Metro for Steam - 3.6.8

3.2 - Download - Screenshots - Settings App (Executable) - Settings App (Source) - Donate - Steam Group (Changelogs and Progress Reports)

Fairly large release here!

Metro for Steam now features one of seven decals, as well as the option to remove the decal entirely. The Settings App has been updated to take advantage of this, so be sure to grab the latest version from the link above. I've also refreshed the navigation bar with new icons, adjusted heights for consistency, and a fresh font. Take a look at the screenshots to decide which is your favorite!

That aside, I'm sure the biggest change for some will be the inclusion and better representation of the "Recent Players" and "View Players" buttons in the overlay. Check it out! This idea can be largely credited to lordcrypto, if my memory serves me correctly. It came up in conversation quite some time ago but I wasn't exactly sure how I'd execute it until now. It breaks consistency with the rest of the panels, but I feel that with the addition of icons their functionality is immediately noticeable.

I took a crack at the Family Sharing bug some have experienced. I don't have access therefore I can't test, so let me know if it worked. 

General:

New Icons

Changed Navigation Link Font (Included Segoe UI Semilight for those without it)

Added Decals

Fixed Family Sharing Button Misalignment

Chat Window:

Fixed Avatar Positioning

Changed Menu Icon

Overlay:

Removed Recent Players Icon Link

Added Recent Players and View Players Text Links

• Like 2

Already got it installed (by way of awesome timing). Have to say I continue to love your work :D

Thanks a lot! :)

• 4 weeks later...

3.2 - Stable | 3.3 - Steam Beta - Download - Screenshots - Settings App (Executable) - Settings App (Source) - Donate - Steam Group (Changelogs and Progress Reports)

I added a version of the skin to the archive meant for users of the Steam Beta. It fixes the downloads page among some other things. All changes will be pushed to the stable release at a later date.

• Like 2

3.3 - Download - Screenshots - Settings App (Executable) - Settings App (Source) - Donate - Steam Group (Changelogs and Progress Reports)

Valve pushed the beta changes to the stable client. Everyone can use 3.3 now.

Does anybody else notice slower loading times in the Steam client while using those skins?

Yep. but worth it.

Oddly enough, most people seem to say the skin makes Steam feel faster. If you're talking about client startup times, I've done some quick testing out of curiosity (starting up Steam several times with and without the skin) and according to the developer console there's just about no difference between the two. We're talking maybe a tenth of a second and they both trade blows for first place.

These results aren't scientific, of course, and I can only go by my system.

• Like 2

It definitely slows down my launch, but I don't have scientific numbers either.

Any way you could shoot me info on how to replicate the tests you did?

Might I also add I love the new download interface in 3.3.  Having all the extra info is awesome, along with the coloured accent panel at the top.

You're awesome at this stuff :)

It definitely slows down my launch, but I don't have scientific numbers either.

Any way you could shoot me info on how to replicate the tests you did?

Might I also add I love the new download interface in 3.3.  Having all the extra info is awesome, along with the coloured accent panel at the top.

You're awesome at this stuff :)

Create a shortcut to Steam and add -dev to the launch parameters (something like that). Once Steam loads you'll see a new link in the header for the console. One of the first few lines should have startup time. For what's it worth, my copy of Steam is on an SSD.

I tried to keep the spirit of Valve's new design while adding my own style to it. I'm happy with the way it came out.

Thank you! :D

• Like 2

Question, how do you get to the About Steam dialog when using this skin? For the life of me, I can't find it. Awesome skin, by the way! I'm even using it on the Linux version of Steam. :D

It delays the load by about 1.3 seconds (from 6.4).

Ultimately not bad and I'm definitely not worried.

Obviously I'm loading that from a spinning disk. I also note that the load times fluctuate heavily.. Going to update to 3.3 :D

3.4 - Download - Screenshots - Settings Web AppSettings App (Executable) - Settings App (Source) - Donate - Steam Group (Changelogs and Progress Reports)

3.4 has arrived a bit earlier than planned thanks to the latest Steam Beta update. This release includes fixes for said beta, an overhaul to the voice chat panel, and miscellaneous tweaks and fixes. Users on the Steam stable channel can also use 3.4!

Be sure to check out SoapyHamHocks' new Settings Web App! Select or create an accent color, font, and decal of your choosing without the need to download the standalone settings application! When you're done, simply hit save and a compact custom.styles file will be downloaded and ready for placement in your Metro for Steam folder.

Question, how do you get to the About Steam dialog when using this skin? For the life of me, I can't find it. Awesome skin, by the way! I'm even using it on the Linux version of Steam. :D

I removed it.  :o

It delays the load by about 1.3 seconds (from 6.4).

Ultimately not bad and I'm definitely not worried.

Obviously I'm loading that from a spinning disk. I also note that the load times fluctuate heavily.. Going to update to 3.3 :D

Ah, okay. It definitely varies with each system.

• Like 3

Still by far the best Steam theme I have ever seen. Thanks for keeping it updated  :D  :D

Thank you! :D

Really? Why? I use that dialog to see when the binary of Steam was built. :p

I didn't want the combined menu to be too long and I figured the average user didn't need it.

I did add System Information back recently so there's always hope for the future.  :p

I didn't want the combined menu to be too long and I figured the average user didn't need it.

I did add System Information back recently so there's always hope for the future.  :p

I really hope so! Thanks for the quick reply too! :)

3.4.1 - Download - Screenshots - Settings Web App - Settings App (Executable) - Settings App (Source) - Donate - Steam Group (Changelogs and Progress Reports)

Fixed Steam Workshop download panels.

I really hope so! Thanks for the quick reply too! :)

You're welcome! :)

• Like 3

Nice, this skin seems to work with touch as well by seeing the screenshots.

Will install it later today and use it on my Surface Pro.. ^_^

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

3.5.2 - Download - Screenshots - Settings Web App - Settings App (Executable) - Settings App (Source) - Donate - Steam Group (Changelogs and Progress Reports)

Hello everybody. 

An important release is coming to a Steam client near you! Here's what it has to offer: 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 

Updated archive file structure

A few users had difficulty installing the previous release. This aims to eliminate any confusion. 

Cleaner skin folder structure

I've moved a few things around. If any images appear to be missing please bring them to my attention! 

Compressed larger images

What does this mean to you? Well, probably not much considering the skin isn't all that hefty to begin with. The larger TGAs have been compressed with no loss of quality to reduce the unpacked size of the skin. Because why not? 

Removal of deprecated images and code

Let's keep things clean and organized! 

Updated text boxes

Even I can't imagine going back to the lighter ones after using these. Consider me a convert... 

Improved web page scroll bars

I've given them a bit more width by request and a border for contrast! Ideally the client scrollbars would match, but that doesn't seem to be possible. I won't design around the lowest common denominator. 

New server browser and game info windows

They've been completely overhauled and the response has been positive. I hope you find them to be as functional as they are pleasing to the eye! 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 

Other minor changes and bug fixes can be viewed in the changelog above. Also, don't forget to take a peek at the screenshots!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Does anybody else notice slower loading times in the Steam client while using those skins?

not really an issue when you just open steam and leave it open for days.

not really an issue when you just open steam and leave it open for days.

Well, I do turn my PC off so... Anyhow, it's out of question now as I'm using a hell of a slow laptop :P