Neowin should go down today against SOPA

A lot of sites are down today to voice their opinion against SOPA, and I think Neowin should join them (at least for an hour or so). I don't usually support these things but I feel like this one is important and we should all remember that Neowin once got wipe by over reacting people at MS and their hosting providers. Just imagine how much worst it could have been if something like SOPA would have been available?

• Like 3

I think on tech sites to be honest it's sort of pointless as they already are aware of SOPA and what they need to do to resolve it. Sites like wikipedia are great however as its used by the majority of the population. I can safely bet that most people on Neowin are aware of it already.

• Like 2

It could affect Neowin for sure. I'd say do like what Google does and put a "censored" bar over the logo or something. That way you can show support but at the sametime spread the word as well by members talking about it.

Moved here

SOPA + PIPA would affect Neowin, simply because they are registered and hosted in the US.

I agree with your post.

It would and in a way it has. Like I said, a long time ago their hosting deleted everything off their server because MS made a DMCA claim against a file that was available for download from the main page (it was an over reaction on both side but I can imagine with SOPA there would be even more of these :/)

It could affect Neowin for sure. I'd say do like what Google does and put a "censored" bar over the logo or something. That way you can show support but at the sametime spread the word as well by members talking about it.

Yea that would work

Hmm, let me understand something...

If this bill passes it will affect only the US, meaning that probably a lot of people/companies that use hosting in the US will move their servers to another country, meaning people in the US will lose jobs because of that.

Am i right? Or am i missing something?

Is the US congress that dumb?!

If this bill passes it will affect only the US, meaning that probably a lot of people/companies that use hosting in the US will move their servers to another country, meaning people in the US will lose jobs because of that.

Is the US congress that dumb?! - YES

Wrong, it could also affect web sites hosted outside the US

Wrong, it could also affect web sites hosted outside the US

How so?

The bill is in the US. Unless the rest of the world will go this way as well.

Good points raised here, but we never planned to go down today and if we did, we would have mentioned it beforehand. I think services like Google and Wikipedia have a far more reaching effect than we could ever have.

How so?

The bill is in the US. Unless the rest of the world will go this way as well.

Foreign websites would be removed from the root DNS, if the US gov suspects them of piracy, thereby making them just as vulnerable as US based sites.

Foreign websites would be removed from the root DNS, if the US gov suspects them of piracy, thereby making them just as vulnerable as US based sites.

That's just dumb.... the US will become like Iran who's blocking Internet access.

Just because of that i dont think that the bill will actually pass.

Good points raised here, but we never planned to go down today and if we did, we would have mentioned it beforehand. I think services like Google and Wikipedia have a far more reaching effect than we could ever have.

This.

Most members and visitors here are aware of the threats that SOPA and PIPA pose and strongly oppose them, so going down would really only be "preaching to the choir".

That said in hindsight we probably should have planned to do something to show our dislike for the legislation as a symbolic measure. In the meantime you can vote on our front-page "Do you support SOPA/PIPA?" poll and keep the "Absolutely not; never" percentage high :)

That's just dumb.... the US will become like Iran who's blocking Internet access.

Just because of that i dont think that the bill will actually pass.

Yes but Iran is blocking the internet only to their own people, this would effectively block sites for the whole world

Yes but Iran is blocking the internet only to their own people, this would effectively block sites for the whole world

Ye, that was just an example.....

Like i said, i think the implications of such a bill are to big and if the congress will actually use their brain and think about it well enough they will understand that it's just wrong.

That said in hindsight we probably should have planned to do something to show our dislike for the legislation as a symbolic measure. In the meantime you can vote on our front-page "Do you support SOPA/PIPA?" poll and keep the "Absolutely not; never" percentage high :)

Thanks for pointing it out.....just voted :D

I think Neowin should go down for the day, I know you say it won't have as much of a reach but isn't that the mentally of the people that don't vote, if everyone thought the same even if they made a small difference, it would still count, I think they should, at least it will increase peoples motivation to help if they do.

Ye, that was just an example.....

Like i said, i think the implications of such a bill are to big and if the congress will actually use their brain and think about it well enough they will understand that it's just wrong.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

sorry, you said "Congress will actually use their brain"

*wipes eyes*

... Yeah.

God I hope they do.