[UK] Best Fibre Optic ISP?

100 megabits per second. A byte is made of 8 bits. Therefore 100/8 = 12.5 Megabytes

I get at top speed around 12mbps on 100mb line from Virgin. You will get up to 15mb on a perfectly set up 120mb connection if you stream from the best servers/torrents. :)

I think you're confused about my post. When I said 120Mb / 12Mb I mean my download is 120Mbps and my upload speed is 12Mbps. I wasn't doing a bit to byte conversion.

Yeah I'm currently on 50MB and moving up to 120MB shortly...

Wish I could get a 120MegaByte connection, heck I would settle for 50MegaByte! :p

Well as long as you don't use the superhubs that were made by netgeat then you should be fine...

How could you bad mouth a company you love so much :rofl:

well most of the people complaining about problems are complaing about netgeat routers and not netgear....

google for netgeat

100 megabits per second. A byte is made of 8 bits. Therefore 100/8 = 12.5 Megabytes

I get at top speed around 12mbps on 100mb line from Virgin. You will get up to 15mb on a perfectly set up 120mb connection if you stream from the best servers/torrents. :)

Meh, :)

Downstream configured on my cable modem for their advertised 50Mbit service is currently set to 53000000 bps, with 3044 bytes burst.

The result...

50megawhoosh.png

And I'm quite happy with that. When I was on the 20Mbit service I would get at least 2MB/s too.

Great! Wouldn't mind playing around with DD-WRT, would there be any Wireless N AP for ?30ish with DD-WRT?

ASUS RT-N15.

Its wireless N. Gigabit ports. Has firmware for DD-WRT via a simple upload to the admin page. ?23.99.

Not sure how well its supported on DD-WRT, as its not a very popular one but brainslayer has builds for it.

Check the forums and you'll find a stable one if you're really wanting to play around with it.

ASUS RT-N15.

Its wireless N. Gigabit ports. Has firmware for DD-WRT via a simple upload to the admin page. ?23.99.

Not sure how well its supported on DD-WRT, as its not a very popular one but brainslayer has builds for it.

Check the forums and you'll find a stable one if you're really wanting to play around with it.

I'll have to try that out! Won't purchase a router until I've moved in the house. Don't want to spend money on a AP, if the Super Hub cuts it!

Anyone know if I can get past the installation fee if the previous tenants had a Super Hub / VM connection?

I take back what i said, i had an absolute nightmare with my SuperHub last night, my Mac just wouldn't connect, then when it did it was so slow i done a speed test and it showed 1mb. Eventually it started to show 30mb but one thing i did notice is that my iphone and iPad was connected no problem so it looks like it could be my mac.

Can i hook up an access point to the router, instead of another router?

It's hard to complain, VM phoned me last night and offered to boost me up to 60mb, TIVO, HD box in another room for an extra ?3/month. happy customer.

I've just ordered the 60Mb package.

If their Super Router doesn't cut the mustard, what is a simple one to purchase? Like the OP, I don't want to spend massive amounts of money and I don't even know what DD-WRT is. I just want something simple that I can use :/ I'm hoping their hub will be all right... or at least good enough for me.

Thanks

I would recommend since Virgin is available you should go with them, although BT's FTTC could get you a decent speed too, you have to remember distance from the cabinet is a major factor in decreased speeds.. something that Virgin doesn't suffer from.

Of course you could end up with terrible speeds on Virgin if the area is over subscribed, however I think this is far less likely to be the case. As for the superhub, it's alright but it does have its issues sometime, if it plays up you can always stick it into modem mode and connect it to a different router.

Virgin also have traffic management during peak times but depending on your usage you might not hit their limits or even notice it, I believe BT do the same.

Out of the two I would definitely recommend Virgin but if you were to go with FTTC instead of choosing BT you should go with Sky. Sky's FTTC packages are truly unlimited and actually have no shaping or traffic management at all, no matter what time of day. They have the 40/2 package listed on their site but they also have an 80/20 package you can only get by calling them (more info: http://www.skyuser.c...ro_is_here.html )

Thanks