International Calling

What are some inexpensive or free solutions to call a South Korean mobile number from the US?

I have a friend in South Korea who wants to improve his English and in exchange for helping him he has agreed to help me learn Korean. The best way we've found to do this is over the phone, but that is very expensive. We have tried Skype and Fring but because his mobile Internet connection is not very good the call quality makes voip unusable. I have purchased Skype credit and called his phone via Skype but that is becoming very expensive; approximately $10 per day. Skype does not offer an unlimited calling package to South Korea mobile phones.

Skype offers two services that I have not tried yet. The first allows me to purchase a South Korean VoIP phone number and my friend could dial. The problem is that he would always be dialing me and his mobile minutes would always be used. The second option is to activate a US phone number on his Skype account, but given his poor mobile connection I doubt this would work.

Forgive me thinking out loud. I'm very frustrated with this situation.

• 4 months later...

Check out www.itisvoip.com.au

It is also a voip option providing the cheapest call rates in the world, far way cheaper than skype.

And the best thing is they will provide you a US local phone number which you can dial from your mobile or landline which obviously would have free or unlimited local calls, and then there will be a voice command asking you to enter your destination phone number (which would be your friend's phone number in Korea). This actually means that you will be calling to a local US number but in fact it will be connecting you to Korea and I just checked call rates for South Korea is 1.4 Cents/Minute.

Also it is without any contract and or sim card.

Hope it will help you.

Another thing,

You can also call using 3G or WiFi, straight from your mobile or PC/Laptop.

You dont have to have a local or landline phone number to call from. Simply download the application on your pc or on mobile phone (visit the website www.itisvoip.com.au for downloading) and dial your friend's number anywhere in the world and you are done.