120403075052_RockBandBlitz0.jpg

Developer: Harmonix

Platforms: Xbox Live Arcade, PlayStation Network

Release Date: Summer 2012

Price: TBA (Presumably 1200 MSP / ?9.99 / $14.99)

The cat's out of the bag now. Harmonix announced Rock Band Blitz on G4TV yesterday. In simple terms, it's like Rock Band Unplugged for XBLA/PSN, or a modern incarnation of the classic Frequency and Amplitude games. smile.png The game will contain 25 brand new songs, which are all exportable to Rock Band 3 (sweet!), and all Rock Band DLC and exports are compatible with Rock Band Blitz (freaking sweet!) So when this game launches in the summer, it'll kick off with over 3,000 songs available. And when you buy a DLC song on Rock Band, it's also playable in Rock Band Blitz, so no need to buy it again. So I'll personally have about 300 songs to play from when I get it. tongue.png

Current confirmed soundtrack:

oh god why are they making more. i thought this Fad had ended.

No, just Activision gave up on milking Guitar Hero for a while; Harmonix and Rock Band are still going strong, they've released DLC every week for the past four-and-a-half years, plus they managed to tap into the Kinect market with Dance Central. Only thing that's not happening is a Rock Band 4 this year (they didn't mention not doing a Dance Central 3 this year though, so maybe that's happening instead).

Oh yeah, and there's Rocksmith too, over in North America at the moment (it's hitting Europe in September). That's a more serious game aimed at actually teaching you to play the guitar (Rock Band 3's got Pro Guitar, which lets you play to actual tabs, but you've gotta buy either their MIDI guitar, or their special Squier Stratocaster, whereas on Rocksmith, you can use any electric guitar or any acoustic guitar with a jack input).

I'm surprised this is still going actually, i thought after Guitar Hero packed it in Rock Band would soon follow. There's nothing they can do to bring back the hype and enjoyment of the older Guitar Hero's which pretty much kicked all this off, so i don't blame them for releasing this as DLC only.

I'm surprised this is still going actually, i thought after Guitar Hero packed it in Rock Band would soon follow. There's nothing they can do to bring back the hype and enjoyment of the older Guitar Hero's which pretty much kicked all this off, so i don't blame them for releasing this as DLC only.

Well, the Rock Band series has the advantages of the original creators of Guitar Hero, plus a very loyal fanbase for the past decade or so. Unlike Activision, they listen to their fans and their requests. The game's a great opportunity, as it gives people like me a modern-day version of their old Frequency and Amplitude games, it also allows Rock Band 3 players to play their DLC in a whole new way, and if you're not at all interested in the new game, it's still a 25-song pack for Rock Band 3 at a good price. :)

• 2 months later...

No, just Activision gave up on milking Guitar Hero for a while; Harmonix and Rock Band are still going strong, they've released DLC every week for the past four-and-a-half years, plus they managed to tap into the Kinect market with Dance Central. Only thing that's not happening is a Rock Band 4 this year (they didn't mention not doing a Dance Central 3 this year though, so maybe that's happening instead).

Oh yeah, and there's Rocksmith too, over in North America at the moment (it's hitting Europe in September). That's a more serious game aimed at actually teaching you to play the guitar (Rock Band 3's got Pro Guitar, which lets you play to actual tabs, but you've gotta buy either their MIDI guitar, or their special Squier Stratocaster, whereas on Rocksmith, you can use any electric guitar or any acoustic guitar with a jack input).

And Bandfusion too http://au.xbox360.ign.com/articles/121/1219209p1.html