Access 97 on Windows XP Mode - random disk or network errors

Question

Hi all,

At work we have a pretty old database system that runs on Access 97. Every pc here except mine runs Windows XP and does not have a problem with Access 97 or the database.

I can run Access 97 fine on Windows XP mode under Windows 7, however i randomly get a "disk or network error" which does not allow me to open certain databases, others will still work fine when a particular database is giving this error.

I'm just stumped as to what causes it, sometimes it can be fine for days at a time, other times ill randomly get this error for hours each day before it decides to work again.

The network connection is fine as other databases on the server can still be accessed, and when ever i get this error the database always works on a PC running Windows XP nativity.

I realise this is pretty old software, however if anyone has any suggestions as what could be causing the problem it would be a great help!

Cheers

1rfb0n.jpg

4 answers to this question

Have you applied Office 97 SR-2b and all post SP2 patches and of course not to mention running latest XPSP3 which has the latest Jet related hotfixes.

Have you applied Office 97 SR-2b and all post SP2 patches and of course not to mention running latest XPSP3 which has the latest Jet related hotfixes.

I have indeed installed the SR-2b update, the VM has Windows XP SP3 installed, however i don't believe we have updated it since then as its sole purpose is to run Access 97.

I shall run Windows update on it and ensure the VM is totally up to date and see if anything changes then.

My bad, forgot Access 97 uses Jet 3.5, not Jet 4. Install Jet 3.5 SP3 first: http://download.micr...us/jet35sp3.exe and then check this out: http://blog.centreso...-network-error/

Thanks for that, i installed Jet 3.5 SP3 and have not had a problem since, so fingers crossed!

The tips were much appropriated (Y)