Win8RP Gaming Thread

I figure it's better served here than in the Beta thread, given that its only relevant to gamers anyway and fairly close to final.

Just figured I'd make a place for people to see what others experiences have been, here's mine

6870/HDMI/Core i7 build

Sims 3 is still confused unless you put it in 7 compatibility mode.

Max Payne 3 is crashing after the Rockstar video.

Everything else I've tried is running great. Improved over the CP, but obviously MP3 is disappointing.

I am curious about this myself. It seems people got some performance gains with BF3 with the CP.

http://www.reddit.co..._preview_build/

I myself have not tried Windows 8 RP with my gaming rig yet.

I am just curious how the compatibility is. BF3 uses the browser, so I guess if worse comes to worse use Firefox. Starcraft, Diablo, TF2 (well all the source engine games) are they all ok?

IE10 is actually a great performing browser for a change. I actually got rid of Chrome for it.

Don't have any of those games on here, but hopefully someone will pitch in.

(Oh wait I just copied L4D2 to my storage space. It's working fine.)

Not really a "hardcore" PC player (since my PC doesn't have a good Graphics card) but I've been playing a few steam games on it (Portal, Portal 2, L4D, L4D2, TF2, CS:S and GMod) and found it running as good as 7 (if not a bit snappier).

Waiting for nvidia's new drivers then i'll give it some tests. I was running the RP briefly but it doesn't want to recognize some of my hard drives (win 7 has zero problems :()

I ran Dragon Age: Origins, Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 flawlessly on the CP. I'm now on the RP and haven't tested any games on those.

Phenom II X4 (not Black) OC'd to 3.3Ghz, Radeon HD 4870, 12gigs of 1666 RAM. I install all games on my spinners. SSD is only a boot drive.

Rockstar are hilariously bad at making PC games. I wouldn't expect their games to work properly on Win8 until well after it's released.

All their stuff has worked fine for me until now. If it was just their title not working I'd see your point.

Cant get Rage to work via steam it always missing 1 file and dont download it to get it working anyone have any ideas

Usually when it redownloads one file it's just the main executable. It can fix things in some unusual circumstances but doesn't always mean anything.

Yeah I dual-booted with Windows 7, having no problems with running the games apart from a general problem with D3D, whenever I alt-tab out of a game it says "Failed to reset D3D" Press Ok, same message and press Ok again same message, Ok again, then it has Retry and Cancel options, click Retry, same thing from the beginning, click Cancel, game closes... :s :pinch:

- Alera :shiftyninja:

Are the ATI drivers an improvement? The drivers released for the CP were really glitchy. Out of the 2 games I tried, the Mass Effect 3 demo ran at about half the framerate it did on 7 and Dragon Age 2 was just glitchy as hell.

Yeah I dual-booted with Windows 7, having no problems with running the games apart from a general problem with D3D, whenever I alt-tab out of a game it says "Failed to reset D3D" Press Ok, same message and press Ok again same message, Ok again, then it has Retry and Cancel options, click Retry, same thing from the beginning, click Cancel, game closes... :s :pinch:

Yeah, I've had that a few times with Diablo III - certainly not every time though.

I'm waiting for the new nVidia drivers before making any judgements, as they're based on a different architecture.

Diablo 3 was running just brilliantly on it... but there were a few lockups, and experienced the same lockups when viewing videos in browsers, you tube of facebook ... sometimes there would be no video at all, but just refresh the page, and the video starts playing. But after losing some awesome swag dropped by a boss in Diablo3 due to Win8 lockup, i went back to Win7 for now... am hoping Nvidia release new drivers soon! Overall, i think it looks pretty darn good... system performance was just awesome... i had to change security permissions on some drives though, as they were unaccessable till i forced system security permissions on them... that was basically only one major glitch i experienced... will be trying out other games when i have re-installed Win8 with new drivers...

Are the ATI drivers an improvement? The drivers released for the CP were really glitchy. Out of the 2 games I tried, the Mass Effect 3 demo ran at about half the framerate it did on 7 and Dragon Age 2 was just glitchy as hell.

Seems like almost the same so far. I had two games that were less glitchy (Mass Effect 3 and Kingdoms of Amalur) but still had issues and four of the ones I had problems with were still acting up.

Had no framerate issues though. I probably should've dual booted to begin with but I figured they'd have cleared that stuff up by now, heh. Plenty of spare time so no big loss.