corsair keyboard k90 mechanical keyboard review vengeance

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#16 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• 12,739 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:45

Whilst not in the scope of this review, a full recounting of the benefits of mechanical switches is available <:address here:>

I'm interested in reading more. :)

#17 OP articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• 4,487 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:50

/headdesk

http://www.overclock...-keyboard-guide

Excuse the link to another forum. It's just the best resource I have found to date >.<

#18 Wakers

Wakers

Neowinian Senior

• 1,865 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:37

Brilliant review.

I have to say though, gaming keyboards are just flat out ugly as a rule. This is no exception - I would never ever buy that.

Myself, I have a custom WASD keyboard - doesn't have all the macro keys (of which there are far too many on the Corsair anyway) but it looks so much prettier. It has better build quality too, as it uses the same backboard that Filco use on their mechanical keyboards.

#19 OP articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• 4,487 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 16:17

I'm glad you liked it :)

I might just do some more as I get new hardware >.<

#20 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

• 7,718 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 16:22

If I could only find a mechanical 'natural' keyboard.

#21 Wakers

Wakers

Neowinian Senior

• 1,865 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 18:52

If I could only find a mechanical 'natural' keyboard.

Are these what you're after?

http://geekhack.org/...anical-keyboard

#22 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

• 7,718 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 19:04

Thanks for the link, still thumbing through but found this statement that fits me to a 'T'

A MS Natural 4000 with Cherry browns would be money.

#23 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,954 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 23:34

The cost of the individual switches is a lot higher than the single piece required for dome switches. A dome switch keyboard is manufactured as a single "slab" of circuitry that you just stick under the board. Mechanical boards required 1 switch per key, thus making them far more expensive :)

Makes sense, thanks. As an owner, do you believe that the benefits justify the cost?

#24 Wakers

Wakers

Neowinian Senior

• 1,865 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:17

Makes sense, thanks. As an owner, do you believe that the benefits justify the cost?

For me, absolutely. The quality and feel of the typing is amazing and it's an absolute godsend if you do a lot of typing (this is not on the Corsair though, I don't own that, but rather referring to mechanical keyboards in general) - they also have a much longer lifespan.

The average membrane keyboard has a keystroke life of 20,000,000 per key ( and tend to last nowhere near that long - I had to replace even Logitech keyboards once a year because it broke), while mechanical switches bump that up to 50 million.

#25 OP articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• 4,487 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:27

I think that's a question of how much you use your computer.

I think it's an enormous improvement, much like when you go from a normal mouse to a gaming mouse. I think it would be a waste if all you do is facebook and check your emails though :) I do a lot of work on my computer, so it's well and truly worth it for me :)

#26 panda_eye

panda_eye

Resident One Post Wonder

• 1 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:27

hi there i was contemplating to whether i should buy this keyboard, but i heard from a mate who works at a computer shop about the software of this keyboard. Apparently the software isnt really that great and it actually wrecks the whole keyboard?
can you shine some light on this please if you have any idea what im talking about.
thank you :)

#27 OP articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• 4,487 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:50

I can vouch for the software not being great. It's entirely usable, but you need to stumble around in the dark for a little bit before you work it out.

On the upside, once the macro is programmed, it will run off the keyboard. That is, you can move the keyboard to a linux machine that doesn't have the driver/software installed and the macros keep working.

I can't say the software ruins the keyboard, but it is pretty sub standard >.<

#28 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• 4,281 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 06 June 2012 - 14:49

I have a SteelSeries 6G v2 and it's been great, only had it for 3 months, but it's great and my wrists don't hurt like they did on my old kb

From mow on I'll always invest in a mechanical kb for all of my computers

#29 DukeEsquire

DukeEsquire

Neowinian Senior

• 3,627 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 17:36

Just a heads up for everyone reading this review, if you don't need all the Macro keys, the Corsair K60 Mechanical keyboard is currently on sale on Amazon.com for $90 and free shipping.

#30 CronicHazel

CronicHazel

Neowinian

• 440 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 17:40

It's a good looking kit, but not worth it for $160 retail, especially when the full keyboard isn't even mechanical, I'll never understand Corsair for doing this hahaha

But it does look pretty amazing, congrats on your purchase =)