iMac really slow after 10.7.4 Update

Hi Guys,

I updated to OS X Lion 10.7.4 a few weeks ago using Software Update (Delta method). Since the upgrade my internal hard drive has had non-stop clicking every 5 minutes. The non-stop clicking is a severe performance issue and effectively halts all programs in the background. It's as though the entire drive is being indexed, although this has been happening for more than several days.

Specs: iMac 27" 2010, C2D 3.06GHz, 8GB RAM, More than 60% free space on primary hard drive

Troubleshooting so far:

? Isolated issue to primary hard drive (unmounted all external drives)

? Performed a permissions repair

? Verify disk found zero issues with the primary hard drive

? I have reinstalled 10.7.4 using a combo update

The issue is still persisting.

Any ideas on how I can fix this please?

same here. Running a 2006 Macbook and uhh.....

who? wat? wait?

Clicking sound?

BACK UP NOW!! Pull all you important stuff 1st! Go to Best Buy (or where ever) and get a new drive! It's about to crash!

Mac users and hardware... :rolleyes: :D

same here. Running a 2006 Macbook and uhh.....

who? wat? wait?

Clicking sound?

BACK UP NOW!! Pull all you important stuff 1st! Go to Best Buy (or where ever) and get a new drive! It's about to crash!

Mac users and hardware... :rolleyes: :D

What exactly do you mean by "Mac users and hardware"? Thanks, good to see Neowin is acquiring helpful members in 2012.. :rolleyes:

I should clarify, it is not a clicking sound -- it is a churning sound, and is no different to how it sounded two years ago.

At first I thought it was Time Machine backing up 500GB of crap, but the disk is being constantly accessed. This is also happening to my partners MacBook after she updated to the latest Lion update.

Anyone else with a similar issue?

What exactly do you mean by "Mac users and hardware"? Thanks, good to see Neowin is acquiring helpful members in 2012.. :rolleyes:

I should clarify, it is not a clicking sound -- it is a churning sound, and is no different to how it sounded two years ago.

At first I thought it was Time Machine backing up 500GB of crap, but the disk is being constantly accessed. This is also happening to my partners MacBook after she updated to the latest Lion update.

Anyone else with a similar issue?

sorry bro...just trying to be funny.... :D

ummm....has it come loose? Check that. Is it an Apple approved HD? Just trying to figure out what's up. I'd help u out if i was there :)

Yes... Rollback to 10.7.3.

I had many issues with 10.7.4 update and only after I reinstalled lion using a 10.7.4 install (end losing everything) I corrected those problems.

Apple is really messing up the system update procedures.

It would be better if they started to release small updates, like MS does.

At least now I use Time Machine. :)

Thanks Guys :)

The roll back to 10.7.3 worked on my partners Mac.

On the iMac I resolved the issue by deleting com.apple.TimeMachine.plist in the system Library, restarted and the issue appears to be gone after 20 minutes of use.

According to a tip on MacRumours form it seems that Time Machine was backing up even though the system panel and icon did not indicate any activity.

I miss the stable days of Snow Leopard. :(

• Like 1