Learning Linux

A few of you will recognize me from my debian post of a few days ago, im trying to get a basic understand of linux and how to maintain a linux box and hopefully later a linux server.

I started out by installing Debian and I am wondering if thats the best way to start? I figured by installing a somewhat more difficult-to-use linux distro id get the hang of it and learn more about using linux, so far its been tough but im making some progress, but im wondering if im going about this the wrong way? would i be better off installing a more user-friendly distro, like say opensuse or ubuntu then moving to debian?

I would recommend picking up a Linux+ book, you don't have to take the certification test but knowing the material will give you a good overall knowledge of maintaining a Linux System. Then if you want to go deeper pickup a RHCE/RHCSA book to get into the depths of learning server.

debian isn't actually all that high up on the linux difficulty chain, it's not all that different from Ubuntu (well it wasn't before Ubuntu switched away from gnome 2.x and made their own interface)

if you really want to get to know linux set up an Arch Linux machine and follow the guides listed on the site (I recommend running a few trials in a virtual machine first till you get the setup right) after you mess around with it for awhile and get it set up in a way you like it runs great and will be a smooth experience to learn in

debian isn't actually all that high up on the linux difficulty chain, it's not all that different from Ubuntu (well it wasn't before Ubuntu switched away from gnome 2.x and made their own interface)

if you really want to get to know linux set up an Arch Linux machine and follow the guides listed on the site (I recommend running a few trials in a virtual machine first till you get the setup right) after you mess around with it for awhile and get it set up in a way you like it runs great and will be a smooth experience to learn in

I would suggest that or possibly Mint.

Now if you want a challenge-- try slackware..

I would suggest that or possibly Mint.

Now if you want a challenge-- try slackware..

or Gentoo :p

that one's no easy task to get set up :D

arch os not that difficult.. as brando said, gentoo is a more "hardcore" level hehe

yeah, arch is good for learning the basics of setting up linux

Installing Linux != learning to use it. To learn how to run a server Debian is a good choice actually, and there is a lot of information about it all over the web. The Debian Wiki is a good starting point.

Ubuntu = African word for 'I can't install and administer Debian.' :shifty:

• 2 weeks later...

Arch or Gentoo is definitely the way to go if you want to understand Linux. Arch Linux is better in my opinion because you don't have to compile every package (which takes forever). A toolchain build of Gentoo on the other hand is the ultimate way to learn about Linux, but obviously not for the faint of heart.

If you just want to get something up and running, then play around with it, download Ubuntu server edition.

Another vote for Arch here. They have a VERY extensive wiki that details most things you'll need to know about getting your linux install up and running, as well as lots of useful information for debugging issues you might come across. The installation is more involved than most distros, but it's well documented and as long as you have the Beginners' guide to hand, you'll find it a good learning experience IMO.

Another vote for Arch. I learned a lot the last couple months. The Arch wiki covers just about everything. After a couple months using Arch, I can't see myself going back to any of the previous distros I have used.

this seems helpfull

1.1 What This Book Covers

This book covers GNU/LINUX system administration, for popular distributions like RedHat and Debian, as a tutorial for new users and a reference for advanced administrators. It aims to give concise, thorough explanations and practical examples of each aspect of a UNIX system. Anyone who wants a comprehensive text on (what is commercially called) ``LINUX'' need look no further--there is little that is not covered here.

http://rute.2038bug.com/rute.html.gz

Id say start with building an Arch system, reading Linux+ is a good start also. Hardest part is the command line adjustment, once you can do that easily the rest just falls into place as you learn things.

If your starting to learn Linux and using Debian (Good choice by the way. I use Debian on all my Linux Servers). Start off by installing a base system only (No X Windows System - gnome, kde etc). This will be a pure command line box. From here you learn the command line functions of installing packages (apt-get), editing config files and changing system settings. Copying, moving, deleting files etc.

By learning the command line you get a better understanding and grasp of how your system functions and what it is doing.

Install and setup samba/apache/mysql/mail server/ssh server/ftp server. By doing this through the command line you will know what is being installed, what config files you need to edit to add functionality to these packages. Howtoforge has some great guides and resources and the debian wiki is another great resource as well.

The best way to go is definitely console.

Arch is the best way to learn the basics

Gentoo is the best way to learn the advanced / harcore stuff like custom kernel compilation, additional / advanced security like PaX, GRsecurity, SELinux etc.