iOS 5.1 feels much "snappier"

Did you do an upgrade or did you do a restore and then upgrade? I like to do the latter, takes longer but really does make the phone feel quicker.

I already upgrade to iOS 5.1 via OTA, but I have a question about the restore... If I have enable the iCloud backups and then restore my iPhone 4 what info/configs i lost (recents calls, missed calls, sms, savegames, apps authentifications,...)? Or I don't lost anything?

Posted on the front page, but to recap:

There were two bugs I wanted to see fixed in the 5.1 update:

- Charging bug with Wifi: turn the wifi radio on and let the phone charge overnight. Upon waking up, the battery meter gives a less than 100% figure, such as 92%. Disconnect and plug it back in, and it'll be back at 100% within half an hour. This doesn't happen if you disable the wifi radio.

- Standby battery usage on the 4S. Was pretty poor.

The first bug was fixed. So far, battery life for standby also seems good, but will need to test it more before I know for sure. Responsiveness wasn't really an issue; the phone was almost consistently responsive.

- Charging bug with Wifi: turn the wifi radio on and let the phone charge overnight. Upon waking up, the battery meter gives a less than 100% figure, such as 92%. Disconnect and plug it back in, and it'll be back at 100% within half an hour. This doesn't happen if you disable the wifi radio.

I've never encountered that bug with my 4S :/

It feels snappier on my iPhone 4 for sure. Everything is opening faster and performing better. Lol, i thought it was a placebo but I'm pretty sure it is more optimized than 5.0.1 was, based on my experience.

I'm also very much enjoying Genius Mixing again now that it has been added to iTunes Match. Also, album art is displaying more consistently since the update.

Solid update (Y)

Edit: for the record, I thought that both the v4 and v5 updates were progressively worse in terms of overall "snappiness."

Anyway, I've always had the feeling that my old 3GS was "snappier" than my old iPhone 4 (not 4S). Probably because of the ressources needed for the Retina Display.

As I said, didn't notice difference between my 4S (5.0.1 jailbroken) and my gf's 4S (5.1)

Well I upgraded my iPhone 4S and iPad 2 and I see rainbows and unicorns. SWEET!

It seems about the same to me, I'm not sure about the camera appearing without me double tapping the home button on the lock screen, seems more likely to happen by accident now

It's not placebo ... it's true. My iPhone IS quicker. And why? Because on iOS 5 I was having juddery and slow access to some apps and sometimes it'd hang for a few seconds. Nothing hangs now. Everything is as instant as I'd expect on the iPhone 4. It's 100% true that it's faster. Bugs have obviously been ironed out. In my opinion, this is far bigger an upgrade than people would think. Lack of new features matters not. It's all about the performance of the phone.

It seems about the same to me, I'm not sure about the camera appearing without me double tapping the home button on the lock screen, seems more likely to happen by accident now

unlocking and starting the camera app requires swiping in different directions, how can you even do this by accident :/

• Like 2

Regarding standby battery use, got through a day with 1 hour 54 minutes of usage, 13 hours 26 minutes of standby, and the battery meter was at 78%. Compared to before, that's not bad.

unlocking and starting the camera app requires swiping in different directions, how can you even do this by accident :/

Well my coat has done it twice so far, I've taken it out the pocket to find the camera open

Don't wish to tempt fate, but the continual crashing I had in Safari and a few other apps has stopped since the new update, hopefully it'll stay like this - I'M FREE TO LOVE MY iPAD AGAIN!! :D

It feels exactly the same on my 4S. All the bugs like SMS sound stutter, sudden and random battery drainage are still present.

I did a fresh install of 5.1 and set the phone as new just to be sure.

**** poor job by Apple.

It feels exactly the same on my 4S. All the bugs like SMS sound stutter, sudden and random battery drainage are still present.

I did a fresh install of 5.1 and set the phone as new just to be sure.

**** poor job by Apple.

Sounds like you may have defective hardware. Take it to an Apple Store. They will probably replace it for you.

My jailbroken iPhone 4 is a lot snappier and faster than stock iOS 5.0.1

How about battery life after you upgraded to 5.1? getting better?

wait what there is a jailbreak for the 5.1 ?

Maybe it feels faster because your phone was rebooted. My iOS devices can have uptimes in the area of several weeks/months.

wait what there is a jailbreak for the 5.1 ?

iOS 5.1 jailbreak (tethered) came out a few hours after iOS 5.1 was released. Pre A5 devices have hardware exploits that allow this sort of thing almost instantly.

Maybe it feels faster because your phone was rebooted. My iOS devices can have uptimes in the area of several weeks/months.

iOS 5.1 jailbreak (tethered) came out a few hours after iOS 5.1 was released. Pre A5 devices have hardware exploits that allow this sort of thing almost instantly.

ahh ill wait for the untethered

I noticed a small, but weird bug the other day. I was on the train, and lost connection to my carrier. I had to reboot my iPhone for it to pick up the connection again, even though I was in an area I know is covered. Anybody else experienced this?

Nothing is snappier and battery life still stinks. The new camera app is really nice though. I'm not sure what the 4G on the top bar means now though. AFAIK the phone is capable of 3G unless they built it with 4G LTE support and only just now unlocked it. Seems odd.