rumour prey

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Muhammad Farrukh

Muhammad Farrukh

The End is Nigh

• 7,621 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:50

Rumors are reporting that Zenimax has pulled the plug on Human Head's ambitious sci fi sequel.

Rumors are abound today that Prey 2, the Human Head-developed sci-fi sequel to the 2006 shooter, has been canceled by publisher Zenimax. The rumor comes from a Dutch site, PSFocus, who reports that sources close to the project revealed the cancelation, stating that an official announcement will be made next week.

Last month, Human Head's Brian Karis revealed in a twitter post that Zenimax pulled all Prey 2 related talks from GDC, casting the game's future in doubt.

Prey2Tweet_1332541903.jpg

The original Prey also had a pretty tough development, having been pushed back for over a decade before it finally saw release on PC and Xbox 360. The sequel was to have a new intergalactic bounty hunter protagonist, a focus on exploration, and an action-RPG feel. Everything we'd heard about the game spoke to its extremely ambitious nature, but now, if the rumors are to be believed, we may never know whether or not it would live up to lofty expectations.

<a href="http://xbox360.ign.c...221518p1.html">IGN

#2 S00N3R FR3AK

S00N3R FR3AK

Champion

• 1,742 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:33

Bethesda and Zenimax go to my **** list if this happens. They let Brink, Hunted and Rogue Warrior see the light of day but maybe not Prey 2. Prey 2 looked so good at Quakecon last year it shot up my want list.

#3 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

• 6,736 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:40

It would be a shame if it's canceled, the videos I've seen from it looked good.

#4 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,465 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:13

Bethesda and Zenimax go to my **** list if this happens. They let Brink, Hunted and Rogue Warrior see the light of day but maybe not Prey 2. Prey 2 looked so good at Quakecon last year it shot up my want list.

If they canceled it, it was probably with good reason, anything can look good on a pre set up demo. that's kind of the point. I mean, how many games haven't looked awesome before release and have had great expectations only to be a major letdown, but for the player and the publisher who forked out for the crap.

#5 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• 21,351 posts
  • Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 24 March 2012 - 15:42

I would be very surprised if it gets cancelled. I was really looking forward to it since GDC 2011. The new direction they took with the story was great. At the moment, it may very well be cancelled already. Bethesda has refused to comment on it unlike the rumours of Doom 4's cancellation. When that rumour started to spread, Bethesda was fairly quick to announce that it wasn't cancelled.

Anyway, I'd be surprised because Human Head Studios isn't an incompetent studio. I really enjoyed playing their last game (Prey). I can only guess at why a game like Prey 2 would be cancelled but the first thing that comes to mind is quality. It may not be as good as we thought and that's something I feared. Prey used a modified version of id Tech 4 which is the same engine that powered Doom 3. Prey 2 also uses a modified version of id Tech 4 which seems a bit odd considering the age of the engine.

#6 rajputwarrior

rajputwarrior

olé olé olé olé

• 12,924 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 15:53

learning from their mistakes? games that look good that they know will turn to **** i.e. brink.

#7 S00N3R FR3AK

S00N3R FR3AK

Champion

• 1,742 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 18:53

learning from their mistakes? games that look good that they know will turn to **** i.e. brink.

Except I don't think any of those games besides Brink ever looked good.

#8 Unrealistic

Unrealistic

Laughter is all we have.

• 1,772 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 00:32

Not surprising, but definitely disappointing if true. Given the lack of updates on this game, I had a suspicion it was turning into vaporware (all over again).

#9 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

• 6,736 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:48

Maybe they just decided to mirror the original Preys 12 year development cycle?

#10 JaredFrost

JaredFrost

Neowinian

• 1,343 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:53

Prey 2 canceled? again?

#11 XX55XX

XX55XX

Neowinian

• 183 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:53

Disappointed, but there is little we can do about it.

#12 Dreamspell

Dreamspell

Neowinian

• 253 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia Icon

Posted 17 April 2012 - 14:14

Still no news about this rumor. I don't know what to think of this silence.

#13 Dreamspell

Dreamspell

Neowinian

• 253 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia Icon

Posted 19 April 2012 - 14:36

Development of Prey 2 has not been cancelled but the game will not be released in 2012 as planned. The delay is due to the fact that game development has not progressed satisfactorily this past year, and the game does not currently meet our quality standards. Prey 2 has shown great promise and we regret disappointing our fans. We have made a substantial investment in game development to deliver the experience fans want. We are determined only to release the AAA game that fans rightfully expect, and are unwilling to compromise our quality standards to meet a release schedule.

Source: http://www.bethblog..../prey-2-update/

#14 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• 21,351 posts
  • Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 19 April 2012 - 14:42

Thanks for the update, Dreamspell. I'm relieved to read that it isn't cancelled. I don't mind waiting until 2013 as long as the quality of the game is good.

#15 OP Muhammad Farrukh

Muhammad Farrukh

The End is Nigh

• 7,621 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:39

Well, that is certainly good news.