Gravity_rush_US_cover.png

Gravity Rush (aka Gravity Daze)

• Developer(s) SCE Japan Studio (Project Siren)
  • Publisher(s) Sony Computer Entertainment
  • Director(s) Keiichiro Toyama
  • Producer(s) Makato Isomine
  • Designer(s) Keiichiro Toyama
  • Artist(s) Yoshiaki Yamaguchi
  • Writer(s) Naoko Sato
  • Composer(s) Kohei Tanaka
  • Platform(s) PlayStation Vita
  • Release date(s)
  • JP February 9, 2012[1]
  • NA June 12, 2012[2]
  • EU June 13, 2012[3]
  • KO June 12, 2012[4]

Plot

The game is set in the fictitious, floating town of Hekseville. The story begins showing the player character, a girl called Kat who has lost her memory. She then runs into a mysterious black cat that gives her the power to control gravity. Kat will use this ability in order to protect people from the threat of a Gravity Storm and the Nevi monsters that have appeared along with it.

Gameplay

The gravity-controlling mechanic can be used to fly through the air (by controlling which direction gravity comes from), walk on walls, and thrust devastating gravity kick attacks towards enemies. The player first presses the R button to make the character float, then aims somewhere by tilting the console or moving the right analog stick, and finally presses the R button again to "fall" in that direction until landing on something -- be it a wall, a moving ship, the underside of a ledge, or the ground. The tilting movement works thanks to the Vita's gyroscope. Gravity Rush also boasts role-playing game elements, such as leveling up, side quests, optional villains to fight, and large, open-worlds to explore. Throughout the game, Kat acquires new abilities, such as a gravity strike, and the power to move objects around.

Toyama commented on the influence the game Crackdown had on this evolution-styled gameplay, as he "really liked the aspect of unlocking skills and becoming more powerful, and achieving a higher level of freedom as you become more powerful".

Official Website (Japanese)

So okay, not the greatest of Official topics, but I have never been good at them. :laugh:

I really have to say, my initial impressions are very, very favorable. Awesome little game so far. Just love having an open world game on the Vita.

The whole gravity shifting is really pretty disorienting, but in a good way. I already spent way to much time on the first challenge. The whole leveling system seems as if it is going to be incredibly addictive. Love the fact it has a proper map. Just really so far loving it.

The demo does the game absolutely no justice whatsoever.

$35.99 well spent, which does include the first round of DLC as well.

Pretty much highly recommend it for any fellow Vita owners. (Y)

Got it as well and started playing a bit. I'm enjoying what I've seen so far. I like the art style and the gravity mechanic is pretty cool. Will dig in a bit more tonight/tomorrow, but I'm trying to balance this and MGS Collection. :)

I played 2 minutes of the demo the other day. It seems cool but I got interrupted and haven't had a chance to go back to it.

it's a great game so far, i'm on chapter 17 right now and doing the dlc content before continuing the main storyline

Looking to pick this up on Friday, got a few games to trade in so will hopefully not have to pay too much for it.

Deleted other 2 threads about it. No clue what happened there, as on my end last night there was only 1 thread. Odd.

Anyway, I had weird ass dreams last night of flying, falling, etc., and the game is no doubt responsible.

• Like 2

Funnily enough I had a dream 2 nights ago about being on fire falling out of a plane... and the only fire I've seen recently has been on Dead Nation. So I hold that responsible too :p

who's seen the special green nevi that's in the rift plains? how the crap are you supposed to damage that thing?

Deleted other 2 threads about it. No clue what happened there, as on my end last night there was only 1 thread. Odd.

Anyway, I had weird ass dreams last night of flying, falling, etc., and the game is no doubt responsible.

Lies. you were trying to create pro-Gravity Rush propaganda! :p

I just got WipEout 2048 yesterday and I wanna play that before I pick this up. Definitely the next game on my list, though.

This game is definitely on my list now. I've been hearing so many good things about it. Ben over at the Penny Arcade Report (who is among my favourite video game writers) in particular said some very nice things about it: http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/funny-how-falling-feels-like-flying-par-plays-gravity-rush

Still have to finish off Rayman Origins on the Vita (which continues to be amazing) before I dig into this, though.

This game is definitely on my list now. I've been hearing so many good things about it. Ben over at the Penny Arcade Report (who is among my favourite video game writers) in particular said some very nice things about it: http://penny-arcade....ys-gravity-rush

Still have to finish off Rayman Origins on the Vita (which continues to be amazing) before I dig into this, though.

I have been playing Rayman Origins here and there ever since I got the Vita, it is my go to great game, and DAMN, I am on the last world now, and it is damn hard. Like one level I died at least 100 times to get through it. Brilliant game and graphics though, easily one of if not the Vita's best IMO.

And have not gotten a chance to play much more of Gravity Rush, but what I do like is even though it is an open world game, can still very much pick up and play here and there. I did 2 little missions since I posted this thread, maybe each 10 minutes, but it suits itself well to a handheld experience even though it seems like a much larger one, if that makes sense.

Lies. you were trying to create pro-Gravity Rush propaganda! :p

:laugh: I will gladly pimp out games if I get free copies, in case anyone from Sony is reading. :shiftyninja: :rofl:

Nah seriously, I only do it with games I feel deserve it, this happens to be one of them.

Picked this up last night so will try get around to playing it maybe in my lunch break at work. Slowly building up my Vita collection and happy with all purchases so far.

Thought it was a delight to play, a nice new IP with some interesting characters and universe that has a habit of giving you more questions than answers. In a world of "serious" "gritty" and "realistic" games it was nice to play something a little more uplifting (heh) and I thought it showed off the Vitas capabilities for open world titles really well.

The controls could be fiddly at times, and some enemies were a pain to kill when they had a habit of moving just before you hit them, but otherwise I thought it was a great game and imo one of the best on Vita.

I do wish however that

there was a little more answering questions or even just more general story content, they had a bad habit of bringing things up making you wonder and then moving on from it so there are a number of story lines left hanging by the end of the game, the end which also didn't really have much going on but left it obviously open for a future game.

Here's hoping for a sequel.

• 2 weeks later...

yep, I'm also hoping for a sequel, and I'm sure there will be one :)

Some of the ideas need a little more polish. A sequel could achieve that.

I'm diggin' this game so far.