Which is the best dual/multiple monitor program?

Question

Hello!

I have tried many programs that extend dual/multiple monitor support such as Ultramon and they offer Taskbar extensions and individual wallpaper to each monitor.

Today I stumbled upon on "Actual Multiple Monitors" it offers everything Ultramon has and much more including Dual Start Menu with Taskbar and Notification area!

But before I continue using on a daily basis, I would like your opinion and your experience with Dual/Multiple monitor programs

What programs have you tried and what features did they offer?

Before anyone posts their experience I'll make the start:

Ultramon:

*Taskbar extension: The taskbar continues on other monitors and you can customize it to mirror all windows or show you only the windows that are opened in each screen

*Shortcut properties extension: You can configure a shortcut of a program/window to launch in a specific area or monitor

*Individual Wallpaper: It lets you have a different wallpaper in each monitor

*Window Buttons/Commands: Ultramon adds 2 buttons/commands next to close/maximize/minimize to all windows which let you to transfer each window to another monitor or maximize the window through all monitors

Actual Multiple Monitors:

It offers everything Ultramon does excluding "shortcut properties" but has more features such as:

*Mirrored Start Menu with Taskbar, notification area, system tray icons

*Mirror Window: Hard to explain I'll screenshot it. http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/8695/43457815.png

and many more which I haven't discovered yet..

7 answers to this question

I believe Display Fusion is the third option.

I think most people like Display Fusion or Ultramon. I personally use Ultramon and it works well, though it would be a nice feature to have the start button on the second screen, so I may have to give AMM a try.

I believe Display Fusion is the third option.

It is. I've been using it for a few years now and I like it a lot. I used to use Ultramon, but something broke a while back and I switched to Display Fusion. I can't remember what it was, but I'm sure it's fixed by now. :)

I've been using Displayfusion for a year and wouldn't change. The support is excellent and there constant updates with new features. There is a trial version, so recommend you at least try it.

I was a happy UltraMon user for years, but several months ago I switched to Actual Window Manager when it was mentioned somewhere on Neowin. Actual Window Manager includes Actual Multiple Monitors as well as several of their other programs (one of which is dedicated to allowing you to customize size, position, etc for any program/window) all rolled into one. I honestly fail to see how any other program can compete with this one after using it this long. Also, if you already own one of the other programs, they offer you a 30% discount to switch to Actual Window Manager (I took advantage of that). Anyway, I couldn't be happier with Actual (Y)

I recommend you Actual Multiple Monitors.

Because:

1. It has much more features than Ultramon and Display Fusion, but costs only $30. For example, the feature Ignore Deactivation, which allows gaming in fullscreen mode on one monitor and doing anything else on the other monitor without game's minimization.

2. It has active support and free updates several times in year.

3. It has earlier support of Windows 8. Also, AMM will support Metro interface on all monitors in the feature.

4. If you don't like to pay for AMM, use free version with limited functionality.

I recommend you Actual Multiple Monitors.

Because:

1. It has much more features than Ultramon and Display Fusion, but costs only $30. For example, the feature Ignore Deactivation, which allows gaming in fullscreen mode on one monitor and doing anything else on the other monitor without game's minimization.

2. It has active support and free updates several times in year.

3. It has earlier support of Windows 8. Also, AMM will support Metro interface on all monitors in the feature.

4. If you don't like to pay for AMM, use free version with limited functionality.

This is a great first post. Welcome to Neowin :)