nokia lumia 710 wp7

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#16 Prince Charming

Prince Charming

El Presidente

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:25

I bought one.

There is no rotation lock (so awful for using it when you're laying down) and no way to increase the (very small) text size in Windows Phone 7.5.

Also, the camera of the 710 is poor and the fact there is no continuous auto-focus doesn't help at all.

Sure, it's £110 (you have to buy a £10 top-up) but it's still beaten by Orange's Monte Carlo (ZTE Skate) in my opinion (which is also £110).

I've used one for development, and I've found it to be a fantastic little device. It's extremely solidly built, and I found the screen quite impressive (I believe it's not a ClearBlack AMOLED like the 800 and 900 have), and the OS flies on it, making it a very very usable price. Compared to the experiences I've had with Android devices at similar price points (and at quite higher price points), it's a delight to use. Low-end Android devices are invariably garbage.

Also, it's £99.95 on most of the networks. £110 is only on some of them.

#17 Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 13 years on Neowin

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:34

I've used one for development, and I've found it to be a fantastic little device. It's extremely solidly built, and I found the screen quite impressive (I believe it's not a ClearBlack AMOLED like the 800 and 900 have), and the OS flies on it, making it a very very usable price. Compared to the experiences I've had with Android devices at similar price points (and at quite higher price points), it's a delight to use. Low-end Android devices are invariably garbage.

No, it's £100 (+ £10 top-up) at the Carphone Warehouse for a week only (until the 7th June). It's £140+ everywhere else.

#18 Prince Charming

Prince Charming

El Presidente

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:38

No, it's £100 (+ £10 top-up) at the Carphone Warehouse for a week only (until the 7th June). It's £140+ everywhere else.

Yeah, like I said. It's £99.95, on most of the networks offered by The Carphone Warehouse. It's £109.95 on O2 and Three at The Carphone Warehouse. This thread is specifically about the Lumia 710 at The Carphone Warehouse.

...why are you correcting my post?

#19 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:41

Yea its £110 on the decent networks, o2 and Three are afaik the only networks with decent tarrifs and bolt-ons

#20 funkydude

funkydude

Neowinian

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:41

Apps themselves can have orientation locks built into them. Instead of running around flashing custom ROMs, ask the author. A few of the apps I use have a lock option and I'm quite thankful. I think a global lock would actually annoy me more than a per-app lock to be honest.

#21 Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 13 years on Neowin

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:53

Yeah, like I said. It's £99.95, on most of the networks offered by The Carphone Warehouse. It's £109.95 on O2 and Three at The Carphone Warehouse. This thread is specifically about the Lumia 710 at The Carphone Warehouse.

...why are you correcting my post?

You never mentioned The Carphone Warehouse at all in your original post.

It is not £99.95 on most of the networks. That is what I was correcting. You're wrong.

#22 Prince Charming

Prince Charming

El Presidente

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:56

You never mentioned The Carphone Warehouse at all in your original post.

It is not £99.95 on most of the networks. That is what I was correcting. You're wrong.

1) This thread is called "Lumia 710 available at Carphone Warehouse for just £99.99".
2) CPW offer the 710 on five networks in total. Three of the five networks have the price of £99.95. Two of the five networks have the price of £109.95. Ergo, most of the networks have the price of £99.95.

#23 Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 13 years on Neowin

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:58

1) This thread is called "Lumia 710 available at Carphone Warehouse for just £99.99".
2) CPW offer the 710 on five networks in total. Three of the five networks have the price of £99.95. Two of the five networks have the price of £109.95. Ergo, most of the networks have the price of £99.95.

The Carphone Warehouse staff in Cannock told me it's £99.95 (+£10 top-up) on Vodaphone and £99.95 (+£20 top-up) on one other network (I forgot).

It's £130+ on the other networks.

#24 Prince Charming

Prince Charming

El Presidente

Posted 04 June 2012 - 13:01

The Carphone Warehouse staff in Cannock told me it's £99.95 (+£10 top-up) on Vodaphone and £99.95 (+£20 top-up) on one other network (I forgot).

It's £130+ on the other networks.

That's cool.

If you read through the first page and followed the link, you would arrive at this page: http://www.carphonew...-LUMIA-710/PPAY

Hitting 'VIEW ALL DEALS' then brings you to this page: http://www.carphonew...IA_710/PPAY/NEW

You will observe the pricing is absolutely in line with the information I've given. You might want to take this up with the store at Cannock.

#25 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 04 June 2012 - 13:06

Deals could differ online to in-store ?

#26 Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 13 years on Neowin

Posted 04 June 2012 - 13:12

Deals could differ online to in-store ?

They do.

He's wrong.

#27 Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 04 June 2012 - 13:20

Just to be sure, do you have to take a contract for a certain period with this to get it at that price?
(if not, that is really cheap)

#28 Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 13 years on Neowin

Posted 04 June 2012 - 13:38

Just to be sure, do you have to take a contract for a certain period with this to get it at that price?
(if not, that is really cheap)

£110 flat (not pay monthly) on Vodaphone :)

For the same price, you can get the Orange Monte Carlo (ZTE Skate) which has a much larger screen and Android (but a much slower processor and lower quality camera) if you prefer.

#29 Prince Charming

Prince Charming

El Presidente

Posted 04 June 2012 - 13:47

They do.

He's wrong.

I wouldn't really accuse me of being wrong. If you want it at that price, just go online and order it...?

#30 Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 04 June 2012 - 22:20

£110 flat (not pay monthly) on Vodaphone :)

For the same price, you can get the Orange Monte Carlo (ZTE Skate) which has a much larger screen and Android (but a much slower processor and lower quality camera) if you prefer.

While I got a ZTE Skate variant for my nephew a while ago I do think at the same price the Lumia 710 is a better choice. It's easier to use, to update and to maintain in general. I don't like Windows Phone because I personally need the 'freedom' of Android, but I can perfectly see why many people do like it. I've sold quite a few 710's a few months ago when I spent two weeks working @ Carphone Warehouse Belgium (aka The Phone House).