OUYA: $99 Game Console

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#16 +TruckWEB

TruckWEB

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 11 July 2012 - 23:38

I'm IN! Gonna have a OUYA! Now, what are they going to do with the extra cash on hand?

I hope they use the fastest Tegra3....

#17 The King of GnG

The King of GnG

Knight and King of the Great Hell Village

• Phone: Windows Phone

Posted 11 July 2012 - 23:56

I won't touch this "thing" with gloves on. Why? Because I'm with Jonathan Blow on the "free-to-play" "content" real value: these are not games but just cogs deformed to make money. And I'm a gamer since 1989, not a consumer, not a customer, not a "casual" player. A gamer.

http://venturebeat.c...kind-of-a-slum/

#18 Perfect72

Perfect72

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 12 July 2012 - 00:24

Nevertheless, Blow said that he wants to do a free-to-play game at some point. However, it won’t have premium items like “hats.” He instead envisions a system in which players pay a dollar for a level to explore with a friend. According to Blow, “That’s a respectful way to treat players. Tweet this game to your friends is not a way to treat players.”

What? And you listen to this guy?

That is an even more disrespectful way to treat a gamer. Charge them a dollar to unlock more of the "free to play" game. I'd rather have the option to buy a "hat," then be forced to pay for extra levels, to play the game.
This guy is a kook.

#19 PALMERx64

PALMERx64

Neowinian

• Phone: N/A

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:46

Noo! You beat me to it. I was going to post this the other day but I waited. :p

The concept of it sounds awesome... But we'll see how good it is when it's more then just a prototype/concept.
Hopefully it does well, because I'd like to see something new as opposed to the usual corporate greed dominating the market.

P.S. Open source FTW :D

#20 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:18

2 Questions.

1. The one rule a game must adhere to for this console is to have some form of free gameplay, and then they go on to mention that you can have a demo, in-game items, or a subscription. Since when is "subscription" equal to "free"?

2. If it's easy to root, and rooting doesn't void the warranty then why do we have to root in the first place? Why not just have the console be totally open, up front?

edit: THREE questions.

3. How do you pronounce "OUYA"?

1. it's basically XBLA in a dedicated console. there won't be free games, there will be demos just like XBLA. and i doubt you'll see much more advanced games, soif you have an xbox, it's useless.

2. because regular people don't root, don't need it, and it should't be rooted. it's as stupid as running windows XP as admin. rooting is only marketing to the geeks. if they actually sell this thing in reasonable numbers. the amount of people that will root, hack and mod it, will be a mere fraction of the userbase.

#21 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• Phone: Galaxy S4

Posted 12 July 2012 - 13:11

I won't touch this "thing" with gloves on. Why? Because I'm with Jonathan Blow on the "free-to-play" "content" real value: these are not games but just cogs deformed to make money. And I'm a gamer since 1989, not a consumer, not a customer, not a "casual" player. A gamer.

http://venturebeat.c...kind-of-a-slum/

Wow. So okay, since you felt the need to mention it, I have been gaming since 1979 when the Atari was first introduced by my father in my house. Have owned pretty much every major console since, a Commodore 64, the list keeps going and going. Only mention it because you do. So tell me, what does the invention of this console have anything to do with that at all? If anything, it should mean you know that smaller games can still be good. But apparently you have forgotten games from 1989 and remember them as some glorious productions.

And what the hell are you on about? Not a consumer? WTF does that even mean? If you have ever owned a console, any hardware, or purchased any software or games, you are a consumer. Maybe because you are leet press you get your video games for free now, but you have no doubt been a consumer at some point, or else you would have never been able to be a gamer.

Oh I get it, you mean you hate games that only want you to spend money. So if a game has a model that it requires micro transactions in order to get the most out of it, then simple, do not purchase it. That has been my approach on things. But you make it out that all of these games are set up on that model, when that simply is just not the case. Some of them are going to be absolute rubbish, but again, you make it out like they are only cash grabbers? Really, a game like Minecraft revolves around microtransactions? Same with Canabalt?

