usa

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dane

Dane

Neowinian Senior

• 6,763 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:03

So I was wondering if anyone had any home secuirty camera system that they can recommend. I need about three or four cameras. Two of them being outdoor hopefully. Either Wireless or wired. If it comes with a DVR thats good. if not, then hopefully maybe something I can connect to my computer and use software on my computer to look at the cameras and record. I'm looking to spend less then $400. I know logitech makes some but they are expensive to add on cameras and the cameras are too big I think.

#2 M_Lyons10

M_Lyons10

Neowinian Senior

• 13,900 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:08

I've been looking at cameras off and on as well. From what I've seen, I think that IP Cameras make the most sense, as you would be able to see them in the browser from anywhere (Even your phone in most cases), which seems convenient if you're out of town or whatever. I'm interested in suggestions that others might have as well, but based on my limited research, I thought I'd mention that. It is a very nice feature.

#3 deactivated_

deactivated_

Deactivated_

• 888 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:08

I have some older Encore cameras that are doing their job, so don't have any recommendations on more current cameras, but I use the WebcamXP/7 software and love it. Does DVR, motion detection, audio detection, and can even e-mail me the images it picks up. http://www.webcamxp.com/home.aspx

#4 paesan

paesan

Neowinian

• 152 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:27

Nightowl makes good systems. I have the Poseidon-45, it comes with an 8 channel dvr with 500G hard drive, 4 cameras (indoor/outdoor) with night vision and wiring. I paid about $250 for it. I can view all the cameras on my Android phone as well as any computer that has access to the internet. I also added a ptz camera to the system.

#5 OP Dane

Dane

Neowinian Senior

• 6,763 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 21:45

Nightowl makes good systems. I have the Poseidon-45, it comes with an 8 channel dvr with 500G hard drive, 4 cameras (indoor/outdoor) with night vision and wiring. I paid about $250 for it. I can view all the cameras on my Android phone as well as any computer that has access to the internet. I also added a ptz camera to the system.

The one nightowl I was looking at on amazon, how is it? Is it easy to use? I think the one I checked out had 4 cameras.

#6 BeerFan

BeerFan

Neowinian Senior

• 2,704 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:20

I would suggest staying away from FOSCAM devices. I bought their indoor / outdoor wireless IP security cam about 6 months ago and have not been pleased. Menus and options are clunky, disorganized, and appear to have been written by a poorly educated, japanese 1st grader. The functionality isn't great, either... it's hard to use and missing some basic features. I frequently have to try 3-5 times to change an option before it will stick. The device reboots itself at random. The color quality is horrible.