Photo

Are you going to upgrade to Windows 8?

win8 upgrade win8

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

Poll: Are you going to upgrade to Windows 8?

Are you going to upgrade to Windows 8?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• 24,230 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:11

The price for the upgrade to Win8 Pro is cheap. Really cheap. How many of you are tempted by it to take the plunge and upgrade, Metro or not?

Discuss.

#2 Blueclub

Blueclub

Neowinian

• 800 posts
  • Phone: OnePlus One

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:17

I will be buying it for sure!

#3 simrat

simrat

pooonjabi!

• 3,100 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5 (stock)

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:18

I will be upgrading to Windows 8, Because Classic shell looks promising and i like the improvements MS introduced in Windows 8.

#4 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 11,813 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:21

I would consider it if the third party tools like Classic Shell continue to work. Otherwise I'll just switch to Windows 7 or stick with OS X.

#5 +Chicane-UK

Chicane-UK

Neowinian Senior

• 9,916 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:22

I remain unconvinced on Windows 8.. the things I've seen do not fill me with huge amounts of confidence. But I'm more than willing to give it a try when it RTM's and makes general availability on MSDN / TechNet.. and I'll make my mind up then :)

#6 Shaun N.

Shaun N.

Perfidious

• 5,369 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:25

I'll be switching to Fedora 17 very shortly as I don't like the direction Microsoft are going with Windows 8 and I'm jumping from this boat now.

#7 derkim

derkim

Neowinian

• 543 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:26

A clear no. I don't like the concept, I don't like the design. No Windows 8 for me.

#8 soldier1st

soldier1st

Software Tester/Tech/Linux Lover

• 5,325 posts
  • Phone: HTC Incredible S

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:30

No. The way Win8 is atm. Unless options allow to change certain things. My next move is to Linux from Win7.

#9 rfirth

rfirth

Software Engineer

• 4,327 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 620

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:02

It can be somewhat of a shock to the system initially. Once you get used to it, it's great. It's definitely not hard to use with a mouse, although I'd avoid the metro apps for the most part - they are. Evaluate which apps work for you and dump the rest. Don't judge Windows 8 (yet) for it's current apps.

I'm developing a metro app myself, and it will definitely be much more mouse friendly than what you currently see in the Windows Store. Windows 8 itself is great, but the current apps don't seem to target non-tablets. My app is touch+mouse done right... I'm talking to Microsoft about getting it in the store very soon... they wanted it in May, but I'm not in any rush to release a free app :p

So yes, I'll definitely be upgrading to Windows 8... but it's free to all students at my university anyway, so there isn't any monetary investment to make anyway.

#10 InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter

Neowinian Senior

• 3,828 posts
  • Phone: OnePlus One

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:13

I have no plans to downgrade upgrade to Windows 8 at this time, it doesn't offer anything that justifies upgrading multiple PC in our house from Windows 7.

However If it works out at £25 with the $40 upgrade offer here in the UK I might purchase a copy "just incase" as my oppinnion on it might change in the future.

#11 +d5aqoëp

d5aqoëp

Banned

• 3,224 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:18

Yes I will be downgrading to Windows 8. Then I will troll on forums like these. Once that is done, I will be happy. :)

#12 OP +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• 24,230 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:20

I'm in the 'Maybe' camp. There are some improvements in Win8, and I could get used to the Metro start screen. Whether or not it'll be enough to get me to upgrade from Windows 7 remains to be seen.

#13 georgevella

georgevella

Software Developer

• 1,125 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:20

I make heavy use of HyperV for testing and being included in Win8 means I will be buying this for sure. My workflow was never affected by the introduction of Metro (I simply don't use it + having a full screen search window is a plus).

#14 Grayski

Grayski

Neowinian

• 316 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:28

However If it works out at £25 with the $40 upgrade offer here in the UK I might purchase a copy "just incase" as my oppinnion on it might change in the future.

Same here.

I can't say I'm entirely convinced by Windows 8. There are days when I see what they are trying to achieve and understand that change must happen for things to progress, then there are days that I utterly hate the Start Screen. It just feels rather unfinished and like something else in the way of me getting to what I want.

I have the RC installed on a machine here for testing and playing with but upgrading my primary machine would probably not happen for some time. £25 for the Pro upgrade would be stupid to pass up though just in case.

#15 scorpian007

scorpian007

Neowinian

• 231 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 930 Orange

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:32

For $40, might as well get it. I really like how responsive and fast Windows 8 is. The Metro UI with keyboard and mouse will take some getting used to, not sure if I'm sold on the idea yet but can't hurt to try it. Otherwise I can always stick with Windows 7 for my desktop and buy a Surface.