Photo

Can't delete a folder on Win 7. Help?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Very Strange Person

Very Strange Person

Neowinian

Posted 27 June 2012 - 19:28

I have a folder on a backup drive called F.E.A.R. I originally made it a year or so ago to backup the game FEAR (Steam backup). Anyway, I was clearing up some old folders and files I no longer use on my backup drive and noticed this folder, checked it and saw there was nothing in it so I tried to delete it. Win 7 is telling me that the folder cannot be found. I've tried googling and I can't seen to find anything that will help. I've also tried booting into safe mode and deleting it there. No joy. Any ideas guys?

#2 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 27 June 2012 - 19:31

Try this:

http://www.filehippo...nload_unlocker/

#3 OP Very Strange Person

Very Strange Person

Neowinian

Posted 27 June 2012 - 22:50

Try this:

Thanks, but it didn't work. I'm not sure if the software is even working properly.

#4 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 27 June 2012 - 23:00

Unlocker seems hit or miss for me too, it installs but never seems to add itself to right click or even load when I tell it anymore, it used to work fine on 7 x64 too.

Maybe the folder was only a link to the real folder on the PC ? (I forget the name of them, you can make them with CMD, a Link folder or something)

EDIT - Found it

The mklink command is used to create a symbolic link. It is natively available in Windows Vista/2008+. It has the following command line syntax:[1]

mklink [[/D] | [/H] | [/J]] linkName target

/D – Creates a directory symbolic link. Default is a file symbolic link.
	/H – Creates a hard link instead of a symbolic link.
	/J – Creates a Directory Junction.
	linkName – Specifies the new symbolic link name.
	target – Specifies the path (relative or absolute) that the new link refers to.

Just like ordinary files and folders, del and rmdir can be used to delete symbolic links to files and directories.

To delete a symbolic link to a file or directory, the following command line syntax can be used (in each case, "linkname" specifies the name of the symbolic link to be deleted):

For links to files:

del linkName

For links to directories:

rmdir linkName

You could try this from CMD too

RD /S /Q pathname

pathname being the path and folder name

#5 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 16
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 27 June 2012 - 23:03

have you tried deleting the folder from a linux live cd? I've been able to delete corrupt folders and files before using linux

#6 OP Very Strange Person

Very Strange Person

Neowinian

Posted 27 June 2012 - 23:14

have you tried deleting the folder from a linux live cd? I've been able to delete corrupt folders and files before using linux

I guess this is my best bet. Which means I have to twiddle my thumbs for ages while I download Ubuntu or something else onto a DVD. Windows can be a pedantic pain in the arse sometimes.

#7 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 16
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 27 June 2012 - 23:15

I guess this is my best bet. Which means I have to twiddle my thumbs for ages while I download Ubuntu or something else onto a DVD. Windows can be a pedantic pain in the arse sometimes.

just get something small like puppy linux :)

#8 Marshall

Marshall

▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▁ ▅

• Tech Issues Solved: 7

Posted 27 June 2012 - 23:17

Have you tried Malwarebytes File Assassin tool?

#9 OP Very Strange Person

Very Strange Person

Neowinian

Posted 27 June 2012 - 23:21

Have you tried Malwarebytes File Assassin tool?

Tried that, didn't work.

#10 OP Very Strange Person

Very Strange Person

Neowinian

Posted 27 June 2012 - 23:22

Try this:

You know this comes with something called "Quickstore Toolbar" which you can't bloody delete? I'm going to have to format now. Jesus bloody Christ.

#11 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 27 June 2012 - 23:24

It's not a mklink association.

NTFS doesn't care if the root folder still exists.

I think your best bet is the live CD. Sounds like something went whack in your folder listings.

Regarding the toolbar, perhaps try CCleaners uninstaller? You can run it as a portable app so it doesn't install anything.

#12 OP Very Strange Person

Very Strange Person

Neowinian

Posted 27 June 2012 - 23:28

Regarding the toolbar, perhaps try CCleaners uninstaller? You can run it as a portable app so it doesn't install anything.

I tried this. It only disables the toolbar. It's still there in Firefox. EVERY addon I have in Firefox has a Remove option, but NOT the Quickstore Toolbar. I'm currently backing everything up. Thanks to that moron I have to spend my weekend formatting and restoring everything. I'll do a Live CD over the weekend as well.

WARNING TO ALL: Do NOT use Unlocker, and if you do make damn sure you deselect EVERYTHING to do with QUICKSTORE.

#13 Marshall

Marshall

▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▁ ▅

• Tech Issues Solved: 7

Posted 27 June 2012 - 23:30

You're going to format because of a toolbar? Get real...

#14 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 27 June 2012 - 23:30

I tried this. It only disables the toolbar. It's still there in Firefox. EVERY addon I have in Firefox has a Remove option, but NOT the Quickstore Toolbar. I'm currently backing everything up. Thanks to that moron I have to spend my weekend formatting and restoring everything. I'll do a Live CD over the weekend as well.

WARNING TO ALL: Do NOT use Unlocker, and if you do make damn sure you deselect EVERYTHING to do with QUICKSTORE.

The only moron is the one who thinks they need to format to remove a toolbar from firefox

#15 +JTA

JTA

Neowinian

• Phone: GNex

Posted 27 June 2012 - 23:32

I've seen on more occasions than I can count that a folder may well be deleted but still shows up in explorer on Win7. Open a command prompt and dir the folder that the F.E.A.R. folder was in and see if it shows in the list. It may just take a reboot to get it to show (or unshow in this case) properly.

And as others suggested, linux live cd is a easy fix.