Steam coming to Linux ?

rumour steam valve linux

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 Reacon

Reacon

[VGW] Woohoo!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:28

I am definitely taking the time to iron out the kinks in my Arch install once this arrives!

#17 +McCordRm

McCordRm

http://richardmccord.com

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:37

Yea, I'm going to say it again: The only reason I run Windows so for Gaming.
Linux, with free programs like LibreOffice, does everything else I need.

#18 OP ShMaunder

ShMaunder

Neowinian

• Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:39

Indeed, I will be steaming out my dual boot Windows system if this comes out. I only use Windows for Steam.

I do wonder if Valve will put some of the back catalogue of games (ones that are too old) into a wine wrapper.

Michael is posting a video soon of the visit. No idea what it'll contain though.

#19 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:41

Yea, I'm going to say it again: The only reason I run Windows so for Gaming.
Linux, with free programs like LibreOffice, does everything else I need.

I wish I could say that. I use Access a great deal, as well as Adobe products. I am also trying out FL Studio with an eye to purchase it.

Done with /off topic now.

#20 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:36

There are several potential issues Valve will face with Steam on Linux:
  • Which distributions are they going to support?
  • Use the distribution package manager to handle Steam client updates, or roll their own update mechanism?
  • Graphics drivers. I'd expect the Steam client setup scripts to check for a small subset of current proprietary drivers, refusing to install otherwise. Chances are that Valve working on a Linux port of their games could persuade AMD and Nvidia to improve their Linux drivers though.
  • Getting other publishers like EA to port their games to Linux. Sure, Steam:Linux will have a selection of games - the Valve line-up and a bunch of indie games. Will that be enough though?
It's going to be interesting to see how Valve tackle those issues.

#21 Syanide

Syanide

From here to infirmary.

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:40

Does anyone else think this further elevates the Steam console rumors? It's not like they'd write their own OS for it -- Linux seems like a perfect choice.

Great for Linux users either way.

#22 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:22

From Phoronix: A (brief) video showing L4D2 on Linux in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_sLKHOHtug

#23 Groovedude

Groovedude

Neowinian

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:00

this some cool news :).. always the one thing that i found was lacking in linux.

#24 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:17

This is pretty insignificant news. As stated above, this means you can now play Source based games on Steam.. In time.. L4D2 was picked because it was already close to being usable on Linux due to it's strong code base.

How long do you think it will take them to fix TF2 up to run on Linux.. I'm betting a long time. Then they have to move on to CS:S and so on and so forth.

While exciting from an academic stand point, this announcement has little real value.

Add to this abysmal 3rd party driver support for Linux, fairly poor OpenGL support in the drivers and the fact that for all us "nerds" willing to bust out Linux, there are 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 retarded Windows and Mac users; this is just a non-event :\

What's more, EA won't be porting games to Linux because they don't exactly like Steam.. None of the others will either because there is no market for Linux. They won't be willing to invest on the offchance it works well. Also, developing with OpenGL is more expensive than with DirectX. It just won't happen :\

In before flamez..

#25 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:49

sadly, there a ton of games using DirectX instead of OpenGL, so unless the developer converts their games (not going to happen) the only thing to expect is a small catalogue of games in Steam adding the Steam client itself (same happening with the Mac game scene).

still a small step forwarding games in Linux.

#26 ArialBlue

ArialBlue

var lulz;

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:00

There is this dangerous assumption here: Linux users are willing to pay for games.

#27 +Majesticmerc

Majesticmerc

Resident Idealist

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: HTC One X

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:40

There is this dangerous assumption here: Linux users are willing to pay for games.

Why wouldn't we? When the Humble indie bundle comes along, we consistently pay more on average than Windows or Mac users. Just because a lot of the stuff we use is free doesn't mean we're disinclined to pay for software we feel is worth the money.

sadly, there a ton of games using DirectX instead of OpenGL, so unless the developer converts their games (not going to happen) the only thing to expect is a small catalogue of games in Steam adding the Steam client itself (same happening with the Mac game scene).

Well I assume it'd work the same way as Steamplay, where you get the same game for multiple platforms. AFAIK, it's not doing badly on Macs, and I'd assume the games using Steamplay will use OGL, so hopefully we half way there already :)

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!