Getting back to Unreal Tournament in 2012

51 replies to this topic

#1 Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 12 years on Neowin

• 20,012 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted 22 April 2012 - 17:37

Unreal Tournament was released in November 1999 and was considered amongst the gaming community as direct competition to id Software’s Quake 3, which was released in the same year.

Unreal Tournament garnered many awards and positive reviews overall, in fact beating Quake 3, so a lot of attention was given to the game in the early 2000s, even after the sequel Unreal Tournament 2003 was released.

Up popped many large websites dedicated to the Unreal series, putting specific focus on Unreal Tournament. Amongst these were GameSpy’s PlanetUnreal, the largest news website for the game series and Nali City (now no longer around), the largest website dedicated to custom maps for local and online play for the game.

These days, the Unreal Tournament community is much smaller than it once was but it is still active. At the moment (afternoon of 22 April 2012), there are 987 servers (107 of which are populated, consisting of a total of 497 players).

If you wish to jump in online, the following downloads are suggested to get you ready:
  • Official v436 Patch
  • Released in August 2000
  • This 7 MB patch is the latest official patch for the game and is needed to play online. A ”No Delta” patch exists for those having CD reading problems, or for those who obtained the game bundled. The v436 patch is not needed if you bought the Game of the Year edition (e.g. retail or on Steam) as it will be up-to-date already.
  • Bonus Pack #1, The Epic Pack
    • Released in January 2000
      3 new characters, 11 new maps and 6 new Relics.
  • Bonus Pack #2, The Digital Extremes Pack
    • Released in January 2000
      3 new mutators and 2 new maps.
  • Bonus Pack #3, The Inoxx Pack
    • Released in May 2000
      2 texture packs and 6 new maps.
  • Bonus Pack #4, The Christmas 2000 Pack
    • Released in December 2000
      2 new models, two texture packs and 12 new maps.
  • Community Tribute Classic (CTC) Map Pack Vol. 1
    • Released in November 2004
      6 new maps
  • Community Tribute Classic (CTC) Map Pack Vol. 2
    • Released in December 2004
      18 new maps
After installing these, you’ll be ready to hit the online servers! Good luck and frag out!

#2 Kerm

Kerm

Neowinian Senior

• 8,244 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 17:40

You still play? Shame there are so few players on now.
Certainly my favourite game of all time and certainly the only game I need installed for LAN parties. :p

#3 OP Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 12 years on Neowin

• 20,012 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted 22 April 2012 - 17:43

You still play? Shame there are so few players on now.
Certainly my favourite game of all time and certainly the only game I need installed for LAN parties. :p

I haven't played since UT2004 was released. But I played it solid from 1999-2004.

#4 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• 3,240 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 22 April 2012 - 17:52

I think it should be noted that UT99 can have some performance issues at times with modern hardware, mainly the cpu, due to how it was made back then.

Also, i'd recommend using a third party renderer over the default d3d one, such as the one here: http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/ As it offers more options, such as AA/AF without having to force it in the driver control panel and others.

#5 MidnightDevil

MidnightDevil

Resident Evil

• 2,166 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 21:23

This game was EPIC! UT2004 brought vehicles and an entire new atmosphere to the game.. and the skateboards in UT3 are a must... neverless.. lovely post, brings back memories.

#6 MinTeH

MinTeH

Neowinian

• 21 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy SIII

Posted 29 April 2012 - 13:24

Loved the original, played it for ages. It was one of my first game addictions along with Counter Strike. UT3 I got into quite a bit but seemed bot filled when I last tried to play :(. Might give this ago when I get back home later.

#7 Miuku.

Miuku.

A damned noob

• 4,885 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 13:39

Shame there hasn't been a worthy successor after UT3 flopped.

#8 +imachip

imachip

Neowinian

• 1,029 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 13:44

It was quite an epic game, I miss it too! I recommend Tribes Ascend for those who like the pace of UT.

I still hark back to '96 and the original QW occasionally (which i think was the best twitch shooter), plus there was no such thing as a sniper back then. Imagine that!

#9 togerland

togerland

Neowinian

• 415 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:35

I brought it for a lan party last friday... People enjoyed it alot!! The FACES capture the flag map!! AMAZING!!!

#10 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• 3,240 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:05

Shame there hasn't been a worthy successor after UT3 flopped.

With the **** poor attitude epic tends to have towards the pc these days it's highly unlikely there will ever be another good UT game. UT2004 will be the last.

#11 Order_66

Order_66

Neowinian

• 1,348 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:23

I still play the original Unreal around once a week when I can, usually just play on the monster map servers, the matches can get quite epic and brutal, I go under the same name I've used since Unreal was released "Apathy" if anyone still plays join me for a game or three sometime.

#12 ccoltmanm

ccoltmanm

Neowinian Senior

• 2,117 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:26

You should put links to UT3 and its updates. It has a larger online base right now.

#13 togerland

togerland

Neowinian

• 415 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 21:34

I still play the original Unreal around once a week when I can, usually just play on the monster map servers, the matches can get quite epic and brutal, I go under the same name I've used since Unreal was released "Apathy" if anyone still plays join me for a game or three sometime.

I think I have seen that name before.... Ill reinstall and start playing again.

#14 Ionium

Ionium

Neowinian

• 1,185 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 21:38

I wish the UDK was for OSX.

#15 ArialBlue

ArialBlue

var lulz;

• 1,768 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 21:57

Either updated OpenGL or D3D10 driver for fancy graphics.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!