Photo

Definitive Best Defragmenter 2012

defragmenter defrag 2012

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
48 replies to this topic

Poll: Definitive Best Defragmenter 2012 (446 member(s) have cast votes)

Your Choice?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Lee G.

Lee G.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 January 2012 - 12:59

An updated "Best Defragmenter" poll for 2012. Please use this as a reference when researching Defrag utilities. As time goes on, the poll can be updated to add further options.

Happy Voting!

#2 johnporter29

johnporter29

a = 1; b = 2; a + b = c

• Phone: Lenovo A820

Posted 01 January 2012 - 13:14

Other.

Not really neccessary these days with evolution of SSDs

#3 stereopixels

stereopixels

Neowinian

Posted 01 January 2012 - 13:23

Defraggler - it's free/donationware, it's quick, it's simple and it seems to do about as good a job as anything else I've tried.

#4 yowanvista

yowanvista

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: i9001-CM11-KitKat 4.4.4 - Kernel 3.4.102

Posted 01 January 2012 - 13:24

Defraggler

#5 deactivated_

deactivated_

Deactivated_

Posted 01 January 2012 - 13:30

I don't really use one anymore, but when I did it was PerfectDisk, which surprisingly isn't on the list.

#6 OP Lee G.

Lee G.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 January 2012 - 13:32

Defraggler - it's free/donationware, it's quick, it's simple and it seems to do about as good a job as anything else I've tried.

I voted for Defraggler for the same reasons.

#7 Miuku.

Miuku.

A damned noob

Posted 01 January 2012 - 13:37

Not really neccessary these days with evolution of SSDs

Yes and we all know how EVERYBODY has an SSD. Oh wait, in fact a mind bogglingly superior majority of people DON'T run on one.

#8 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 01 January 2012 - 13:45

It's not really necessary with regular disks either. even if another one is better than the windows built in one, it's not gonna matter one iota.

I don't see why these threads are made, it just keeps the illusion alive that people still need to defrag and use third party tools for it.

#9 sorlag

sorlag

Evoke the fire within

Posted 01 January 2012 - 16:08

The best defrager is MyDefrag which is the successor of JKDefrag:

Most defragers even slow down the disk...

Benchmark of all Defragers:
http://hofmannc.de/d...chmarks_en.html

MyDefrag:
http://www.mydefrag.com/

#10 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 01 January 2012 - 16:18

The best defrager is MyDefrag which is the successor of JKDefrag:

Most defragers even slow down the disk...

Benchmark of all Defragers:
http://hofmannc.de/d...chmarks_en.html

MyDefrag:
http://www.mydefrag.com/

MyDefrag is extremely solid because it is based on the standard defragmentation API by Microsoft, a system library that is included in Windows 2000, 2003, XP, Vista, 2008, and Win7. Most defragmenters are based on this API, including the free defragmenter that comes with Windows and many commercial defragmenters. Basically all MyDefrag does is send "move this file to that location" commands to the API. The API is part of the operating system and can safely move almost any file on the disk, without risk and while the computer is in full use.

Right from the MyDefrag site, basically I've seen this statement before and what it seems to say is, no matter what Defrag app you are using it still uses the API from Windows, essentially comes down to how efficient the APP is at sending the commands and how fast it is at doing so. Otherwise you are getting the same result from all defrag apps, except the real-time ones like DIskeeper which prevent the fragmentation on regular HDD's from happening in the first place.

#11 sorlag

sorlag

Evoke the fire within

Posted 01 January 2012 - 16:23

Right from the MyDefrag site, basically I've seen this statement before and what it seems to say is, no matter what Defrag app you are using it still uses the API from Windows, essentially comes down to how efficient the APP is at sending the commands and how fast it is at doing so. Otherwise you are getting the same result from all defrag apps, except the real-time ones like DIskeeper which prevent the fragmentation on regular HDD's from happening in the first place.

Not exactly.
The API's expose different routines and not one like "DefragTheDrive" or "DefragTheFile".
Youre able to get the fragmentlocations and place the file on another location or defragment it.
What MyDefrag is doing is, it reads the prefetchdata to know what libraries an app is loading and the lastaccesstimes and even defrags files in a folder to be next to each other.
Also MyDefrag lets you modify/create scripts to defrag the things you want, in your way, or simply share/download good scripts.

#12 Cast Iron Leader

Cast Iron Leader

Neowinian

Posted 01 January 2012 - 17:20

I know it shouldn't enter into it, but having just installed MyDefrag and after it finished defragging I was faced with a screen looking like this http://www.mydefrag....g/Snapshot2.gif - sorry but that is just plain butt ugly and even from a defragger I expect something on my screen which 1) looks good and 2) just from its visual display I can see whether or not my drive needs degragging and on those account5s MyDefrag is a fail.

#13 Miuku.

Miuku.

A damned noob

Posted 01 January 2012 - 19:48

Otherwise you are getting the same result from all defrag apps, except the real-time ones like DIskeeper which prevent the fragmentation on regular HDD's from happening in the first place.

It's not quite that simple - something a lot of people are forgetting is that you can never properly defragment a Windows (or any other OS with the exception of Linux) properly on the fly - the only way to get a full defragment including OS files+hiber+page is to either do it from an external boot source (DVD/CD/USB/Another OS) or by doing it pre-boot which for example O&O Defrag offers.

Also you can select various optimization methods which can boost your gaming performance quite a bit (Complete Name/Access/Modified for example - especially useful in games that have massive number of small files).

#14 leo_the_lion

leo_the_lion

Neowinian

Posted 01 January 2012 - 19:52

Wheres PerfectDisk?

#15 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 01 January 2012 - 19:54

Been using Puran. Whether it's best or not, who knows?!

http://www.puransoft...g-Download.html