Photo

Do you enjoy using Java?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you enjoy using Java? (108 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you enjoy using Java?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Tom

Tom

Neowinian Senior

• 3,278 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 18:15

Inspired by a post about Android in another subforum.

Also I've never met anyone who likes using Java so I'm curious if these people exist.

[x] Kill it with fire.

edit: In case people misunderstand what I mean, I meant Java Language.

#2 Rudy

Rudy

Neowinian Senior

• 22,444 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 18:16

Not sure if you meant using applications made with Java or making Java applications.

In my case it's actually a bit of both but what I hate the most is making Java apps :(

#3 OP Tom

Tom

Neowinian Senior

• 3,278 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 18:20

Not sure if you meant using applications made with Java or making Java applications.

In my case it's actually a bit of both but what I hate the most is making Java apps :(

I edited. I meant using the language itself to make applications. :p

#4 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• 5,133 posts
  • Phone: HTC One (Work) Lumia 1020 (Home)

Posted 02 May 2012 - 18:22

Well, I wouldn't say kill it with fire as it does have its good points. (Except the browser plugins, those do need to be killed with fire.) Being able to do the proverbial "write once, run anywhere" is a pretty handy feature to have. Well documented, lots of code out there to work with, etc etc. But the performance can be fairly underwhelming, the GUI toolkits are atrocious, and the language itself is kind of a disjointed mess.. C# is just much more streamlined and nicer to work with.

#5 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• 6,674 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 02 May 2012 - 18:33

Java is a good language. I happen to like it, though it's not my favorite.

The absolute worst thing about Java development are the IDEs. I have tried all of the free ones and none are good. Some are slow and bulky. Others are a pain to use. And all of them look like crapware from the early 90s.

I personally prefer C# because it offers all of the same benefits that Java does, but with a whole lot more to offer. And with the advent of Visual Studio Express, it's a much more compelling option for independent/hobby developers. (in my opinion)

#6 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 11,687 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 02 May 2012 - 18:33

KILL IT WITH FIRE!

#7 Emon

Emon

/dev/null

• 2,079 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 18:37

The absolute worst thing about Java development are the IDEs. I have tried all of the free ones and none are good. Some are slow and bulky. Others are a pain to use. And all of them look like crapware from the early 90s.

I personally prefer C# because it offers all of the same benefits that Java does, but with a whole lot more to offer. And with the advent of Visual Studio Express, it's a much more compelling option for independent/hobby developers. (in my opinion)

This .. you sir are a mind reader!

#8 Rudy

Rudy

Neowinian Senior

• 22,444 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 18:39

You're so right.....and I also have a problem with the 20 thousand frameworks that all do the same thing in a slightly different way and are all mostly incompatible with each other

#9 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• 5,133 posts
  • Phone: HTC One (Work) Lumia 1020 (Home)

Posted 02 May 2012 - 18:49

I dunno -- I agree that most of them are awful and painfully slow, even some of the paid ones like IntelliJ are slooooow. Eclipse is fairly decent though.. it's no speed demon but it tends to be noticeably quicker than most others. Has a few nice features that I wish Visual Studio 2010 had too.. Mylyn for example. Visual Studio has a few nice alternatives but tends to be something monstrously big like TFS or grossly underpowered.

#10 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,406 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 02 May 2012 - 18:51

minecraft

#11 KomaWeiß

KomaWeiß

Neowinian

• 485 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 800

Posted 02 May 2012 - 18:54

Both have useless gui. Now, if Qt was available for C#. I'd be all over C# again, but they don't. Java has no decent gui whatsoever. C# is what Java should've been.

#12 MFH

MFH

RAII fanatic

• 2,350 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 18:56

Out of all the programming languages I've used up until now (more than a dozen) Java definately ranks on the first place in terms of hatred…

#13 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• 11,943 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 18:56

I started studying Java in school thinking I would pursue a CS minor, and quit after one class. I think, having gone back and taught myself programming later on, had I been exposed to any other language, I would have stuck it out.

#14 still1

still1

Neowinian Senior

• 6,990 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 19:02

Java is a good programming language. the only problem is the IDE.
The current IDE's are not easy like the Visual Studio.
Its just a little painful.

#15 ArialBlue

ArialBlue

var lulz;

• 1,768 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 19:13

Java is a great language. Very versatile and can help you accomplish anything.

The bad things is Oracle PR. Oracle has horrible reputation for obvious reasons and its reputation is spewing over to JAVA 7.

The other bad thing is things like Eclipse. Eclipse is very slow compared to Visual Studio for example. It is just bad in terms of performance.

The last thing is the older JAVA versions as they have vulnerabilities and destroy the reputation of the latest JAVA 7 releases with all security features and stuff.