How Do I Change My IP Address

ip address change

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
38 replies to this topic

#31 GatorV

GatorV

Internet Surfer

Posted 27 February 2012 - 16:51

Also check, if you are using Cable or DSL, since Cable IPs are more tight controlled, some cable companies share public IPs to a geographic area, instead of giving each of the suscribers their own public IP...

#32 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 27 February 2012 - 17:04

Epic trolling ;)

#33 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 74
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 27 February 2012 - 17:44

I think you might want to look up the term again ;) What part of this thread is trolling?

Who is frustrated or angered in this post? Or for that matter how would the subject not belong in this section, etc.

#34 Krome

Krome

Neowinian God!

Posted 27 February 2012 - 18:58

When I see "Epic trolling" I had to read from page one to find for the trolling. Sorry to tell you I didn't find one.

To the OP: The solution had already been given by BudMan. To get a new External IP, just clone your MAC address on your Router. Someone suggested not to do that, and he has a good point too, but this seems to be the only solution. I play Diablo 2 and for some reason they block my IP from logging in. I can't wait days to get my IP change while waiting for the ISP DNS to be released on schedule so the solution is just change my MAC address on my router and turn off the router and modem and wait for 90 seconds. Start up the system and you will get a new IP.

#35 Koshur

Koshur

Neowite

• OS: Win7, Ubuntu 12.04LTS, PinguyOS 11.10, Backtrack 5R2, Zorin OS

Posted 28 February 2012 - 14:59

"I need to switch ip for differnet geo domains to check my search results on different domains/geo locations?"

If this is what your looking to do, it is possible that a proxy would work. You would need one that allowed you to pick your geo location of the proxy.

Your better option in this case would be most likely to use a VPN that allows you to pick the country end point of the vpn vs a proxy.

But to be honest I don't think you need to go to such drastic measures.

http://support.googl...n&answer=179386
Specify your preferred location

• If you'd like to change your location, click Change Location and enter a street address, zip code, city and state, or country in the box that appears. Click Set to save your location setting.
  • You can only specify a location within the country of your current Google domain. For instance, it's not possible to set a U.S. address on www.google.es, the Google domain for Spain. If you'd like to see results for a region outside of your Google domain, please specify the location in the search query (like [ bicycle repair paris ]) or visit a different Google local domain instead.
  • If you don’t already have a location set, enter a location in the box next to "Search near," then click Set.
example

ohh wow this sounds good, would surely try this one.. but just in case i decide to pick one which should i look for..? actually my SEO tools will pick up and detect ip address and i cant tweek like this :(...

#36 ozgeek

ozgeek

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 February 2012 - 22:05

It really depends on your ISP at this point. I'm supposed to have dynamic addresses on my modem, but I was using the same IP address for four years until I switched to a router.

Mine is instant. The moment my modem/router loses connection, it gains a new IP address.

#37 BillyJack

BillyJack

Neowinian

Posted 29 February 2012 - 22:18

I was too lazy to read all of this thread but I will give you what I know and you can apply it if it works for you.

If the ip address from your provider is dynamic then usually it will rarely change even if it is dynamic. Once it has expired it will be renewed and you will get the same ip address. They use your mac address to set your dynamic ip address so if you do not want to wait a long period of time and force it to change then this is the steps to take.
  • Change your mac address. I do not know how to chagne the PC mac address but most routers allow you to set a mac address. By default they use their real mac address.
  • Restart your router. (Either by the router page or by unplugging the router)
  • Restart your modem. (I just pull the power and plug it back in)
  • Within about a minute you will have a new ip address. The time depends on the hardware but should be within a minute. After your modem restarts you can always go to your router page and hit the buttons to release and then update the ip address. It is not necessary but can save seconds if you are impatient.
At least this works for cox.

#38 roadwarrior

roadwarrior

Mississippian by birth and by choice

Posted 29 February 2012 - 22:27

Mine is instant. The moment my modem/router loses connection, it gains a new IP address.

That's gotta suck if you ever have a need to remotely access your network by IP address.

#39 ozgeek

ozgeek

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 February 2012 - 23:04

No. I have no problems teamviewing my desktop via my iphone or laptop or any device with teamviewer on it. Works fine.

Bigpond (the isp I am with) refreshes my ipaddress everytime I connect but my DHCP reversation addresses are always the same.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!