Mac OS X Lion Lag

Hello everyone. I have a Windows 7 Ultimate with Intel Core i7 overclocked @ 4.2GHz and with 8GB of RAM and when I use my Mac OS X Lion with VMware, it lags. It's not a crazy lag but it does lag. Any idea what's wrong? Thanks,

Lion's UI is hardware accelerated, and VMWare doesn't provide hardware acceleration to Mac OS X under virtualisation, so the whole UI will be slow and crappy.

YouTube videos don't look laggy because you're just watching stuff happening and not actually using the machine and clicking the mouse. There's a big difference.

Lion's UI is hardware accelerated, and VMWare doesn't provide hardware acceleration to Mac OS X under virtualisation, so the whole UI will be slow and crappy.

YouTube videos don't look laggy because you're just watching stuff happening and not actually using the machine and clicking the mouse. There's a big difference.

No they click and everything. Here's an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3u_jnqR3ug

Your comparing your issue of virtualization lag on an unsupported OS in a virtual machine because people on YouTube can do it right?

At the attempt of trying to not sound like a jerk, because I'm trying not to, but maybe ask them how they got it working well?

And I don't think your understanding iKenndac fully to what he is trying to say. Just because in the video they are "clicking", doesn't mean it might not lag a second or two in real-time.

Your comparing your issue of virtualization lag on an unsupported OS in a virtual machine because people on YouTube can do it right?

At the attempt of trying to not sound like a jerk, because I'm trying not to, but maybe ask them how they got it working well?

And I don't think your understanding iKenndac fully to what he is trying to say. Just because in the video they are "clicking", doesn't mean it might not lag a second or two in real-time.

Actually, I just checked it out and it supports virtualization. Also, it obviously isn't lagging. If he's screen capturing a virtual OS and using it at the same and installing a bunch of crap on it with his original OS means that it doesn't lag.

This isn't really the place to get support for OS X on Windows, as it's not supported and I'm not even sure if it's allowed to do through the license agreement either.

This isn't really the place to get support for OS X on Windows, as it's not supported and I'm not even sure if it's allowed to do through the license agreement either.

Never said you couldn't. And should this be moved to the "Windows" forum? Hmm idk

Check to make sure that hardware virtualization is turned on, test another operating system in VMWare to see if that works correctly (Windows, Linux LiveCD), make sure you're giving the VM enough resources (CPUs, RAM, Video RAM), and that all your hardware is supported in OSX.

Check to make sure that hardware virtualization is turned on, test another operating system in VMWare to see if that works correctly (Windows, Linux LiveCD), make sure you're giving the VM enough resources (CPUs, RAM, Video RAM), and that all your hardware is supported in OSX.

Wow you're great! Thanks! :)

• 4 months later...

THIS IS A REAL WORKING TRUE FIX GUIDE FOR YOUR LAG FOR THE FIRST POST AT THE VERY TOP OF THIS BLOG HOPE THIS HELPS SORRY IF ITS CONFUSING THERE ARE ALOT OF STEPS i'm running mac os x lion 10.7.3 on an

hp envy 17 3D 2.0GHz processor its the lm126av 720GB 1080P 3D core i7 1GB video 8GB ram laptop on VMware workstation 8.0.1 working smooth with few bugs still listed below but its emulating a mac pc so i give it that much this fix i post here will fix lag while dragging windows etc. it will also fix lag when listning to music on itunes i tested it I had 4 apps open in the background and itunes played smoothly. internet surfing works etc... "you must add a sound card and the sound driver listed on the install guide if you followed the install guide properly. i provided the install guide i followed along with the link to all updates needed how to update properly and how to patch. Please let me know if this worked for you.

I am not responsible for what software you got legally or illegaly and installing mac software on a non mac piece of hardware IS illegal just so you know... so be cautious.

anyone having lag issues with this there is a fix "its not the best fix I had the same issue and found the fix however it only fixes lag such as dragging a window or having multiple applications open simotaniously, "youtube is still super laggy buggy and a few other flash sites are as well"

before i give the actual fix a list of other bugs i noticed even after fix... "performance is still slightly degraded on vmware such as "copy and pasting large amounts of data "music photos etc" will lag the entire Mac OS and might even spike the host PC as well. 1 or 2 items wont work within the current Lion OS such as icloud ive seen multiple reports it keeps giving the error on to many accounts created etc... i too have experienced that error no fix yet.

now here we go first off if your not fully updated to atleast 10.7.3 you can update it in vmware go to this link to find out how... link:

http://www.windows7h...side-windows-7/

in short if your confused... basic steps below:

----------------------------------------IF YOUR UPDATED PLEASE SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM AND READ ON BELOW THE NEXT LINE OF DASHES "-----------" FOR THE FIX----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-first off you MUST update 1 update at a time if you start at 10.7 you MUST update to 10.7.1... then to 10.7.2 then to 10.7.3 if you skeep it will "from what I hear" compleatly crash your OS x installation also ALWAYS take a snap shot BEFORE update

1. go to this link and download update 10.7.1 click telecharger button upper right corner: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1437

2. enter this into terminal: cp -r /System/Library/Extensions/AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext .

yes do NOT forget the period at the end of that command up there ^

3. now install the update within lion

4. enter this command now into the terminal and yes this is 2 commands but you can enter them both at the same time with this format: sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext; sudo cp -r AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext /System/Library/Extensions

5. reboot

6. go to this link for update 10.7.2 . http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1459

