Google Nexus 7 or iPad 2

Hi,

I preordered the Google Nexus 7, but now I'm having second thoughts about the purchase. I'd like the community' good opinion on which would be better to go for.

Background -

• Never used an Android device before
  • This will be my first tablet
  • Have been using the iPhone for the past 3 years now and I love it.

What I like and dislike about the Nexus 7 -

• Dislikes
    • Screen size might prove to be too small
    • No back camera
    • Google Play centered - heavily relies on the internet.

[*]Likes

• Quad-core processor
    • The new Jelly Bean OS and the support Google will extend out to further Android updates.
    • The ROM scene

What I have against the iPad 2 -

• Dislikes
    • Old technology, soon it will be phased out from the subsequent iOS updates like the 3GS has been for iOS6.

[*]Likes

• Back camera
    • Familiarity with the OS
    • The number of apps outnumber Google Market

I'd like your good opinion on how much the screen size makes a difference? My usage will be restricted to Surfing, Emailing, movies, music, document editing, etc.

I would hardly be playing any graphic intensive games on the device.

Any suggestions, opinions would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Sibot

I wouldn't put back camera as a point. A front camera for skype/facetime I can understand, but a back one? hmmm the only reason I can see for that is your phone/cameras not at hand or you have a star or special location app.

Really the question is what are you wanting to be done with it?

If its as you say, Games then I think its still the iPad, but android is getting better and better, the only issue I have is the in game buying system thats spreading like a plague.

What else do you want to do?

Read? the kindle is available on both, but I think Nexus will be better on that due to size

Portability, Nexus

Web browsing: iPad

might be a silly question, but why are the iPad 3 and more established Android Tablets (Galaxy Tab, Asus Transformer etc) not up for consideration?

might be a silly question, but why are the iPad 3 and more established Android Tablets (Galaxy Tab, Asus Transformer etc) not up for consideration?

I presume cash?

I have both, but they both have their good points, the iPad is a lot more polished then Android tablets and my Galaxy 8.9 still hasn't had a Android update grrrr

I presume cash?

I have both, but they both have their good points, the iPad is a lot more polished then Android tablets and my Galaxy 8.9 still hasn't had a Android update grrrr

I also presumed cost but just wanted to make sure I understand what the constraints are. Honestly speaking, I would say go for the iPad, the iPad 3 that is as the iPad 2 will be obsolete sooner. I don't know anyone who has an Android Tablet that didn't buy it just because it isn't an iPad, rather than on its own merits.

I also presumed cost but just wanted to make sure I understand what the constraints are. Honestly speaking, I would say go for the iPad, the iPad 3 that is as the iPad 2 will be obsolete sooner. I don't know anyone who has an Android Tablet that didn't buy it just because it isn't an iPad, rather than on its own merits.

I had a iPad 1 but then I also got a Galaxy tablet as I wanted to try out a smaller size and play with Android, they're both good.

I gave my iPad 1 to my family when I upgraded to iPad 3, the only issue with the iPad 3 compared to the 1 is that eats battery power more

I think it really comes down to the screen size and the apps. You're already somewhat invested in the iOS ecosystem. Screen size is just personal preference.

I will say that as a long time iOS user, the Nexus 7 is pretty tempting for the price. I'll definitely check one out in store when I get a chance. Since it's a Nexus device you should have pretty good software support both from Google/Asus and from the community.

Another thing to keep in mind is that it's very possible that Apple will enter this 7" market soon. Last year it was more of a question mark, but this year the Kindle Fire, Nook tablet, and Nexus 7 seem to be making more of a clear market segment.

It sounds like you want the tablet to play around with - Im guessing if it was going to be something more then you would be willing to put the extra cash in and get the latest iPad as your so familiar with Apple.

The Nexus is probably going to be more fun, your not going to be spending too much money so if you decide at some later point that you want to upgrade then you can - You may get bored, who knows.

What I like about the Nexus 7 is that even when Google stops officially supporting the device with the Android updates, there is a massive community that will keep kitchening custom ROMs to work efficiently on the Nexus 7.

Whereas when Apple ditches the iPad 2 with the further iOS updates or even tries to squeeze it in, the features would be cut down, like it happened so with iOS 4.x and the iPhone 3G, which left the phone painstakingly slow even with the feature cut.

Why I'm not going in for the iPad 3 is due to the price. I'll be buying a factory refurb iPad 2, which comes close to the same cost as the Nexus 7, give or take $50.

I feel the need for a tablet to have access to the web when I'm not infront of my desktop. The screen size is the biggest factor here, I'm getting an iPad 2 for my dad because he can't read too well and the big screen would do wonders. As for me, I don't have that problem and can manage a smaller screen, but how "good" is the web experience on a 7" screen is what is debatable.

PS: I forgot to add, but I'd be using the device to chat alot too. So the keyboard response also matters alot.

I wouldn't put back camera as a point. A front camera for skype/facetime I can understand, but a back one? hmmm the only reason I can see for that is your phone/cameras not at hand or you have a star or special location app.

I'm not going to be gaming much at all, at most I'd play Sudoku, which would require no effort on both the devices.

As stated in the main post, the usage will be restricted to web surfing, emailing, visiting forums, viewing and editing documents, reading books, etc. Just the basic usage.

