Photo
linux distribution which one to use?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
80 replies to this topic

Poll: Definitive: Which Linux distribution do you prefer? (2012 edition) (382 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Linux distribution do you prefer?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#46 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 22 January 2012 - 05:24

Zenwalk is my preferred distro, but playing with Xubuntu 11.10 right now. Never have much of a fan of Ubuntu, but they just might be on to something now. At least the last couple kernel updates or video driver updates haven't ruined my setup!!

You can make Ubuntu much more stable by going into your software sources and unchecking everything except security updates in the update tab. At least that's been my experience.

#47 +Quillz

Quillz

A Talking Pokemon

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:14

I use Ubuntu, so I guess that means I technically had to vote for Debian...

#48 Miuku.

Miuku.

A damned noob

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:25

As per signature, SLES so openSUSE it is.

#49 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:32

You can make Ubuntu much more stable by going into your software sources and unchecking everything except security updates in the update tab. At least that's been my experience.

Oh yeah, and then be running with all non updated programs and such. Makes a lot of sense!!

I look at it like this. If they give me a tool that is supposed to update everything, as all Linux distros do, and a distro can't do this right, I simply won't use it, at least not for very long. Exactly why I've never been much of a fan of Ubuntu!

#50 OP +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:39

Oh yeah, and then be running with all non updated programs and such. Makes a lot of sense!!

I look at it like this. If they give me a tool that is supposed to update everything, as all Linux distros do, and a distro can't do this right, I simply won't use it, at least not for very long. Exactly why I've never been much of a fan of Ubuntu!

IMHO it depends on what you want to do with Linux. On my private laptop I have Fedora 16 as dual-boot option, with -testing and -unstable repositories enabled. I like being able to always have the newest program releases installed here, and can deal with occasional breakage.

For a productively used workstation on the other hand I would go with a distribution like RHEL/CentOS or Debian Stable with a few carefully selected backports. Stability > bleeding edge in a productive environment.

#51 coolguy80

coolguy80

networking novice

Posted 13 February 2012 - 17:27

Debian Gnu/Linux is the choice. I've "Linux Mint 12" installed on laptop to get a exposure on latest *buntu development.
I am following Linux Mint Debian Edition(LMDE) and how it evolves may be as a alternate choice for those who dig Debian yet prefer a decent looking version(means eyecandy).

#52 sevensage

sevensage

Neowinian

Posted 24 February 2012 - 18:31

Arch linux on my main, once you've tried it, it becomes almost impossible to enjoy anything else, best documentation to help you along and like anything else becomes second nature after a couple months in. Most importantly is that after having invested the time in reading the docs to tweak your system to your liking, you really have a greater understanding of how things work. It really makes you a better end user.

that being said ...

fedora, debian, centos all great distros each with their strong points but need to make an honorable mention about Mint 12 (Lisa), testing it out now and am very impressed thus far, everything works flawlessly, the updates have been flawless and as mentioned by some already, it just works ... well done!

aside: if you haven't the time to read nor the patience to search for solution, Arch is not for you.

#53 htcz

htcz

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 February 2012 - 19:12

Ubuntu (with GNOME)

#54 medium_pimpin

medium_pimpin

Boner Soup

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 24 February 2012 - 19:17

Mint

#55 StanJones

StanJones

Neowinian

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:52

I have a VPS that currently runs CentOS, found it to be more stable than others such as Debian, RedHat in a virtual environment. But I've a dual boot PC with Ubuntu and Windows 7 Ultimate edition.

I've also started to test LinuxMint on one of the other servers from this Saturday. Don't know how the experience is going to be. Would be glad if someone can share their opinions and measures that I should be taking to best achieve from this. :)

#56 iron2000

iron2000

Mecha-mad

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:55

Had been playing with Linux Mint but every version seems to always have problems with the graphics (docky and gnome-shell) and wifi (slow wifi).

Tried Elementary OS Jupiter and its better than Mint for me.
I don't get graphics problem, the slow wifi is there but I discovered compat-wireless and make it following the instructions.
Its simple, fast and stable.

I think I'll stick with E-OS for a while, hope the coming Luna will be good too.

#57 Hawk999

Hawk999

Neowinian

Posted 26 March 2012 - 19:45

Fedora 16. I am looking forward to try out Fedora 17

#58 UncleSpellbinder

UncleSpellbinder

My Spine Is The Bassline

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:19

Ubuntu 12.04 (Unity primarily, but I've been liking Cinnamon a lot).

#59 still1

still1

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:23

ubuntu but tried Mint and was a pain due to several issues i had including mouse pad not working properly.
apart from the frustration in mint i like the UI very much but i am back to ubuntu

#60 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 15
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:52

Only using it in a server role, but have a few machines running Arch. Loving it for the BSD-style setup, no rolling the dice every six months, and mostly the build-it-from-the-ground-up approach. Not a fan of "everything including the kitchen sink and several of its forks" distros.