what happened to Scroogle

Best Option,

Use TOR.

Other Options,

Use Proxy.

Block 3rd party Cookies, Flash Cookies, use UserScripts to block redirects that Google search does to track you, etc.

i use duckduckgo, and it works. I use ixquick, and they have a new "sister site" that is supposed to use a combination of results that include google. Ixquick has a link option to veiw pages thru proxy from the results page. I do not know enough to use a service like tor confidently. I may use a proxy service at some point. Right now I do not know enough about networking to do what I really need to do to make a proxy service work for me effectively. Thank you again for the replies.

ABOUT IXQUICK SEARCH ENGINE

An Ixquick result is awarded one star (star.gif) for every search engine that chooses it as one of the ten best results for your search. So a five star (star.gifstar.gifstar.gifstar.gifstar.gif) result means that five search engines agreed on the result.

ABOUT STARTPAGE SEARCH ENGINE

A Trusted Party

Startpage is brought to you by Ixquick, the world's most private search engine. Ixquick has been third-party certified by EuroPriSe, a European Union privacy initiative.

On July 14th, 2008 Ixquick was awarded the first European Privacy Seal.

Ixquick is the first and only EU-approved search engine.

Find the official EuroPriSe press release here.

Offers Many More Privacy - Enhancing Search Features

A Proxy Service

It allows users to surf the web with complete privacy. The proxy lets users browse websites safely and anonymously, without passing on any private, personally identifiable information to the websites they view.

Learn more here.

Note:

Yes, I'm being serious about the following.

I just felt like writing down an Internet Anonymity 101 ? la Paranoia some where! :)

If you're dead serious about hiding your IP and any traces that could be linked back to you, I'd suggest using a second browser in private mode and with total paranoia settings. (disable all plugins such as Flash and Java, toolbars, etc, cookies set to never (in case you forget private mode) etc)

During that session quit all applications that use the internet. (This is paranoia rage mode)

Most importantly: stop thinking proxies are the best choice out there, use a VPN connection!

This protects all your traffic with super high encryption and is usually much faster than a proxy.

Do they cost? Yes, but I see it as a small service fee "in my ISP plan" (from a budget perspective. Of cause my VPN service is not provided by my ISP)

Glassed Silver:ios

edit / addition:

browser suggestion: Chrome

Uber paranoia tip: Use the browser in a virtual machine with an awkward/not too common OS.

Some Linux distro or FreeBSD...

VPN from your host OS, not from within the VM. :)