[iPhone 4] Bluetooth was on

So this morning I went to turn Bluetooth on (on my iPhone 4, running 5.1) and discovered that it was already running. I don't remember ever having touched it, so it has been on for weeks (or months).

A few questions:

1. Is it on by default when you buy the phone?
  2. Now that I turned it off, will I get better battery life?
  3. While it was on, could someone have paired their phone with mine (without me noticing) and stolen any information? If so, what could they have taken?

Thanks!

1) By default, the Bluetooth switch is on. You'll notice this on a fresh iOS install, or if you reset all settings.

2) In theory, yes. Not sure if it does make a real difference.

3) As far as I'm aware, you cannot use Bluetooth to access files in iOS, nor can you transfer files. You can if you jailbreak your phone.

Denis is right. I'll just add that I always have Bluetooth on and get decent battery life so I've never worried about it. I use my Bluetooth for an ear piece and my car stereo (to stream music).

You can't use Bluetooth to snoop around on the phone (unless there is an exploit or something). You can use it to exchange contacts but you have to actively do that on your phone.

I keep mine on all the time as I use BT headphones to listen to music while I cycle to and from work and can't be asked switching it on and off twice a day.

1) By default, the Bluetooth switch is on. You'll notice this on a fresh iOS install, or if you reset all settings.

2) In theory, yes. Not sure if it does make a real difference.

3) As far as I'm aware, you cannot use Bluetooth to access files in iOS, nor can you transfer files. You can if you jailbreak your phone.

+1

iPhone 4 the Bluetooth is 2.1

4s is 4.0

so if it is just the 4 you have then the 2.1 bluetooth will consume some power, moreso than 4.0, which basically uses none when not paired with another device....

So you will probably get a bit more battery, but as always other things like playing games, watching videos or using a lot of mobile data will have a much much larger effect on battery life.

so if it is just the 4 you have then the 2.1 bluetooth will consume some power, moreso than 4.0, which basically uses none when not paired with another device....

Interesting, good to know!

Because of this post I checked mine, it was on, and I remember turning it off.

I have also noticed my in app purchase restriction switch on also

I guess I have been paranoid because I have always turned my off unless I am pairing with a device, I have the 4s now and still find myself turning it off in sbsettings until needed, just because I think it may suck more battery life, even though BT4.0 doesnt consume power unless used.

Hell, what in app purchase restriction button?