520155273.png

Developers: 343 Industries
Publisher: Microsoft Studios
Platform: Xbox 360
Release Date: November 6, 2012

Description:

Halo 4 is an upcoming video game and the eighth installment in the Halo franchise being developed for the Xbox 360. Halo 4 is intended to be the first of a new trilogy of Halo series games, named the "Reclaimer Trilogy". Whereas the previous Halo games were developed by Bungie, Halo 4 will be developed by 343 Industries. The game continues some time after the ending of Halo 3, and marks the return of the Master Chief as the main protagonist. Cortana will also appear in the game. The game is set for release in Holiday 2012.

Plot:

Halo 4 marks the return of John-117 - the "Master Chief" - as a playable protagonist for the first time since 2007's Halo 3, as 2009's Halo 3: ODST and 2010's Halo: Reach focused on new characters and playing styles. Having been lost in space in the finale of Halo 3, John-117 and Cortana, adrift aboard the wreckage of the UNSC frigate Forward Unto Dawn, find themselves near a mysterious Forerunner planet, which was first seen at the end of Halo 3 once players beat the game on the highest difficulty setting. A key plot point will involve changes to Cortana and how her exposure to Halo and her operation beyond her natural lifespan may have contribute to her becoming "rampant." Developers revealed in fall 2011 that the game will involve a "shield world," a hollow artificial Dyson sphere type megastructure, possibly being set inside it.

The story of Halo 4 will be focused less on the Halo series' traditional straightforward first person shooter genre, instead relying more on mystery, exploration and discovery. Developers described the game as being grand in scope and scale. Forerunner elements will be featured extensively in the game's environment. Developers also suggested that the game will reveal how humanity and the UNSC have adapted to the galaxy after the end of their war with the Covenant, particularly how they have co-opted Forerunner technology.

Unlike the original trilogy, the story has been designed to be part of a three-game arc from the beginning. In addition, developer 343 Industries is aiming for a more complete connectivity between all of their future media than before, and the Forerunner Saga novel Halo: Primordium, the post-war novel Halo: Glasslands, and the terminals in Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary, will "definitely" have "resonant connections" to Halo 4's story. Little information has been released regarding the storyline trilogy, but developers have intended that Halo 5 will be a much darker title before the conflict is resolved in Halo 6. [Source]

Links:

Screenshots:

644932257.jpg

471511216.jpg

Videos:

The latter seems like a more genuine in-game screenshot. The first (to me) looks like it has too much detail to be in-game.

That said, I'm hoping that Microsoft can pick up from the excellent series that Bungie created.

If that really is in-game engine material, that looks pretty awesome for what is a 7 year old console!

Always loved the halo series - so can't wait for this to come out.

I always laugh when I see "REAL IN GAME SHOTS!! I/WE/THEY SWEAR!!!!!!!11"

9 times out of 10, they're not.

• Like 2

Meanwhile, the PC fanbase for Halo doesn't even have Halo 3 yet.

:cry:

I don't think it's ever going to happen. As far as I'm aware, Halo 3 and onwards are exclusive to the Xbox console.

What ever your favourite game is.... :sleep:

We can all make trolling posts.

Except they're right. Halo has always been a :sleep: ever since it first came out(and started ruining shooters) 10 years ago. It only became popular due to the (extreme) ease of play.

As for these pics. It doesn't look like there's really any reason for these to have a whole new thread. As those models look exactly the same as they always have. And chances are any maps will look exactly the same as always when shots of those come out too.

First off, these screens don't look that amazing, so why the skepticism? Second they could be from the 720 version or a future PC release. No big deal here.

If that really is in-game engine material, that looks pretty awesome for what is a 7 year old console!

Always loved the halo series - so can't wait for this to come out.

ANY console of the current gen can do images that detailed if it's just a single character on screen ;) I'd also like to point out that these aren't Xbox shots at all. They're 1600x900 renders. Regardless of the source, this will never be displayed on the Xbox. The Xbox version will run at a MAX of 720 pixels tall. In fact, my bets are that it will run at less, and be upscaled by the machine.

Plus ... I dunno, these images are just really really boring.

yeah...I don't believe those are in-game

They could be in-game....before it's scaled down for consoles that is.

That's absolutely true. 90% of game graphics are drawn at a very high resolution, before being scaled down (some more, some less than others) for consoles. These super high res textures never get seen by the public, as even the 'high' res textures in console games are actually pretty low res.

Then there's as I pointed out, and no one else has discussed, the sheer resolution of those images. 1600,900. NO console game runs that res. Well, maybe silly little puzzle games. No FPS with any kind of detail does. Most games are rendered by the console out to TV at 720p or less. Either way, they're never putting Halo on the Xbox 360 at 1600 pixels .... I'd bet body parts on that :)

They could well be "in game" look at the detail using the Uncharted 3 engine when being used for "in game" cut-scenes. It's possible that this is what they are from. They don't look so mindblowingly awesome that it seems impossible.

yeah...I don't believe those are in-game

Thats what everyone said about the in game halo 3 screenshots and videos before release as well...

There's a reason it looks much better than what you'd normally see on consoles. And it's a practice that developers have employed since the dawn of games with 3D graphics. They do it because it makes the game look better. Obviously, it won't look that good when you play it on the Xbox 360. If you look at the screenshots of just about any 3D game out there, you'll rarely fine official screenshots that have aliasing. As for the resolution, it was likely scaled down from 1920x1080 and chances are the game will be scaled down even further to make it playable. My guess is 1152x640 (Halo 3/ODST) or 1152x720 (Halo: Reach).

Thats what everyone said about the in game halo 3 screenshots and videos before release as well...

Dude, Halo 3 had some pretty bad bullshots, especially when the real running resolution was found out.

http://www.planetxbo...aign_Screenshot

halo-3-master-chief-shoots-screenshot-big.jpg

chief-campaign.jpg

None of this is anything new, wait for gameplay videos.

I really enjoy the armor redesigns but what I don't understand are why bring the Battle Rifle back and what's up with the mech?

I'm glad 343 is taking the initiative with this game, but I fear they may go too far away from what makes Halo... Halo. This isn't enough gameplay to really say anything about how it plays, but I can say the music isn't what I'd expect from a Halo game.