It's over - Rapidshare basically "killed" itself.

image63.png

Looks like it's over now :( - Rapidshare was basically all I using since the others were all dead. I was experiencing basically what they were saying where it looks like it was frozen. I thought it was my connection. Yikes :(

Source is in greek but stole that picture from there:

http://www.freeweird...strictions.html

via Google Translate:

All have a nice finish, and after a period in which they had withdrawn almost all restrictions on downloads for free users, Rapidshare has finally decided to reintroduce restrictions - this time more severely than ever. So now disables the ability to continue making the point it was discontinued (the so-called resume) and, more importantly, reduces the average speed ftochotato 30 kb / s.

Because of this limitation, some download managers such as the download JDownloader may appear to freeze for several hours, like it has stopped.

It seems that after the closure of Megaupload and several other major competitors, the Rapidshare regained the user base was needed and decided she does not need to tempt longer anonymous users with benefits anyway some feared it was too good to last forever.

Worst translation, ever. In all seriousness, I'm not surprised. Megaupload's shutdown was bound to have lasting repercussions.

image63.png

Looks like it's over now :( - Rapidshare was basically all I using since the others were all dead. I was experiencing basically what they were saying where it looks like it was frozen. I thought it was my connection. Yikes :(

Source is in greek but stole that picture from there:

http://www.freeweird...strictions.html

via Google Translate:

If I am not mistaken its only for free users and it has been like that for a while. This is a link to a post on jdownloader's forum that (I think) describes that behaviour and its from 2009.

Was going fine for me the other day, didn't have to enter a captcha (on jdownloader) and it was downloading at ~ 70-130KBps.

Got a file off there last night using firefox, first link was a 36MB file and said 'wait 8 min 30' so I skipped to another, 56MB file, had to wait 3 minutes, whilst the other was still saying to wait 8 minutes ? :s

I don't understand how they work things or.

If I am not mistaken its only for free users and it has been like that for a while. This is a link to a post on jdownloader's forum that (I think) describes that behaviour and its from 2009.

Cool... My constant 400KByte/s that I got till 1-2 weeks ago must have been magic then. :p

meh... We'll see... maybe it's just temporary or so...

30KB/s sucks... it will kill off their free users essentially and hence decrease their significance over time.

Apart from using a one click hoster just for yourself or a shared household, there is no reason to go with one that is so restrictive.

People will just move on...

Was going fine for me the other day, didn't have to enter a captcha (on jdownloader) and it was downloading at ~ 70-130KBps. Got a file off there last night using firefox, first link was a 36MB file and said 'wait 8 min 30' so I skipped to another, 56MB file, had to wait 3 minutes, whilst the other was still saying to wait 8 minutes ? :s I don't understand how they work things or.

RS as every hoster has more than one server (obviously).

Chances are, your files have been stored on different servers.

Different servers also means different wait times as they also depend on server load, used bandwidth etc PER server.

So, say a really exciting leak is on one server (Server A) and a file you want to download (file A) and Server B only has random familiy photos and file B you want to download.

File A will be a nightmare to wait for.

File B you might wanna try first.

Glassed Silver:mac

I downloaded an xda mod last week and I'm certain it was over 800k/sec.

I 'm the guy who wrote the initial article - I guess Google Translate's performance is very poor when it comes to the Greek language :p

Since last April, Rapidshare had almost no restrictions for free users - check this: http://torrentfreak....limited-110416/

Unfortunatelly, this is something new. The screenshot is from JDownloader and it pretty much explains what happened (actually, this is what the article describes too). I quote it here, just in case someone has a problem viewing the image:

Rapidshare disabled the ability to resume downloads that were stopped for free users and also limited the average download speed to 30kb/s.

Because of the way they are doing this, it may look like the download is frozen!

Don't worry - it's not. It's just waiting for the next piece of the file to be transferred.

The pauses in between are added by Rapidshare in order to make the overall average speed slower for free-users.

so iis it still all good and fast for those who pay or is rs screwing over those users too?

Should be fine for paying subscribers.

However, note that if (theoretically speaking) you'd download illegal materials via RS any VPN/Proxy is worth nothing as they have your personal info on record and most likely will log your files.

That's the kind of people who're now being followed up after the Megashare incident.

So, people: Use that service legitimately.

These kinds of sources are either a jailbait when paying (lol) or slow.

Or not used often by the uploaders.

I was getting 3 - 5.5MB/s until today. (free)

That's basically what i was getting too, always minimum of 1-2MB/s sometimes up to the 3-4MB/s range. This was all free and no wait times. LOL. Guess it must have been a bug or whatever but it's been lovely, guess the free ride is over. :cry:

• Like 1

I was getting 3 - 5.5MB/s until today. (free)

Note, that was with my fianc?'s conntection.

My connection is 50MBit/s, but I haven't used it for RS recently...

You are mistaken I'm afraid.

As others have said... Rapidshare keep changing it. A while back, it was rubbish with all that wait time and everything. Then they changed it to no wait time (and no CAPCHA) and full speed downloads. I was seeing my line maximum from them which was great.

But today I notice 30kbps. It was constantly like that though so the measures they have put in place are good for getting the maximum but I can understand now many people have gone back to them then there is no need to have the full speed downloads.

That's basically what i was getting too, always minimum of 1-2MB/s sometimes up to the 3-4MB/s range. This was all free and no wait times. LOL. Guess it must have been a bug or whatever but it's been lovely, guess the free ride is over. :cry:

Was no bug, RS.com fell way behind in the business so they didn't care much. As soon as their bandwidth became clogged by ex-MU fans they chopped speed.

Note, that was with my fianc?'s conntection.

My connection is 50MBit/s, but I haven't used it for RS recently...

If you had 50Mbps/s, means you could've gotten the same speeds. I posted as information about RS' awesome free speed, not my web speed. (premium RS @ 12MB/s back in the 2010 days.)