Google Nexus 7 or iPad 2

The Nexus 7 is mostly an eReader with more features than a cheap under 100$ eReader. Sorta like Kindle Fire but probably more open.

The iPad is a "tablet".

I think if you're looking for an eReader with more features than a simple eReader you should look at the Nexus and other Android tablets with smaller screen. If you're looking for a tablet then look at something with a bigger screen imo.

The iPad might be a good choice if you already paid for iPad compatible apps on your phone. I actually like my iPod a lot and would have no problem buying an iPad if a tableat is what i would be looking for. People say iOS is boring i actually think it's really simple to useand it simply just works which is what you are looking for in a tablet (some people often mix tablet and laptop).

I like both andriod and apple iOS, I prefer android due to it's openness / hackability, and lack of restriction's apple has on the ipad.

That being said, the restrictions is what give ipad a more stable, standardized usage.

If I were to make a choice right now, it would be the Nexus 7"

As long as it's actively supported, it will get all the updates from Google 1st, and will be the focus of modding communities that will be able to do a lot of cool stuff with it (just like the nexus phones) in the future.

I have never saw anyone take pictures with an iPad (except for this idiot: http://obamapacman.c...bama-3g-ipad-2/). They look pretty silly if you ask me. I have the iPad (3rd Generation) and I preordered the Nexus 7. Both products look great but they are very different. Size, ecosystem, and price. The Nexus 7 is meant to compete with the Kindle Fire.

On a side note, I have never used the back camera on my iPad 2, iPad 3rd Generation and my Motorola Xoom. Personally, they should beef up the front camera. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are applications out there for it but for me there isn't. May I ask why you need the back camera?

Really these are two different markets. Do you want a car or a truck...they both will do the same thing. I have a seven inch tablet and love it but reading comics I wish it was bigger. for games I think it is perfect.

What I like and dislike about the Nexus 7 -

• Dislikes
    • Screen size might prove to be too small <--- Not too small for everyday things but reading comics can be a hassle with the special fonts.
    • No back camera <-- non point.
    • Google Play centered - heavily relies on the internet. <-- same for the ipad when u get apps

What I have against the iPad 2 -

• Dislikes
    • Old technology, soon it will be phased out from the subsequent iOS updates like the 3GS has been for iOS6. <-- old? this will get ios6. still selling like hotcakes.

[*]Likes

• Back camera
    • Familiarity with the OS
    • The number of apps outnumber Google Market <-- really both have great apps. You can find anything on either.

I have a tablet with CM9 on it and I think it just sucks. The OS isn't implemented well on tablets imo. I got an Ipad and I could not be happier. The device works really well compared to android and the apps are so much better. I find Android a bit cumbersome to use and the apps are mostly designed for the phone. If you have an Android phone with ICS you will see that on the tablet it is the exact same thing.

There are so many little things about IOS that makes it so much better and easier to use.

• Like 1

play.google.com VS iTunes is what you are really asking.

$200 Vs $500, A back camera vs no back camera.

I noticed with my OTA telus ICS upgrade, my device don't find as many apps as my gingerbread older phone does... like gingerbread apps are not supported in ICS or require the ICS upgrade which the developer isn't going to do. I would think means the NEWER version of OS, JellyBean, likely won't work with these apps either. This right here is why I hate android. It works on my cell, but not my other cell.. but it will run on my 10" acer, but not on my 7" hipgear tab. WHY???

Apple has facetime and iMessage. Neither of these exist on Android devices. you need to use skype or google+ for video, facebook or twitter for messaging. Not every device can install Google+ or skype too remember. Tis is not a problem if none of your friends have iOS/OSX/wont use facetime or iMessage. Skype and google+ work fine on the iPad 2, which also has stellar battery life since the 32nm chip redesign when the 3 launched.

Also consider iOS is 65% of the market. This is falling more and more each day, but the key point is developers will put $$$ and time into iOS FIRST as there's more potential sales due to larger fan-base. If they are releasing it for 'free' then Android will be top-dog as its ad-supported/internet required programs. Theres very few if any android-specific high profile apps.

Also, the ROM scene is the most disgusting thing I have seen. I applaud it, but if you are not a coder or theres no good user base, the ROM development lacks terribly. Like with my 10" Acer and SGH-T989 SGS2X. SGS2X had a functional ICS release (I didn't lose features that worked in GB) 4 weeks after telus did the OTA upgrade. The international SGS2 had ICS months before the OTA update... Otherwise I was cross-flashing as a skyrocket/SGH-i727, which you know, screams reliable device.... Lots of time wasted looking up what was possible.

