Photo

BA in Computer Science

bachelor of arts computer science

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Poll: BA in Computer Science

Would a BA in Computer Science be useful?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Tuishimi

Tuishimi

Michinator

• 843 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 21:53

Wouldn't a Bachelor of Arts be a bit contradicting Computer Science?

Oh I don't know... I liken some of my code to art. :)

#17 Original Poster

Original Poster

C++ n00b

• 2,961 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 22:10

Wilfrid Laurier University offers both a BA and a BSc in Computer Science. I'm considering taking one of the programs. What I'm wondering is... How useful would a BA in Computer Science be? Wouldn't most employers want a BSc?

I am on a BSc at the moment going onto a BA would be easy stuff.. BSc goes into a lot of mathematical detail although that sounds nasty... I actually love my course :) get to basically do nothing but script and be smart

I dont personally get what the difference is apart from it be accredited by a different faculty at the university. :huh:

BA or BSC, its shoulden't matter to an employer, more importantly would be what modules are contained on them and also what grade of degree you pass out with.

it really does matter BSc is more maths based the lower one is for people who want to cope out of maths ... in all honesty people would pick BSc over a BA anyday lol especially in programming,networking or 3D graphics (not much if you want to be an professional photoshopper )

#18 shadodemon

shadodemon

Neowinian

• 231 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 22:25

I have an Associates of Science Degree on Computer Repair & Technology I am happy about that :)

#19 MtnDewCodeRedFreak

MtnDewCodeRedFreak

Since May 2001

• 1,949 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 28 February 2012 - 23:37

I have a BSc in Info Tech.

#20 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 16,779 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:34

By languages, you mean programming lanugauges, right? :blush:

Yes, the program I went throught was emphasis on learning many programming languages, and mastering them, second emphasis was on math, on the low end was theory and history of CS.. we had 4 different tracks we could go, Applied (hardware coding, firmwares, etc) , Languages (learning prorgamming basically anything from machine code to intermediate languages etc), security (network security programming, theory, criminology of it, and design of cryptography systems), and there was another one I cant remember which track it was, but it was more math then anything (binary math, linear algebra, etc, how to design ALU's etc)

I actually did three tracks (talk about killing yourself in 4 years)... Languages, Applied and security all in one undergrad career.. Got accepted to Carnegie Mellon for masters in comp sci / engineering, but it was just way to expensive at the time... so never went that route in the end after undergrad...