Planetside 2

The Forge Light engine is impressive. What I love the most aside from the engine is the UI and art direction. I knew about the first Planetside and I was close to buying it. I decided to wait until I had a gaming PC and when that time came, I was busy playing other games.

For those that are wondering, Planetside 2 is going to be free-to-play.

• 2 months later...

It does look amazing. It looks like BF3 on steroids, as far as the game play goes. I have my concerns about performance when there are hundreds of people in an area fighting, though. But damn, it looks like great fun.

Ha, I was just coming in here to post that video Singh! :)

PS2 looks absolutely INCREDIBLE. Plus, TB blowing up John Smedly was awesome.

Great videos. I seemed to have missed out on those while keeping myself occupied with Dota 2 and Diablo 3.

• 2 weeks later...

Beta sign-up (if you're interested): Planetside2

Screenshots: VG247

Videos:

The sixty-cent question, Anaron - will this follow the traditional model of MMOs (monthly or annual fees), the Guild Wars model (pay just once) or the Free to Play - Your Way model (SOE's existing MMOs, such as EverQuest II and DCUO - the latter of which I actually enjoy the heck out of)?

If it follows the latter, that's as firm a signal that F2P is going exactly nowhere but up as the current DCUO and staged launches of Warface are proving.

DCUO *alone* is proving that - even though it's based on a seemingly-tired UE3 gaming engine, it's as far from other UE3-engined games as it gets.

If you have a Planetside 1 account from "the days of old", you'll get into the beta automatically by the way - like I have mine from 2003 :p

If you have a Planetside 1 account from "the days of old", you'll get into the beta automatically by the way - like I have mine from 2003 :p

Do you know when your supposed to get in via your old PS1 account? I made sure mine was up to date a few months back and signed up for beta as soon as I could but nothing yet.

Do you know when your supposed to get in via your old PS1 account? I made sure mine was up to date a few months back and signed up for beta as soon as I could but nothing yet.

They're supposed to send invites when the actual beta invites start rolling for other users too.

They're just handing out beta codes now in advance for some people.

They're supposed to send invites when the actual beta invites start rolling for other users too.

They're just handing out beta codes now in advance for some people.

Watching the live stream on TotalBiscuit.

Two words - HOLY )*&)(*&^)(&^)*%^(*)^&)(&!!!!!

DCUO meets UT (the original one).

The graphics remind me (quite favorably) of DCUO.

Even more shocking, this particular live stream is the PC (*not* PS3 or XB360) version.

Yeesh.

Even more shocking, this particular live stream is the PC (*not* PS3 or XB360) version.

Yeesh.

Of course its on PC, the game isn't coming out on consoles at all, :D

Yeah, I watched the vids on TB's YouTube awhile back and thought immediately of good ol' UT (which is most definitely not a bad thing). Going to sign up for the beta and give it a shot - never played the first game, which as I understand, had a lot of depth and in-game personality (factions, etc).

Of course its on PC, the game isn't coming out on consoles at all, :D

That is, in fact, the surprising part. Sony Online Entertainment is a multiplatform (and primarily PS3, not PC) developer/publisher. A straight PC-only F2P MMOFPS from SOE? Do you realize how long it's been since Sony did a straight PC-only game? And this one is following the F2P model at that. Talk about your Left Turns ....

Alrighty, submitted my beta signup *fingers crossed*

Looking at their wiki page, looks like the business model is taking from LoL. Very nice.

It may "look" like UT, but it's far from it. Like in the first Planetside your abilities and team will have vastly greater meaning than in your average FPS.

CR5 reporting in. Too bad they deleted my character when the servers merged.

It may "look" like UT, but it's far from it. Like in the first Planetside your abilities and team will have vastly greater meaning than in your average FPS.

CR5 reporting in. Too bad they deleted my character when the servers merged.

I was referring to Team Deathmatch (specifically from UT3) - however, UT3 *never* looked this good (not even a modded UT3). However, SOE has some serious experience making this admittedly-old engine look very good (DCUO itself is proof enough of that). I could see other traces of DCUO's influence all over the graphics from this *alpha* stage of the game. (Far from a bad thing, as DCUO has solid graphics *and* a low (surprisingly low) PC hardware gate.) It already looks solid enough to blow TRIBES: ASCEND into the weeds. Only two other MMOFPS titles could challenge it - fellow F2P contenders Shootmania Storm and Warface. (That was the sound of the other shoe dropping - *three* solid MMOFPS titles in the same year, and none of them costing so much as a ruble?)