I own or owned them all. Android is awesome for a phone, and iOS is awesome on a tablet. hands down. Android wasn't designed to be used on a tablet, unlike iOS which adds a lot of tablet specific features like gesture control. ICS is barely rolled out to 10% of devices which can take the update, but JellyBean devices are already coming.. Trying hard to catch up.

TL;DR - get the iPad 2 if you can swing it, Its bigger and more feature-packed.

Google Play centered - heavily relies on the internet.

No more then the iPad relies on the internet I would argue..

The number of apps outnumber Google Market

I wouldn't look at numbers of apps, most of the apps on both platforms are garbage so people can use them to make money, except the top 5%, which is likely all you are going to use anyway

I'd pick the Nexus 7 over the iPad 2. The screen size being one of the biggest reasons. I find the screen on the iPad to be a bit large to my liking, and this size makes it heavier than it should be.

But yet, I'd take the Nexus 7 over the iPad 2 and I'm a pretty big fan of Apple. Nexus 7 just offers more value and although there are not as many apps, there will always be more coming.

For your usage, the bigger screen is a no-brainer to go for. Browsing and typing emails on a 7" screen is going to be a nightmare.

Plus Android doesn't have native tablet apps, so that's a huge downside.

Google Play centered - heavily relies on the internet.

No more then the iPad relies on the internet I would argue..

The number of apps outnumber Google Market

I wouldn't look at numbers of apps, most of the apps on both platforms are garbage so people can use them to make money, except the top 5%, which is likely all you are going to use anyway

Google releases 100% free apps, but they are ad-driven. These apps need the internet to work properly or they error out. (unless the coder can't code, as most do an internet lock so to speak so it can grab the ads and link when you click them)

The number of apps are irrelevant, but the quality and update cycle isn't.

Android is known for having some apps only running on *some* devices. where iOS, specifically the iPad, will run ALL iOS programs but may look like **** (for the 2, get cydia's retinapad)

My main issue with Android is the lack of true tablet apps. They're all essentially just blown up versions of their phone counterparts, something that isn't likely to change anytime soon. But then again iOS 6 is probably going to be the end of the line for the iPad 2.

All in all I'd probably pick the Google Nexus 7.

I have both an iPad 2 and the new iPad. I also have an almost 2 year old Galaxy Tab, which has 3G, while both iPads are WiFi only. If you only need WiFi, to me, it's a toss up. For me, the Nexus 7 isn't a choice because of the lack of cellular connection. I use the iPads at work (2) and home (new) for a lot of stuff, and on the road, the G-Tab gets busy.

I seem to be one of the rare ducks that loves Android and iOS about the same. Both have some nice things, some quirky things. iOS has more polished software, but the 4.x line of Android is beautiful on good hardware. Frankly, whatever kinds of software you need, both pretty much have you covered, though some titles are only on one device. iOS is a bit cleaner as viruses go. Both have some minor memory management issues.

My own recommendation to you would be grab the one you enjoy most. I must admit, I would recommend the newer iPad and not the iPad 2. You can get the newer one in the refurbs now, which is pretty much the best way to buy Apple products.

Whichever you choose, I hope you'll drop us a note to tell us. (Now watch, because I didn't read all the way through, I'll find out you already decided. LOL) Whatever you buy, enjoy! To be honest, you can't go wrong with either from what I see.

For your usage, the bigger screen is a no-brainer to go for. Browsing and typing emails on a 7" screen is going to be a nightmare.

Plus Android doesn't have native tablet apps, so that's a huge downside.

Well, yes it does have native tablet apps. Nice ignorant comment there.

Just because it doesn't have as many catered for tablets as the iPad does doesn't mean it doesn't have any at all.

• Like 2

Android does indeed have tablet apps, many of the same titles as the iPad has. And unlike the iPad, they scale to size.

I checked the Apple site just now, and no refurbed new iPads are up yet.

By the way, from what I can find, the iPad 2 on iOS 6 will only differ in function in that it will not have Siri, so you won't be able to get humorous or embarrassing responses from Siri. I suspect it will run about the same speed as the new iPad since the new one has a lot more work eating cycles for the screen. I know on mine, I cannot tell the difference, and even with the retina screen in play on the new iPad, the iPad 2 still looks great to me.

This is a long one, but you want opinions and comparisons, so here you go!

