Photo

Tomb Raider (2013)

official action adventure crystal dynamics square enix pc xbox 360 ps3 lara croft

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#61 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• 3,530 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:21

...clearly you haven't played one in a while. Although the original was marked T for animated blood and violence.

Ha! I've played only the first, when it came out and it was great; good story, graphics, action, puzzles, Lara's "attributes"..funny how similar both games are :)

#62 Roxkis

Roxkis

Neowinian

• 197 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:24

Does anyone know if its spiders in this game? My friend really wants to play it but he's extremely arachnophobic.

#63 Luc2k

Luc2k

Neowinian

• 1,368 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:19

Does anyone know if its spiders in this game? My friend really wants to play it but he's extremely arachnophobic.

I'm at 67% and I've seen no hint of spiders. All the enemies are humanoid, except for a couple of wolves.

#64 OP compl3x

compl3x

Space coyote

• 8,986 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:41

Is "your friend" you? :rofl:

#65 curme

curme

Grand Inquisitor

• 4,121 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:30

No spiders, only rats.

I finished it, great game! Not super short, but not super long either. I guess about average. I was hoping for something the length of 'Uncharted'.

#66 +d5aqoëp

d5aqoëp

Banned

• 3,227 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 19:10

Lara's breasts get a perfect 10. Not completely overdone and they may have been the smallest in the series. Some of the cutscenes deliberately zoom on them and its hard to ignore.

Come on! No one commented on this?

I am stuck at the stupid sequence where Lara has now got crushed more than 10 times by a boulder at the start.
How to go on about that using keyboard and mouse?

#67 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

• 9,281 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 19:19

Halfway through, didn't know what to make of it at first, I thought it was going to be some lame survival horror, then I thought it was going to be exploration and survival, but after the starting 'tutorial' you don't do much 'surviving' the game has settled into being a competent Uncharted clone except Uncharted has charm and humour, this game is just a Lara falling over, on and off things simulator.

If I wanted an Uncharted experience, I would play Uncharted, Tomb Raider is about.....um...... raiding tombs, the secret tombs that are littered around the game have basic puzzles but nothing on the level of the TR of old.

I'm hoping now the story has established itself the sequel will keep what it introduced here but applies it to actual tomb raiding.

The controls however are spot on, I'm not talking about the QTEs, I like that you automatically go into cover without having to snap to it when you are near enemies which causes me no end of grief in cover based games, the jumping and traversal controls are excellent, not once have I fallen to my death because of the controls, only my poor dexterity.

#68 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,972 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 10 March 2013 - 19:40

If I wanted an Uncharted experience, I would play Uncharted, Tomb Raider is about.....um...... raiding tombs, the secret tombs that are littered around the game have basic puzzles but nothing on the level of the TR of old.

It's the story of how she got started, so I can fully understand focusing on the narrative and including smaller tombs. It's very different to the previous games but it's still faithful to the franchise. I expect the next game will see much larger tombs considering that Lara is now much more experienced. It wouldn't really make sense to have Lara starting out with epic tombs.

#69 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 27,234 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 19:51

I am stuck at the stupid sequence where Lara has now got crushed more than 10 times by a boulder at the start.

You have to press F and kick the dude ... or maybe it's E it's one of those.

Lara's breasts get a perfect 10. Not completely overdone and they may have been the smallest in the series. Some of the cutscenes deliberately zoom on them and its hard to ignore.

Come on! No one commented on this?

Look at my comment on page 4 :) post #56

#70 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

• 9,281 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 19:57

It's the story of how she got started, so I can fully understand focusing on the narrative and including smaller tombs. It's very different to the previous games but it's still faithful to the franchise. I expect the next game will see much larger tombs considering that Lara is now much more experienced. It wouldn't really make sense to have Lara starting out with epic tombs.

Yeah I suppose, I am a MASSIVE Uncharted fan so I'm probably biased against Tomb Raider for being a lot like it. I think it went a little TOO far in the opposite direction of the old games.

The thing that annoyed me most is that it did a great job of introducing hunting, Lara feeling remorse over killing something to survive then later on you have an assault rifle, shotgun and a pistol and are gunning down people left right and center.

The story I could take or leave it but the mechanics and game engine are there ready for an epic story.

#71 LCallaghan84

LCallaghan84

Neowinian

• 19 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 21:58

Beat the game already, its really awesome. just hate one part of the game and that is the Action scenes that require you to press certain buttons. that is annoying.

#72 Kyang

Kyang

• 1,181 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 21:59

Beat the game already, its really awesome. just hate one part of the game and that is the Action scenes that require you to press certain buttons. that is annoying.

Those, "Action scenes" are called Quick time events, or QTE's for short. And yes, they're disliked by many.

#73 Chrysaor

Chrysaor

Neowinian

• 217 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 22:11

I got stuck there too, its not clear which key you need to push. You have to press F when the smaller circle is inside the big circle.

#74 vetsanctified

sanctified

Your order is meaningless. My chaos is significant.

• 21,068 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 10 March 2013 - 22:25

You guys are convincing me to get this... and I hated the original TR games.

#75 Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 13 years on Neowin

• 20,384 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted 10 March 2013 - 22:29

You guys are convincing me to get this... and I hated the original TR games.

It's a shame most games don't have demos for you to try these days.