(Dumb Question) What is my CIFS ID and password?

Depends. Usually boxes use "guest" and no password when accessing public shares.

My media box is trying to access my Windows 7 PC. I dont think it would be THAT easy :p

In that case your username+password? :p

With my domain, with my local PC name, etc?

I would have tried my username and password but I IMAGINE it is something else. Thats why I asked :)

1. Make sure that the share/s have been setup correctly on your Windows 7 PC with the correct permissions for sharing Media (as well as in the Network and Sharing Center options).

2. Try authenticating with your username in this format: Computer name\username and then the password for that account.

3. Otherwise the problem is most likely that you installed the Windows Live Sign-In Assistant as a Windows Update or it was bundled with Windows Live Essentials. In either case, the Assistant needs to be uninstalled and the only way that I know how is to remove all Windows Live Essentials applications...this is of course assuming this is installed on your PC! You also need to turn off password protected sharing in the Network and Sharing Center and your media device should then see your shares.

Hope this helps!

It seems to be a part of Windows Live Messenger and can also run as an Add-on in Internet Explorer...

http://www.bleepingc...-Assistant.html

There seems to be a command line option for the uninstall of just this component and not the whole Windows Live Essentials suite...not sure if it works though as I don't have it installed to test.

It may seem unlikely but if you do a Google search for the CIFS login prompt you are getting, you will find that it actually is a 'problem' that many others are/were facing with their own media devices and the root cause seemed to always point to the Windows Live Sign-in Assistant being installed - don't ask me why this would cause the issue, but apparently it just does.

Next time don't just rule out the possibility of a 'problem' just because it doesn't seem likely - do some research to backup your claims, as I certainly don't just post random information for the sake of a reply.