• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 SuperKid

SuperKid

Im no superman

• Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:29

Hi guys,

I have a Windows live email account and I was wondering is there any program like the Windows Live Mail app which works on Mac? I setup Outlook which works ok but it doesn't work properly, it doesn't show like my folders I have created to sort out my emails like PayPal, Facebook etc. What email client is best to use on a Mac with Live Mail that can support this if there is any?

Matt.

#2 BumbleBritches57

BumbleBritches57

Neowinian

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:30

Hi guys,

I have a Windows live email account and I was wondering is there any program like the Windows Live Mail app which works on Mac? I setup Outlook which works ok but it doesn't work properly, it doesn't show like my folders I have created to sort out my emails like PayPal, Facebook etc. What email client is best to use on a Mac with Live Mail that can support this if there is any?

Matt.

Are you on Lion? if so, Mail should definitively support Hotmail...

#3 OP SuperKid

SuperKid

Im no superman

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:09

Yeah I am on Lion, and yeah Mail works but my point is how do I get it to download folders like on the Live Mail app in Windows as it only downloads my Inbox mail nothing from paypal, facebook etc folders i have setup to split my emails up. Not sure if this is possible if its like a feature microsoft only have in live mail app

Matt.

#4 Rudy

Rudy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:26

It does....using POP3 :x

It's sad because there's no good way of using a native client with Hotmail on OSX

#5 OP SuperKid

SuperKid

Im no superman

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:29

It does....using POP3 :x

It's sad because there's no good way of using a native client with Hotmail on OSX

Oh well, so Microsofts fault really for limiting what Live Mail supports? and yeah it comes up as pop3 -.-

What about gmail? Might end up forwarding my mail to gmail or something

#6 szo

szo

Neowinian

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:42

Live Mail doesn't support IMAP, which most of other email providers use to sync data.

The Live Mail Desktop App on windows uses a proprietary protocol called DeltaSync.

I'm not sure if DeltaSync works in outlook, but if you use your account through exchange, it might work.

My suggestion is that you forward your hotmail email account emails to a gmail account and then use Mail, Outlook or Sparrow on OS X to download emails from your gmail account.

This way all your folders here will be synchronized too.

#7 butilikethecookie

butilikethecookie

Neowinian

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:59

Try something alternative like thunderbird. It's much faster and powerful.

#8 PyX

PyX

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 March 2012 - 23:10

Heh. I switched from Hotmail to iCloud 2 months ago because the Hotmail team is not bothered to install IMAP, when everybody else has it.

In this day and age, if you have IMAP, nothing happens, but if you don’t, you automatically become a 4th line player.

#9 Unrealistic

Unrealistic

Laughter is all we have.

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:32

I was hoping one of you guys had a better answer than mine (pop3). This is one thing that has always irritated me about Microsoft's Live system and OS X.

#10 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 02 April 2012 - 22:07

Doesn't Outlook 2011 sync with Hotmail? You might try that.

Free trial: http://www.microsoft.com/mac/trial

Funny...Outlook 2011 will only do Mail syncing with Hotmail, but won't sync with the calendar or contacts.

Meanwhile, GMail will sync mail, contacts, and calendars with Outlook 2011 (or iCal, Contacts, and Mail stock OS X apps). Hmmm... looks like I won't be switching to Hotmail or Windows Live Mail anytime soon.

#11 OP SuperKid

SuperKid

Im no superman

Posted 02 April 2012 - 22:24

Doesn't Outlook 2011 sync with Hotmail? You might try that.

Free trial: http://www.microsoft.com/mac/trial

Funny...Outlook 2011 will only do Mail syncing with Hotmail, but won't sync with the calendar or contacts.

Meanwhile, GMail will sync mail, contacts, and calendars with Outlook 2011 (or iCal, Contacts, and Mail stock OS X apps). Hmmm... looks like I won't be switching to Hotmail or Windows Live Mail anytime soon.

I have Outlook with my Office for MAC Student and I tried it out and it isn't great at all, i found pages of emails still on my live web view it wasn't syncing very well and its still pop3

#12 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 02 April 2012 - 22:39

I have Outlook with my Office for MAC Student and I tried it out and it isn't great at all, i found pages of emails still on my live web view it wasn't syncing very well and its still pop3

Does Hotmail support forwarding? If you forward all of your mail to a gmail account, use IMAP, and then setup so that your sent email was from your @live account you could have an OK setup... that is if you didn't want to drop your current email address. Otherwise, I'm not sure there is a good solution for you.

It sucks, but I blame Microsoft on this one. They aren't keeping up with the competition and their almost yearly redesigns of Hotmail really have just repositioned advertisements and not brought anything useful to the table in terms of features. For it to be 2012 and Hotmail still not supporting IMAP is just.... is just.... well I'm just speechless there. POP3 was the bomb back in the day...as in the 90's.

#13 Simon-

Simon-

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 April 2012 - 22:58

www.hotmail.com

Or +1 change to Gmail. iCloud has nothing on Gmail

#14 Unrealistic

Unrealistic

Laughter is all we have.

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 03 April 2012 - 23:16

www.hotmail.com

Or +1 change to Gmail. iCloud has nothing on Gmail

Neither of these are options, nor relevant to his question. Stay on topic and don't troll.

#15 Elliott

Elliott

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:41

I'd +1 just moving to Gmail and forwarding your mail.