did you even read his post!

I don't know that you can actually do this, I'm doubtful.

I think you will need to open your imac up and disconnect the screen manually. actually I don't think, I know that will work. I am sure you can find guides on the internet, if you mess things up it's no big deal cause the screen is already broken.

Once you disconnect the built in screen from the mobo it will see the external as the main display.

I dont' have a mac near me so I can't try this but what happens if you put in the installation disk while your system is up and running (you are looking at the external display in this scenario)? If it offers installation then you have the option of creating a small partition and installing to it, once it's all done you can go into that installation and wipe the old installation and rejoin the partitions.

this isn't exactly what you asked but it is a workaround solution to your problem.