7. repeat steps 2-5 you do need to repeat these steps each time you update

8. go to this link for update 10.7.3 http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1459

dont forget to enter the commands in the terminal

you will notice this is not from apples website please trust me you are taking a snap shot right? this is working and if it fails you can always undo it this is directly off the website in the link i posted earlier from a trusted website its a guide i followed.

if for some reason the site isn't working you might be able to locate it from a google search right now i cant get onto it due to error... I would recomend a direct update download from mac located here: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1484

but this is the combo update only we need the non combo update... reports state combo update doesn't work well with vmware so far....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

anyways back to what we were doing fixing the lag go to this link to find this file dmg file within your mac os x vmware and install it "this is a video driver called VMsvga2_v1.2.5_OS_10.6-7

the file can be located here: http://sourceforge.n.../files/Display/

click "download installer" link at the top of the site from link above wait a few seconds and download.

also make sure you insatlled vmware tools "not from vmware because vmware doesnt support Mac OS x it will tell you there are no drivers etc.... you need the darwin ISO that should have come with your install files.

I installed this package and have yet to experience the lag you explained "other then when trasnfering large files or using high resource hog apps within mac...

any other issues you can email me at randumbguy8239 at hotmail dot com

Hello everyone. I have a Windows 7 Ultimate with Intel Core i7 overclocked @ 4.2GHz and with 8GB of RAM and when I use my Mac OS X Lion with VMware, it lags. It's not a crazy lag but it does lag. Any idea what's wrong? Thanks,

THIS IS A REAL WORKING TRUE FIX GUIDE FOR YOUR LAG FOR THE FIRST POST AT THE VERY TOP OF THIS BLOG HOPE THIS HELPS SORRY IF ITS CONFUSING THERE ARE ALOT OF STEPS i'm running mac os x lion 10.7.3 on an

hp envy 17 3D 2.0GHz processor its the lm126av 720GB 1080P 3D core i7 1GB video 8GB ram laptop on VMware workstation 8.0.1 working smooth with few bugs still listed below but its emulating a mac pc so i give it that much this fix i post here will fix lag while dragging windows etc. it will also fix lag when listning to music on itunes i tested it I had 4 apps open in the background and itunes played smoothly. internet surfing works etc... "you must add a sound card and the sound driver listed on the install guide if you followed the install guide properly. i provided the install guide i followed along with the link to all updates needed how to update properly and how to patch. Please let me know if this worked for you.

I am not responsible for what software you got legally or illegaly and installing mac software on a non mac piece of hardware IS illegal just so you know... so be cautious.

anyone having lag issues with this there is a fix "its not the best fix I had the same issue and found the fix however it only fixes lag such as dragging a window or having multiple applications open simotaniously, "youtube is still super laggy buggy and a few other flash sites are as well"

before i give the actual fix a list of other bugs i noticed even after fix... "performance is still slightly degraded on vmware such as "copy and pasting large amounts of data "music photos etc" will lag the entire Mac OS and might even spike the host PC as well. 1 or 2 items wont work within the current Lion OS such as icloud ive seen multiple reports it keeps giving the error on to many accounts created etc... i too have experienced that error no fix yet.

now here we go first off if your not fully updated to atleast 10.7.3 you can update it in vmware go to this link to find out how... link:

http://www.windows7h...side-windows-7/

in short if your confused... basic steps below:

----------------------------------------IF YOUR UPDATED PLEASE SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM AND READ ON BELOW THE NEXT LINE OF DASHES "-----------" FOR THE FIX----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-first off you MUST update 1 update at a time if you start at 10.7 you MUST update to 10.7.1... then to 10.7.2 then to 10.7.3 if you skeep it will "from what I hear" compleatly crash your OS x installation also ALWAYS take a snap shot BEFORE update

1. go to this link and download update 10.7.1 click telecharger button upper right corner: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1437

2. enter this into terminal: cp -r /System/Library/Extensions/AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext .

yes do NOT forget the period at the end of that command up there ^

3. now install the update within lion

4. enter this command now into the terminal and yes this is 2 commands but you can enter them both at the same time with this format: sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext; sudo cp -r AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext /System/Library/Extensions

5. reboot

6. go to this link for update 10.7.2 . http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1459

7. repeat steps 2-5 you do need to repeat these steps each time you update

8. go to this link for update 10.7.3 http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1459

dont forget to enter the commands in the terminal

you will notice this is not from apples website please trust me you are taking a snap shot right? this is working and if it fails you can always undo it this is directly off the website in the link i posted earlier from a trusted website its a guide i followed.

if for some reason the site isn't working you might be able to locate it from a google search right now i cant get onto it due to error... I would recomend a direct update download from mac located here: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1484

but this is the combo update only we need the non combo update... reports state combo update doesn't work well with vmware so far....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

anyways back to what we were doing fixing the lag go to this link to find this file dmg file within your mac os x vmware and install it "this is a video driver called VMsvga2_v1.2.5_OS_10.6-7

the file can be located here: http://sourceforge.n.../files/Display/

click "download installer" link at the top of the site from link above wait a few seconds and download.

also make sure you insatlled vmware tools "not from vmware because vmware doesnt support Mac OS x it will tell you there are no drivers etc.... you need the darwin ISO that should have come with your install files.

I installed this package and have yet to experience the lag you explained "other then when trasnfering large files or using high resource hog apps within mac...

any other issues you can email me at randumbguy8239 at hotmail dot com