First to reply to your original points:

What I like and dislike about the Nexus 7 -

• Dislikes
    • Screen size might prove to be too small I've found the 7" screen on my Playbook to be far superior to the 10" screen on my iPad 2. The iPad makes a good sitting around the house device. The 7" screen is FAR more portable.
    • No back camera Definitely not a negative. I have two tablets, both have back cameras, and both are absolutely pointless. There isn't one single time I've wanted to use the back camera on my tablet. Actually, I take that back, I used my bank's check cashing tool on my iPad last night because the app was crashing on my phone. The quality was so horrible that I only hope they accept it.
    • Google Play centered - heavily relies on the internet. No more so than the iPad is App Store centered. In fact, far less actually. You can side load apps on Android, you can toss anything on it by just dragging and dropping from your computer. So if any part of this is some kind of negative, then it would be even more of a negative for the iPad.

[*]Likes

• Quad-core processor Definitely beats the iPad 2 CPU, plus more memory.
    • The new Jelly Bean OS and the support Google will extend out to further Android updates. Nexus device means no worries about device support for the future and quick updates, one of the biggest complaints about Android.
    • The ROM scene

What I have against the iPad 2 -

• Dislikes
    • Old technology, soon it will be phased out from the subsequent iOS updates like the 3GS has been for iOS6. Yes, this is true compared to the Nexus 7. The iPad 2 works very well still, but Apple introduces a lot of arbitrary restrictions to make you upgrade. Android devices, on the other hand, just get forgotten about by their manufacturers shortly after release, but at least they have custom ROMs to keep them going.

[*]Likes

• Back camera Quality on par with my Motorola RAZR (not current Droid RAZR.... the ORIGINAL RAZR). In fact, I had the RAZR V3X and it's camera was MASSIVELY better than the iPad 2's camera.
    • Familiarity with the OS This is a definite plus for someone who has been in one ecosystem for a long time, but if you're willing to learn something new, it gives you a whole new world to explore and you can be like I am and have Android and iOS devices so you never have to miss out on something that's only on one.
    • The number of apps outnumber Google Market Heh, I have no doubt that's true, but you would barely be able to tell. Apple's iPad app selection is fairly dismal itself. I constantly find myself searching for things that aren't there. And scaled up iPhone apps look like ass on the iPad.

So, if it were up to me to get a $399 iPad 2, or a $249 Nexus 7 (both 16 GB prices), the choice is crystal clear. I wouldn't even think twice and I'd get the Nexus 7. As I said, I currently have an iPad 2 and a Blackberry Playbook. I never ever use my Playbook (and very rarely use my iPad), but I can't tell you how much more I like it's size over the iPad. The iPad has a couple of things against it. For one, a 10" tablet is a bit much to just carry around with you. Sure, it's far smaller than a laptop, and it's certainly not hard to toss in a bag, but with a 7" tablet you can fit it in a big pocket if you wanted to. You can much easier carry it around with you. I don't know, it's not like the iPad 2 has portability issues, but I personally think the 7" is far better for being on the go, and the iPad is far better for sitting on the couch. Another thing that REALLY bothers me about the iPad is the ridiculous aspect ratio. I understand that it's supposed to be roughly the shape of a piece of paper, but my iPad is a media device, not a piece of paper. I would much prefer my tablet fit my media better than being the shape of a piece of paper.

Not to mention that for nearly half the price, the Nexus 7 beats out the iPad 2 in almost every spec there is. CPU, RAM, screen resolution, etc. If you're already and iOS fan, then the iPad would be very familiar, but like I was saying above, I like having both iOS and Android devices, that way I can have the best of both worlds, so maybe already having an iPhone and knowing iOS isn't necessarily a good reason to stick with it unless you're dead set on having iOS, which I'm guessing by this thread, you aren't.

Now, based on what you said you'd use the devices for:

One thing that I will give you is that typing is far better on the iPad. The 10" size means I can put it in landscape mode and set it on the table and type just like I'm on a regular keyboard, and with surprising accuracy. I can probably get a good 80 WPM out of my iPad like that. The 7" just wouldn't be quite as comfortable. This would be good for emails. However... I never ever ever write emails on my iPad. If I'm not at a computer, I usually just use my phone. If I need to type something further out, I probably still don't want to use an on screen keyboard on my iPad, no matter how easy it is to type. I still find myself using either my computer or my phone, never my tablet. Maybe you'd be different, but consider if you actually would be or not.

As for movies and music, Android is a clear winner. Android has far more support for more formats, and has a nicer screen and better aspect ratio for video. Third party applications will help you play nearly any format you want, something that's FAR more difficult on the iPad. The iPad can't touch an Android device when it comes to being a media tablet.