You made a very valid point about the need of a back camera, it's not really needed since I'd be carrying around my iPhone 4. The only use I see for the back camera is that when I'm Skyping with someone and I want to show them around the house or something, I could use the back camera well.

The only use I see for the back camera is that when I'm Skyping with someone and I want to show them around the house or something, I could use the back camera well.

I'll do a test, but I'd think skype would use the front camera and not the back, I'll check to see if it switchable but I'm not sure

Would like to buy a tablet for my parents - wondering this very same question (budget of say ?200, so it'd be between a new Nexus 7 or second hand iPad 2)

Would it be fair to say that for someone who isn't very tech savvy, the iPad is a better bet? Some of the features in Android 4.1 look fantastic, but I don't know if an iPad is an all round better bet, and more accessible for a tablet beginner?

There are certain apps in the iOS eco-system that I can't live without, Reeder, TweetBot to name a few. If I can find alternatives on Android then I'd consider the switch, but until then I'm sticking to iOS devices.

Reeder - Google Currents, Flipboard, Feedly, Pulse and probably more I don't remember or know of.

TweetBot - Tweetcaster, Tweetcomb, Plume, and again probably more that I don't know of.

If you plan to read books/play movies/play games etc., then I think a large part of it depends on which ecosystem you prefer. (Google Play? Apple App/iTunes Store?)

Based on what you described I would think Nexus 7 might be better, simply because it's cheaper and you don't need a high-end device for basic usage. Customization, as you mentioned earlier, is also obviously better on Nexus 7 than iPad. Plus, if you don't like the keyboard you can always install another one - there's bound to be one out there which suits your needs.

That said, if you put a big focus on browsing the web, then a bigger and better display from the iPad would be better.

Reeder - Google Currents, Flipboard, Feedly, Pulse and probably more I don't remember or know of.

TweetBot - Tweetcaster, Tweetcomb, Plume, and again probably more that I don't know of.

He's most probably aware of the alternatives. However he may think they are not up to the level of the iPad apps. In my two years using Android I never found alternatives to some of the apps I loved in my original iPad. Today I have an iPad 3. Android is great, but it's ecosystem is not for some of us.

The answer is obvious and easy: iPad 3

When Google fixes the mess they have with Android and the Play Store and improves the sorry-ass apps they have then maybe I will consider an Android tablet or phone.

Here's my take on it.

I think a lot of people might enjoy both. Nexus 7 is a great every day device that you can use in your bed and just more portable. You get the best from Android world and an OS that has been refined so much that most of the critiques coming from Apple leaning folks are now gone. If you enjoy Siri, reviews are saying that Google Now is much better and faster than Siri, so if that's important to you, that's definitely a plus.

It's $200 so theoretically can take a jump and even if you don't like it I think you will easily sell it and you won't lose a lot.

I would say go with Nexus 7 and if you don't like it you can always save money and just buy the latest iPad.

I think you might find a bit of an issue jumping from iOS to Android because you are so used to iOS now that you are already pretty tied to iOS and if that's the case you might be happier with iPad.

I think it's really a question where you want to go. If you want to live in Android world, which is very interesting and vibrant (despite all the flaw claims some are putting out) you will eventually want to switch your phone because as you will see Android eco-system is so interconnected that once you start using Android device you will want to have everything Android and have things just magically sync and work.

He's most probably aware of the alternatives. However he may think they are not up to the level of the iPad apps. In my two years using Android I never found alternatives to some of the apps I loved in my original iPad. Today I have an iPad 3. Android is great, but it's ecosystem is not for some of us.

I think more and more apps that were exclusive to iOS are now on Android and it will continue to get better and better. I'm not sure but I can find most apps I use on iPad on Google Play as well or at least decent replacements. One such example are Adobe apps, Sketchbook pro, Evernote and many others I use every day on both.

If the screen size is the deal breaking issue for you go with the iPad. Otherwise, the Nexus has it beat in almost every area. And being a vanilla device it will be easy to root and will receive updates pretty promptly (and even when Google stop providing updates you'll probably find community ROMs that work). The Nexus also has a lot more pixel density than the iPad 2 (216 PPI vs 132 PPI on the iPad 2) so it's likely to be easier to read with, and images will look a bit sharper.

I would really just go with the iPad. It's what you know, it's got a better ecosystem, and it's all around a more reliable and polished package. I don't think you'll regret it if you do, but different strokes for different folks :)

I expect that Apple will at least support the iPad 2 for two more OS updates, just because they're still selling it this far into the game. You can make the argument that it's going to get old with any device, whether it's a new PC, and iPad 3, or a Nexus. And once they do quit supporting it, there are always those 'other' options to keep it useful for you ;)

Would like to buy a tablet for my parents - wondering this very same question (budget of say ?200, so it'd be between a new Nexus 7 or second hand iPad 2)

Would it be fair to say that for someone who isn't very tech savvy, the iPad is a better bet? Some of the features in Android 4.1 look fantastic, but I don't know if an iPad is an all round better bet, and more accessible for a tablet beginner?

I think that the iPad UI model is pretty easy to learn for someone new to tablets or computers. There's also really not much you can mess up, even if you try.