• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#46 ichi

ichi

Akihabara Style

• 5,012 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:02

:s Wut?

Well, it goes back to the beginning of the whole thing: the teleportation experiments and the opening of the gate to hell on Mars.

#47 The King of GnG

The King of GnG

Knight and King of the Great Hell Village

• 450 posts
  • Phone: Windows Phone

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:52

I would define Doom 3 a "retelling" of that mean snippet of plot used to justify the carnage in Doom 1 :D

#48 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 11,830 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:10

Let's keep bumping the thread for fun then ;). Probably got pulled up because of the recently released Doom 3: BFG.

What in the...

That completely slipped by me. How old is Doom 3 now, 6 or 7 years old? And they have only just released the BFG edition?

Something of a shame, although I hope that they have a separate team working on Doom 4 while they were "remastering" 3...

#49 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• 15,340 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 14:36

Doom 3: BFG is hardly remastered. Most of the tweaks are engine level tweaks. The Lost Missions were probably put together from reject levels of the original and expansion. There are some new mobs though. Its OK. I'm enjoying my play through but I'm looking forward to Doom 4.

I realize that id has been criticized a lot lately for falling so far behind. They deserve that. But I still hold them in high regard and think they can still amaze us as gamers. One area that I think id has mastered is that their games look amazing at amazingly high frame rates. The high frame rates make the games easier to fall into because of how surreal they become. But yeah, that is all destroyed when you walked up close to a wall and see a ****ty texture that belonged in Return to Castle Wolfenstein but not in a game today.

#50 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

• 11,021 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 14:40

Rage was also really just a tech demo in game disguise. They can improve upon it a whole lot I'm sure. It was great for the vast open worlds, but as already pointed out, lacked for smaller objects. But I'm sure that is something that can be resolved.