Anyway, I'm a bit of an Android fan over iOS, but Android is the one tablet I DON'T have. I actually think I'll end up picking up a Nexus 7 soon, then I can compare the two better, but I'd almost trade my iPad 2 for a Nexus 7 and eat the price difference. My iPad 2 is such a pointless device. I'm sure there are a lot of cool things you CAN do with it, and if you have a specific app that fits your needs that it has, then great, but as for me, I find myself looking through a list of pointless apps and never using any of them. My most used app list on my iPad would probably be Mint, Facebook, RadarScope, and email. All of which are available on other platforms. Past that I typically turn it on, flip a couple pages, find there's nothing that I want to do on it, and turn it back off.

Also, just a couple here to reply to:

Apple has facetime and iMessage. Neither of these exist on Android devices. you need to use skype or google+ for video, facebook or twitter for messaging. Not every device can install Google+ or skype too remember. Tis is not a problem if none of your friends have iOS/OSX/wont use facetime or iMessage. Skype and google+ work fine on the iPad 2, which also has stellar battery life since the 32nm chip redesign when the 3 launched.

Android has, and has had for a long time, Google Talk. It's messaging and video chat all in one, and cross platforms to any computer in the world if you log into Gmail. Far better support than Facetime has.

Also, the ROM scene is the most disgusting thing I have seen. I applaud it, but if you are not a coder or theres no good user base, the ROM development lacks terribly. Like with my 10" Acer and SGH-T989 SGS2X. SGS2X had a functional ICS release (I didn't lose features that worked in GB) 4 weeks after telus did the OTA upgrade. The international SGS2 had ICS months before the OTA update... Otherwise I was cross-flashing as a skyrocket/SGH-i727, which you know, screams reliable device.... Lots of time wasted looking up what was possible.

Sounds like an obvious case of user error to me. Yes, some devices have poor developer support, no Nexus device is like that though, and that's what we're talking about here. You can flash stable ROMs if you want, or you can flash bleeding edge ROMs if you want. If you flash bleeding edge ROMs and then have no idea why your device is unstable, you probably shouldn't be flashing ROMs in the first place.

My main issue with Android is the lack of true tablet apps. They're all essentially just blown up versions of their phone counterparts, something that isn't likely to change anytime soon. But then again iOS 6 is probably going to be the end of the line for the iPad 2.

All in all I'd probably pick the Google Nexus 7.

Skype, Firefox and facebook are terrible on Samsung Galaxy tab 10.1 :/

Just because it doesn't have as many catered for tablets as the iPad does doesn't mean it doesn't have any at all.

Proof? AFAIK, there isn't a "tablets" section in Google Play. Everything is just scaled and stretched versions of the phone apps. Thus, not native.

Learn how to read...

Notice how I said "native" tablet apps...

A phone app running on a tablet isn't a native app... Try again...

Are you just pretending to be dumb or what? Try clicking some of the links that come up when you google that. You'll find a number of native tablet apps.

Here's an example to help you: https://play.google....mNvbS5taW50Il0.

Mint, which has a very nice iPad and Android tablet version. Look at the screenshots to see pics from the tablet native version.

Here are some other high profile apps with tablet versions:

FlightTrack: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobiata.flighttrack&feature=apps_tablet_featured

OpenTable: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.opentable&feature=apps_tablet_featured

Google Play Music: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.music&feature=apps_tablet_featured

All of which have tablet screenshots on their pages.

Android as a platform doesn't have apps truly tailored for tablets in the same/a similar way as iOS. That's probably what he was referring to.

Very few people get an iPad and regret it. The same can not be said about Android.

I admit that this is true for almost anything apple releases, but the fact is most people buy Apple products for two reasons:

1) They are no-brainer products. They take no thought to operate, which makes them easy and simple to use. The best feature on anything from Apple.

2) The brand. People buy them because they are Apple products, and feel the premium gets them better stuff.

The thing about android is, with a little knowledge you get:

1) Flexibility - there is a lot more you can do with the android platform. If your goal is to never explore your device, then get something from Apple.

2) Continued support - as has been mentioned continuously, Apple will try and coax you into spending more money and upgrading, while with Android the community will keep you going until you want to upgrade.

3) More bang for your buck - No matter what anyone says, Apple charges a premium for their brand and as such Android platforms result in a better price point for similar quality.

This really just comes down to what and how you use the device. In terms of the OP's question, if it is for your parents get an iPad (although I'd go for an iPad 3 if possible). I have converted my entire family to using Mac Book Pro's and other Apple devices merely because they are just easy. For me, after reading through this thread, I'm already considering buying a Nexus 7. But I still don't even know if I want to make the jump to tablets at all. Still, the Nexus makes it very tempting at $200.