Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:26
Short answer: C# is far easier to learn if you're just starting out.
Long Answer: C# is far easier to learn, but you never really have to learn about memory management with C# which is an important part of software development. Though, it's arguably less relevant in C# because it's a managed language. You can always use C# to learn the ropes of object-oriented development, and then go back to focus on memory management in an unmanaged language like C++.
C# also has better tools, which can make it significantly less frustrating to develop. You can use Visual Studio for both languages, but C# has syntax highlighting, type-ahead, intellisense, and all other modern features of IDEs built into the language (it's a .NET language after all). C++ has some intellisense, but no highlighting or anything else. For beginners, this might be a huge obstacle.
For 99% of anything software developers will ever have to do, C# a good choice. For the other 1%, videogame development, C++ is arguably the better choice. And by "arguably" I mean C++ is only better if you're planning on writing the next Unreal Engine. C# is actually very capable for making small 2D and 3D games.