Posted 18 October 2012 - 17:51

Technically it looks great.
Artistically it's kinda meh imo.

#32 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

• 8,896 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 17:56

It looks more like Fallout than Doom to me.

The amount that I care about Doom 4 is not high.

#33 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• 15,303 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 17:57

From the screenshots it looks like they are going to go with a "Hell on Earth" type theme. I liked Doom 3 and am looking forward to this!

#34 Asrokhel

Asrokhel

Neowinian

• 1,027 posts
  • OS: Windows 8 Pro x64 (testing to see if I keep it or go back to Windows 7)

Posted 18 October 2012 - 18:00

Is it going to be open world, or semi-open world?

#35 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• 15,303 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 18:00

So much hate on Rage... I liked it a lot and feel it was grossly underrated and berated. It looks great, runs great, and is fun for what it is.

Rage was a good engine with good graphics and game play. The story was just lackluster for me. There were some major issues with Rage, like one of the bosses even on the hardest difficulty you could just stand there and self-heal between missile strikes. That was amusing. I also didn't really care for the vehicle battles/races. That felt kind of tacked on to me.

Give Me Doom! Hey, what are the Raven folks working on these days?

#36 plasmarox

plasmarox

Neowinian

• 336 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 18:02

So doom 4 is on earth then? Bad move. Doom should take place offworld, that's the whole point!

#37 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• 6,851 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 18 October 2012 - 18:05

So doom 4 is on earth then? Bad move. Doom should take place offworld, that's the whole point!

not really. Doom could happen anywhere, it just happened to be that the person who was doing experiments to open a portal to hell was at the mars base

#38 Big b0b

Big b0b

Neowinian

• 170 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 18:17

Terrible graphics, do not care.

#39 Asrokhel

Asrokhel

Neowinian

• 1,027 posts
  • OS: Windows 8 Pro x64 (testing to see if I keep it or go back to Windows 7)

Posted 18 October 2012 - 18:46

Well, Doom 3 was a remake of Doom, so it looks like Doom 4 is a remake of Doom II: Hell on Earth, as far as I can tell.

#40 Wyn6

Wyn6

Neowinian

• 776 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 925

Posted 18 October 2012 - 18:54

What a coincidence. I was just talking about this game a few days ago. Talking to one of my dev buddies (name drop) on Planetside 2 and was telling him about being over at the Bethesda Studios about two years ago. He said he hadn't heard anything about it for awhile either. Interested to see it finally hit some day.

Edit: Memory fail. I was over at Id Studios not Bethesda.

#41 Aergan

Aergan

Neowinian Senior

• 2,527 posts
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Pro | Xubuntu | OSX Yosemite| Server 2012 R2 | Ubuntu Server
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 18 October 2012 - 19:02

Doom II - Hell On Earth re-visit?

#42 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• 12,157 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 19:03

this is a resurrected thread from february, so i dont see any new information about doom 4

#43 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• 15,303 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 22:18

this is a resurrected thread from february, so i dont see any new information about doom 4

Let's keep bumping the thread for fun then ;). Probably got pulled up because of the recently released Doom 3: BFG.

#44 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,858 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 23 October 2012 - 00:36

Rage was a good engine with good graphics and game play.

The problem with RAGE is that the graphics varied wildly, from decent to appalling. For instance, I took these two in-game with graphics settings on max (seriously, I'm not kidding):

Posted Image

Posted Image

The texture quality is simply appalling (due to the use of megatextures), the models are incredibly low polygon and the lighting is all pre-baked (it was a backwards step from Doom 3). The pictures above are how it appears in-game and are not due to JPG compression (even though it looks exactly like that). Needless to say I was shocked at how bad it looked for a modern game. The only area it did well with was the character models:

Posted Image

As for the Doom 4 screenshots, to me they look terrible. The texture quality is very poor, the polygon count is very low, the lighting is flat, the level design is uninspired and overall they look like something out of an ultra-budget game. They look like a backwards step even from RAGE, which was far from cutting edge itself. Obviously it's taken for granted that they are from very early on in the design process but I just don't see any redeeming qualities to the design.

Unless id Tech completely overhauls the idTech5 engine Doom 4 is going to be a train-wreck and that's a shame as I have great memories of playing Doom and Doom II back in the day. A lot of people were very disappointed with RAGE and they're going to have to do a lot to make up for that.

#45 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• 12,942 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 00:40

Well, Doom 3 was a remake of Doom

:s Wut?