Not only that, if you have been gaming for so long, then you should be the first person to know big budget and graphics do not mean jack ****. It is the gameplay. And these smaller games have the potential to have great gameplay and be inexpensive. And who is to say people will not start releasing $15 games on this console? people keep misconstruing the whole free thing without realizing all that means is at the very least all games are required to have a demo version, just as XBLA does. So yeah, way to blow that out of proportion.

And I am actually not the biggest fan of the whole mobile gaming craze, I have gone on record stating that multiple times, but to make it out like this console is some awful machine, when it seems to me the intent is to allow smaller developers to get away from just being on the smaller screens of mobile/tablet devices and get them into what is more the gaming experience of the larger screen, seriously, what is so bad about that? That is why I funded it, for the potential it has to get smaller developers more recognition. And I also personally purchased it because I believe once rooted it is going to have crazy potential.

Honestly for $99 even if it winds up being a flop, that is a chance I am willing to take as it is still less in price then 2 retail full console games. It is the spirit behind the console that I support. And I really am not sure why anyone who calls themselves a gamer would not support that spirit. because there are no doubt going to be games that are just money grabbers? Those games exist on every platform do they not?

#22 Perfect72

Perfect72

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 July 2012 - 14:03

Up to nearly $4 million dollars.
Wonder what they will do with the overflow :p.

That is awesome though. A lot of people have support in this thing. :laugh:

#23 OP still1

still1

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 July 2012 - 14:38

Up to nearly $4 million dollars.
Wonder what they will do with the overflow :p.

That is awesome though. A lot of people have support in this thing. :laugh:

The support is for low price and open hackability. with free contents.

All, MS and Sony do is rip us off with games. I really regret buying those $50-60 games.

#24 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 12 July 2012 - 15:23

How is more money to the hardware makes going to lead to more free content from independent game developers...

As I said, this will just be an XBLA box. if you have an xbox it's worthless.

#25 Perfect72

Perfect72

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 July 2012 - 15:27

How is more money to the hardware makes going to lead to more free content from independent game developers...

The fact that it is completely open to do whatever you want to it (and still be under warranty) and being as cheap as it is.
I can only imagine what the hacking community or the guys over at XDA are going to come up with for this thing.
I've rooted and flashed my phone multiple times with different ROMs, but this is a console. I really think we are going to see some really, really great content come from this thing, whether it be games, apps, or maybe something no one has thought of yet to do with a console. And like I said, it is so cheap, that bricking it, unlike bricking an (overpriced) phone or tablet, you would be less worried, due to the fact it is so easy to get another one.

#26 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 July 2012 - 15:35

It's going to be more like an Xbox Indie box.

#27 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 12 July 2012 - 16:28

The fact that it is completely open to do whatever you want to it (and still be under warranty) and being as cheap as it is.
I can only imagine what the hacking community or the guys over at XDA are going to come up with for this thing.
I've rooted and flashed my phone multiple times with different ROMs, but this is a console. I really think we are going to see some really, really great content come from this thing, whether it be games, apps, or maybe something no one has thought of yet to do with a console. And like I said, it is so cheap, that bricking it, unlike bricking an (overpriced) phone or tablet, you would be less worried, due to the fact it is so easy to get another one.

I'd be more interested in XDA ripping the software off the console box and porting it to phones. I could use my HTC One X that has the same specs and hook up a bluetooth controller and use HDMI out.

#28 Perfect72

Perfect72

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 July 2012 - 17:34

I'd be more interested in XDA ripping the software off the console box and porting it to phones. I could use my HTC One X that has the same specs and hook up a bluetooth controller and use HDMI out.

See? The possibilities! :rofl:

#29 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• Phone: Android

Posted 12 July 2012 - 18:01

Main issues aside from the fake free to play is:

1. By the time this comes out the hardware is going to be old
2. Play games don't always scale up to TV resolutions quite yet
3. more likely no access the the actual Google Play Store

#30 +TruckWEB

TruckWEB

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 July 2012 - 18:19

31,821 BACKERS

$4,086,852 PLEDGED OF $950,000 GOAL

27 DAYS TO GO
----------------------------------------------------------

It's impressive the amount they are getting. People must really like the idea.