• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 01 June 2012 - 15:09

he Carphone Warehouse has the Lumia 710 at an attractive price of just £99.99 (excluding required £10 top-up), which widens the gap between itself and the supposedly "dirt cheap" Lumia 610 priced at £180 with Clove UK. The Windows Phone is the first Nokia smartphone to be priced below £100 since the partnership began with Microsoft.

The Lumia 710 will remain priced at £100 with Carphone Warehouse until June 7th, so be sure to get in quickly should you be looking to pick one up. The Windows Phone is perfect for those who don't require a device like the Lumia 800, Samsung Omnia, or HTC TITAN, and sports a 1.4GHz processor, 512MB RAM, and 8GB storage.

http://www.wpcentral...ouse-just-£9999

#2 MS Pandya

MS Pandya

In love with Microsoft

Posted 01 June 2012 - 21:45

Hah, awesome. I think I'll buy one for my mum.

Probably worth noting that Carphone Warehouse's stock is usually unlocked out of the box.

#3 ~Johnny

~Johnny

Earthling

Posted 01 June 2012 - 22:30

Heck, what's even more amusing is how great a deal this is compared to other technology - I could buy a Tom Tom Sat Nav for £120 with maps of the UK and a bit of Europe, or I could buy this for £20 less with free maps of the world, and still get the rest of the great smartphone magic to go along with it :p

#4 The Teej

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian

Posted 01 June 2012 - 22:45

Wow, this is pretty tempting to get for my Mum. I'll have to see what she says!

#5 Tom

Tom

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 June 2012 - 22:49

Hah, awesome. I think I'll buy one for my mum.

Probably worth noting that Carphone Warehouse's stock is usually unlocked out of the box.

I used to work there and can confirm that this isn't true.

With that said there are sometimes exceptions, they do sell some phones that are just out right locked but the salesman should point those devices out. To my knowledge NONE of the WP devices CPW sell are locked out of the box.

#6 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 14
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 01 June 2012 - 23:13

Wow, this is pretty tempting to get for my Mum. I'll have to see what she says!

It's a pretty decent phone; my wife traded her old Android in for a 710 and she's quite happy with it. All in all it fit her needs perfectly and it sits squarely in the "it just works with no f'ing around" category.

#7 funkydude

funkydude

Neowinian

Posted 01 June 2012 - 23:16

Makes the 610 seem even more pointless...

I know a few people getting this solely because of the price.

#8 OP George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 01 June 2012 - 23:41

Makes the 610 seem even more pointless...

I know a few people getting this solely because of the price.

Price is of course the factor for many things. Otherwise we'd all have top end stuff, but it doesn't work that way. Smart shoppers look at what they really "need" then go with best price possible. All in all, this does make the 610 look pointless at this price point, heck the 610 would have to go for 50 to compete I'd say.

#9 MS Pandya

MS Pandya

In love with Microsoft

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:40

What's interesting about this is the fact that the device is viable at this price point (it's now an older, more mass-produced device than the 610). If the 710 (which is a damn nice little phone) can be pushed into retail at £100, and was only ever intended to be a medium-low end device, it does make one wonder as to how low the 610's price can be pushed.

Which was afterall, the whole point of the Tango exercise, to combine Microsoft's ability to engineer a produce to work on lesser hardware, with Nokia's ability to volume produce and ship a phone. The next billion.

#10 Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 12 years on Neowin

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:30

I bought one.

There is no rotation lock (so awful for using it when you're laying down) and no way to increase the (very small) text size in Windows Phone 7.5.

Also, the camera of the 710 is poor and the fact there is no continuous auto-focus doesn't help at all.

Sure, it's £110 (you have to buy a £10 top-up) but it's still beaten by Orange's Monte Carlo (ZTE Skate) in my opinion (which is also £110).

#11 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:00

Grrr... I just paid £169.99 for mine from the o2 shop

#12 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:03

I bought one.

There is no rotation lock (so awful for using it when you're laying down) and no way to increase the (very small) text size in Windows Phone 7.5.

Also, the camera of the 710 is poor and the fact there is no continuous auto-focus doesn't help at all.

Sure, it's £110 (you have to buy a £10 top-up) but it's still beaten by Orange's Monte Carlo (ZTE Skate) in my opinion (which is also £110).

Most of your wishes could be granted if you custom ROM it here: (710 forum is combined with 800 for now)

http://forum.xda-dev...play.php?f=1378

Depending on the bootloader it is either easy or very easy to flash it

#13 Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 12 years on Neowin

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:05

Most of your wishes could be granted if you custom ROM it here: (710 forum is combined with 800 for now)

XDA covers the 800 and 900.

#14 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:06

XDA covers the 800 and 900.

Edited my post, they use the 800 forum for the 710

710 Custom ROM
http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1674502

#15 xeleraph

xeleraph

Neowinian

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:09

No rotation lock is annoying, but I disagree with the camera. For that price point, it does quite a decent job.

As for flashing custom ROMs... let's not go there. Flashing custom ROMs is NOT a valid way for the average to solve a phone's problems, and even if it were, Android has Windows Phone completely owned in that regard, no contest.