• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 mk1990

mk1990

Neowinian Senior

• 1,945 posts
  • Phone: iphone 5

Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:49

Back at school, used to login when the teachers wern't looking and browse the forum for any new skins/hacks/tricks that I could do. Run into problems, Neowin had the solution. You have come a long way now, things have changed. Miss the good ol Neowin :(

(p.s nothing wrong with the new, just miss the good days)

Attached Images

• neowinremin.png

#2 TCA

TCA

Neowinian Senior

• 2,917 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:28

I feel nostalgic

#3 HoochieMamma

HoochieMamma

Professional Hoochie™

• 8,753 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:46

Farrrr, that was so long ago.

#4 kev64

kev64

Jedi Master

• 1,629 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:49

The good old days :)

#5 undeRliRcs

undeRliRcs

leaving and staying

• 796 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:06

That brings me back.

#6 +McCordRm

McCordRm

http://richardmccord.com

• 3,140 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:11

So long ago... hehe

Back when I was a lurker.

#7 Ently

Ently

Neowinian Senior

• 1,831 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 06:13

Wow yeah I am reminiscing back to when I started here too... I wonder how long Neowin will go for *ponders*

#8 Ently

Ently

Neowinian Senior

• 1,831 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 06:16

http://web.archive.o...www.neowin.net/

2001 Neowin! :o haha

#9 +Lingwo

Lingwo

Neowinian Senior

• 5,650 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:48

2001 Neowin :laugh: - I prefer that logo.
Love the use of tables, if a website nowadays did that it would be ripped apart. Back then people would turn a blind eye to it.

#10 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• 29,877 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:06

It was fun building Neowin :p

#11 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• 22,436 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:10

As one of the older members who also used to be on staff for a while I've witnessed all of the ups and downs Neowin has gone through. Truthfully, there have been more ups than downs. What has changed?
  • The front page news has improved a lot. The 'Where unprofessional journalism looks better' tag line doesn't really apply anymore.
  • The forums, while still active, are relatively quiet compared to just a few years ago. The reasons why are an entirely different debate.
  • The OS customisation scene has almost died out, which contributes to the point above. Back in the heyday of Windows XP I would check daily for new visual styles and whatnot, in what used to be among the most frequented sub-fora on here. Nowadays it's mostly dead.
  • Many active users have come and gone. Sadly, the number of those leaving (voluntarily as well as involuntarily) outweighs the number of new active users.
Am I pining for the good old days? No, I enjoy Neowin as it is today, and am looking forward to how it will evolve over the next twelve years.

#12 PurpleHaze420

PurpleHaze420

Neowinian

• 456 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:14

Gotta love seeing the site "back in the day" :laugh:

#13 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 10,909 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:20

http://web.archive.o...www.neowin.net/

Argh, my eyes!

#14 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• 29,877 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:20

As one of the older members who also used to be on staff for a while I've witnessed all of the ups and downs Neowin has gone through. Truthfully, there have been more ups than downs. What has changed?

• The front page news has improved a lot. The 'Where unprofessional journalism looks better' tag line doesn't really apply anymore.
  • The forums, while still active, are relatively quiet compared to just a few years ago. The reasons why are an entirely different debate.
  • The OS customisation scene has almost died out, which contributes to the point above. Back in the heyday of Windows XP I would check daily for new visual styles and whatnot, in what used to be among the most frequented sub-fora on here. Nowadays it's mostly dead.
  • Many active users have come and gone. Sadly, the number of those leaving (voluntarily as well as involuntarily) outweighs the number of new active users.
Am I pining for the good old days? No, I enjoy Neowin as it is today, and am looking forward to how it will evolve over the next twelve years.

Thanks for the comments :) But anything we need to do to improve forum activity, I'm all ears! We're also trying to do more "From the Forums" features, for every 1000 views the featured forum topic gets, maybe a few will stay :p

#15 Steve B.

Steve B.

Neowinian British One

• 5,597 posts
  • Phone: HTC One S

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:42

Unfortunately that seems to be a trend across all forums in the traditional sense. They're just losing popularity...

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!