XBLA Exclusive Deadlight Preview Video

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#16 bgjerlow

bgjerlow

Neowinian

• Phone: Samsung ATIV S

Posted 25 January 2012 - 14:31

I Am Alive is not an XBLA exclusive, also coming out on PSN.

You're absolutely right. I just thought I heard it was an XBLA exclusive, but after a bit of research I can see that it isn't.

#17 Kvally

Kvally

Neowin Veteran

• Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 25 January 2012 - 15:19

This reminds me nothing of I Am Alive.

#18 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Galaxy S4

Posted 25 January 2012 - 15:28

You're absolutely right. I just thought I heard it was an XBLA exclusive, but after a bit of research I can see that it isn't.

Yep no worries, was just letting you and others know it was available on both in case others were interested in it.

I do see how the theme is common between this game and I Am Alive, but I think that is about it. Gameplay seems pretty different. I do plan on picking up both however. Definitely.

#19 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• Phone: Nexus 5 (Android 4.4.2)

Posted 25 January 2012 - 15:41

This looks awesome. I'm not a fan of arcade games but if this one is good, I'd definitely buy some Microsoft points to get it. From the video description, it says "...survivor of an apocalyptic world set in an alternate 80s." I'm guessing that the cold war didn't end and it resulted in a global, and possibly nuclear, war. The graphics look better than most XBLA titles. IGN has some high-res screenshots here.

#20 OP Ayepecks

Ayepecks

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 January 2012 - 22:04

Small preview: http://www.joystiq.c...view/#continued

#21 paxa

paxa

Neowinian

Posted 25 January 2012 - 23:11

looks pretty awesome despite some similarities with i am alive, i'm going to keep an eye on this one.

#22 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

Posted 25 January 2012 - 23:17

Small preview: http://www.joystiq.c...view/#continued

Being a child of the 80's, I really dig that whole vibe. I clearly remember people still being (very) scared of nuclear war, Ronald Reagan as the president, and it overall not being the best of times. That is really kick ass and makes me like it even more.

#23 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:02

looks good, thanks for posting this, will purchase it when it comes out. hopefully there's a Windows Phone version :rofl: love gaming on my new Titan. anyway, you can always send some of those extra points my way, Larry, i'm down to like a 1000 :rolleyes:

EDIT: this game is set in Vancouver? is this like TV and Hollywood now, games are cheaper if made in Vancouver tsk tsk? :D

#24 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:46

Reviews are rolling in on this one, seems to be one of the most squandered opportunities in quite some time.
All of the negative reviews say the opening act of the game is great, and the rest of the game is riddled by poor game design choices, such as precise platforming with imprecise controls.
Really torn on what to do here, as the demo is no doubt going to be the superb opening act more than likely. Damn, seems like a true shame.

#25 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:32

So I still picked this game up despite all the negative press, and I may very well regret picking this game up. :/ :laugh:
I checked out the demo and liked it, but I knew I would based on all of the reviews saying the first 30 minutes or so of the game are great. But everything I have read so far in the negative reviews is right on. For a platforming game that requires precision, the controls are at times indeed horrible. Really not precise at all.
It also is very cheap with some of the puzzles. like there is no way at all to figure stuff out without dying first, which I personally think is a pretty cheesy gimmick.
It is not the worse game I have ever played, but it is definitely not the best either. Shame as visually it is stunning, really do like it. And with better controls this could have been a contender for sure. As it stands now, it is one of the best examples of a squandered opportunity I have ever seen in the video game world.
I am probably about half way through the game based on what I have read, so I will see if i get through it.

#26 +Lingwo

Lingwo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:42

I didn't think it was as bad as reviews have said. While it is light on the puzzles and the melee combat is broken. Platforming is pretty good, i have hit one area where it needed to be precise, other than that is has been ok. One review said it was 8 hours long, i'm at the end of the game and unless i hit any particular tricky areas, i'll have it done in under 4 hours.

When you look at the game, you think it should be a metroidvania style game but when you actually play it and because of the story, i think making more open would hinder it.

I did love Flashback (which this game reminds me of). Which is why i think i don't let the precise jumps annoy me.

#27 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

Posted 03 August 2012 - 19:55

Just an FYI, all the reviews I read said it could be beaten in 3-4 hours.

#28 +Lingwo

Lingwo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 August 2012 - 15:42

i finished it. Just under two hours and the final section was probably 20 minutes and not because that is how long it takes, it has some tedious spots.
Pretty much the final section ruined my enjoyment of the game.

#29 Colicab

Colicab

DGDesign

Posted 05 August 2012 - 18:19

Bugger, was looking forward to this. Ah well back to Fez for my XBL platform fix.

#30 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

Posted 05 August 2012 - 18:20

i finished it. Just under two hours and the final section was probably 20 minutes and not because that is how long it takes, it has some tedious spots.
Pretty much the final section ruined my enjoyment of the game.

So it only took you under 2 hours total to beat it?
I am at the part
Spoiler
, how much time do I have left?

And while I have gotten used to the controls, I still think they could have been much more precise then they are, and there are still times they do not do what I want them to do. But they are not horrible anymore, but could have been much better.

Love the overall premise and visuals though. So that is why it is more disappointing to me I think. There was a game released called Outlands recently. While it was a totally different take and approach on the platformer genre, it was still indeed a platformer, and required some pretty damn precise jumping, and the controls in it are much better then Deadlight. So I know better controls could be achieved.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!