MOTD plugin for Trillian

Question

You would think that something as simple as a MOTD plugin would exist, but nope.. I've tried searching, and can't find it anywhere. Curiously enough, I had the same issue when I used Pidgin. Is there really no demand for such a thing? I like putting in random funny quotes, or clips from lyrics, into my status, and I would love to have a plugin that lets me enter a bunch of my favorites and cycles between them each day.

Can anybody help me find this, if maybe I'm not looking in the right places? Or perhaps, if this is super easy to make (As I said, doesn't seem too hard), maybe someone could just write it? :D Long shot, I know... :p

Thanks in advance for any help.

7 answers to this question

Message of the day, aka QOTD or quote of the day.

I would supply a list of status messages, and then each day or whatever, it would randomly select a new one.

I think Trillian has this, and is similar to Pidgin.

Also try searching for Gaim MOTD as Pidgin used to be called Gaim.

Note - The MOTD comes from the XMPP server which runs the IM components, so you may need to set up your own XMPP server...

Unless I'm missing something, Trillian does not have this functionality built in, and even if Pidgin does have a plugin, that won't help me at this point, as I quite like Trillian and won't be going back. Thanks for the tips though.

If the MOTD is part of the XMPP server, would it only affect my GChat protocol, or would all the other protocols have their status changed with it? To be honest, I'm not quite sure what you are talking about here, but setting up my own XMPP server sounds more then trivial...

Basically if Google are running an XMPP server which has MOTD enabled, then you can share that MOTD. if they're not, you can't. I know in MSN you used to be able to get Winamp to pass the "now playing" over, but that seems to have been phased out from most chat servers.

Actually, there are still plugins available that change your status to the currently playing song. Which just makes it even more baffling that a MOTD plugin doesn't exist, because the code required to accomplish such a thing is just a subset of the code for the Now Playing plugins.

Anyways, I'm guessing that it's no simple task to set up an XMPP server on my own machine and get that running with my Trillian, so I'm gonna pass on that. Thanks for that tip though, interesting to know at the least.