• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• Tech Issues Solved: 12
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 10 May 2012 - 17:33

Microsoft to bring full Internet Explorer browsing to Xbox 360 with Kinect controls

Microsoft is currently testing a modified version of Internet Explorer 9 on its Xbox 360 console, according to our sources. The Xbox 360 currently includes Bing voice search, but it's limited to media results. Microsoft's new Internet Explorer browser for Xbox will expand on this functionality to open up a full browser for the console. We are told that the browser will let Xbox users surf all parts of the web straight from their living rooms.

Microsoft has also integrated Kinect gestures and voice control heavily into the experience, allowing Xbox owners to quickly search using the existing Bing functionality and pull up relevant web pages. Kinect support is not mandatory according to our sources, but the browser is said to be tuned for Kinect usage. There's no word on a launch date for Internet Explorer on Xbox, but with E3 on the horizon we'd expect to hear the official details from Microsoft in a matter of weeks.

Source: The Verge

#2 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 10 May 2012 - 17:36

I guess Mozilla and google will complain that MS isn't letting them put their browsers on the Xbox to now then ;)

#3 Coolicer

Coolicer

Comrad General

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920 Black

Posted 10 May 2012 - 17:41

Still waiting for Microsoft to enable Kinect Voice commands outside of US.

#4 The Teej

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian

Posted 10 May 2012 - 17:44

Only took them 7 years

#5 ~Johnny

~Johnny

Earthling

Posted 10 May 2012 - 17:53

Still waiting for Microsoft to enable Kinect Voice commands outside of US.

They seem to work pretty fine in England and France at least :p

#6 Coolicer

Coolicer

Comrad General

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920 Black

Posted 10 May 2012 - 18:00

They seem to work pretty fine in England and France at least :p

France you say?
Mine (Netherlands, region set to UK due to Splinter Cell:C reading the region to determine the lagnuage of ingame text) refuses to do anything with voice on the dashboard...

#7 TheDisneyMagic

TheDisneyMagic

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 10 May 2012 - 18:05

Great to hear, I wonder if will look anything like IE10 Metro from Windows 8 CP.

#8 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 10 May 2012 - 18:07

Interesting, I might use this if they enable inline HTML5 playback instead of launching apps. Might be useful for browsing sites as long as it is not blocked to sell (like Google TV or PS3).

I guess Mozilla and google will complain that MS isn't letting them put their browsers on the Xbox to now then ;)

+1 :p

#9 marketZZ

marketZZ

Neowinian

Posted 10 May 2012 - 18:09

Microsoft isnt stopping anyone from making browser for xbox. so why would anyone complain?

#10 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 10 May 2012 - 19:48

Microsoft isnt stopping anyone from making browser for xbox. so why would anyone complain?

They could be, otherwise why hasn't anyone done one yet? We have all these other apps like FB, Twitter and the youtube app now so what's going on? I think it takes access to some pretty lower level code to make a browser like IE9 run on it, and even then it's not the real IE9 we have out now, they say modified so who knows what that means.

It's probably harder to do and MS isn't going to give just anyone access to what's needed I bet.

#11 Hell-In-A-Handbasket

Hell-In-A-Handbasket

Neowinian Senior

• OS: Win 8.1 Pro, iOS7, OSX 10.7, Ubuntu/WinXP system Died the Good Death

Posted 10 May 2012 - 19:49

It's about time.

But I'm shure I will. Use it as much as I use the PS3 Web Browser ( 3 times since I bought it years ago )

#12 Boz

Boz

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 May 2012 - 19:57

having a browser on an Xbox 360 is pointless. They better allow 3rd parties to develop apps and feature them in App Marketplace on Xbox Live rather than putting in a browser that is just not great to use on a console (as we have witnessed with PS3 and Google TV). Just allow people to put apps on Xbox Live and it's a winner. Right now they only allow apps from those who partner with Microsoft and are big players which is stupid.

#13 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 10 May 2012 - 20:06

having a browser on an Xbox 360 is pointless. They better allow 3rd parties to develop apps and feature them in App Marketplace on Xbox Live rather than putting in a browser that is just not great to use on a console (as we have witnessed with PS3 and Google TV). Just allow people to put apps on Xbox Live and it's a winner. Right now they only allow apps from those who partner with Microsoft and are big players which is stupid.

Last thing we need is just any old crappy 3rd party apps on the Xbox, we get enough of that on our phones IMO. Besides what MS does want is media specific apps not just anything. That limits it to apps from content creators or providers etc.

#14 Boz

Boz

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 May 2012 - 20:26

Last thing we need is just any old crappy 3rd party apps on the Xbox, we get enough of that on our phones IMO. Besides what MS does want is media specific apps not just anything. That limits it to apps from content creators or providers etc.

So you think that having apps liek HBO Go, ESPN, Hulu, EPIX etc are crappy? What's crappy is having laggy, stupid websites you have to navigate with your sticks and without any voice controls via Kinect on a console that we know have always been weak experience.

Yeah, web is totally better than custom made apps that take advantage of full Xbox experience.

That makes total sense :rolleyes:

You want to play arcade games through a browser too on Xbox? Because that's the exact same thing.

#15 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 10 May 2012 - 22:43

Sounds good but I bet it'll be bloody gold members only.